Thread: Wallabies and Springboks to face off in epic showdown at Optus Stadium in August

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Wallabies and Springboks to face off in epic showdown at Optus Stadium in August

Jessica Evensen
    PerthNow - Central
    February 15, 2024 2:00AM

The Wallabies are set to take on the reigning Rugby World Cup champions in an epic showdown later this year after Rugby Australia revealed Optus Stadium had secured both teams for a one-day match in August.

The Wallabies will go up against the South African Springboks on August 17, a blockbuster game expected to generate millions of dollars for the local economy through interstate and international visitors.

“We know the huge benefits that hosting major international sporting events like this bring to Western Australia, so we’re very excited to be hosting this blockbuster between two proud rugby nations,” Tourism Minister Rita Saffioti said.

“We’re expecting thousands of out-of-state visitors to come to WA, and of course, it will be even easier for South African flights to make the journey over with the direct flight from Johannesburg relaunching in April.

“Importantly, Western Australian businesses will also benefit from this major event with millions of dollars in visitor spend expected to be generated for our local tourism and hospitality operators.”

Just last month the State Government announced that flights between Johannesburg and Perth would recommence in April.

WA is expected to see an additional 39,000 South African passengers each year as a result of the flight.

“We have a very proud South African community here in WA, so no doubt friends will become foes for the evening in what’s shaping up to be another blockbuster rugby event here in Perth,” Sport and Recreation Minister David Templeman said.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/local-ne...ust-c-13530307

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    I don't think I have ever been to a one day rugby match, do you think they will be allowed to increase the bench or will it just be the normal 23 players each?

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Wicket will probably be pretty green in August, bowling first would be the right call.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    I don't think I have ever been to a one day rugby match, do you think they will be allowed to increase the bench or will it just be the normal 23 players each?
    Nah, I think they'll just follow the standard procedure of two innings with a limitation on the number of balls being played.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Nah, I think they'll just follow the standard procedure of two innings with a limitation on the number of balls being played.
    Slow over rates are a pet peeve of mine so hopefully the Ref is onto any time wasting.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Veteran
    vCash
    im glad i am not the only one who got caught up on that wording....

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    .... more importantly is that now a likley non rugby knowledgeable journalist knows there is a match on.

Spreading the word....

This is what we need, more people to know our sport is present in our great city

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Champion
    vCash
    Typical of rugby reporting in WA. Perth Now is owned by our friends at The Worst so it's no surprise.

vCash
    Are Force members getting presale? I believe Wallaby First members go on sale today