Thread: Super Rugby Pacific introduces offside law variations

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Super Rugby Pacific introduces offside law variations

Tue, Feb 13, 2024, 5:57 AM
    Nathan Williamson

Super Rugby Pacific will look to encourage more counterattacking from kicking duals as they tweak the offside laws.

The current laws state players can be put onside from a kick if the ball is either passed or the ball carrier runs five metres.

Don't miss Super Round 2024 in Melbourne from March 1-3. Get your tickets now!

This limits the amount of opportunities and space to attack, leading to further kicking between the teams.

Super Rugby Pacific’s Law Innovation will remove those two clauses, meaning defenders will remain offside until they have been put onside by a teammate who has come from behind the kicker, or the kicker themself.

“We want to create a game that’s exciting for our fans and enjoyable for our players," Super Rugby Pacific Chair Kevin Malloy said. "Part of that is seeing our players running the ball rather than trading multiple kicks in a battle for territory. We’re listening to our fans and with the full support of New Zealand Rugby,

"Rugby Australia, and our coaches we’ve responded with a small change we think could make a big difference.

“Fans have been vocal in recent times about teams exploiting a loophole that’s seen large number of players standing still while kicks go over their heads in what some people have called kick tennis.

"We don’t believe that’s the spectacle our fans want to see in Super Rugby Pacific.

"We want to open up the opportunity for teams to counterattack with the ball in hand and we’re confident this tweak to the law will encourage that trend and encourage exciting, attacking rugby.”

The Law Innovation has been sanctioned by World Rugby as a trial during the 2024 Super Rugby Pacific season.

“We were really happy with the spectacle last year and hence we have only made one tweak to the laws for 2024," Molloy added.

"We want to keep building an exciting, fast-moving brand of rugby that our fans want to watch.”

https://www.rugby.com.au/news/super-...ations-2024212

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    I'm going to caveat this comment with the rule of unintended consequences, but at first glance, this looks like a good variation.

Now it only remains to be seen how coaches and players exploit this law and the various loopholes it might open.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

Player
    vCash
    This was enforced during the trial game on Saturday.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Longeran was the first to fall foul to it, thats why Cooper had to take additional time explaining the penalty call to him at the time

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Rookie
    vCash
    Yes and in my opinion that situation should have always been a penalty, it is ridiculous if it is not so this should be a good change

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I didn't factor any new interpretation with Lonergan, he was well offside to start with, pointed to where he wanted it kicked and immediately advanced!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I'm going to caveat this comment with the rule of unintended consequences, but at first glance, this looks like a good variation
    I watched a discussion about this, and I also think it's a positive change. Actually the removal of part of a law. The caution in this case is whether it may lead to more use of the dreaded box kick. The counter could be another tweak of the laws to allow referees to call "use it" when the ball is clearly available in the even more infuriating "caterpillar ruck' situation. And instruct them to police it rigorously.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    I watched a discussion about this, and I also think it's a positive change. Actually the removal of part of a law. The caution in this case is whether it may lead to more use of the dreaded box kick. The counter could be another tweak of the laws to allow referees to call "use it" when the ball is clearly available in the even more infuriating "caterpillar ruck' situation. And instruct them to police it rigorously.
    In the zoom meeting last night Crono made some very clear statements about the use of kicking (and it's been consistent from him since day 1)

He DOES NOT want them kicking ball away in the attacking 50, but he's positive about them kicking for territory in defensive situations. He made mention of a shotgun in response to some of the kicks he saw at the Brumbies and Reds trials.

In short, I don't think the Force want to be a non-kicking team, but they certainly don't want to kick wastefully.

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    In the zoom meeting last night Crono made some very clear statements about the use of kicking (and it's been consistent from him since day 1)

He DOES NOT want them kicking ball away in the attacking 50, but he's positive about them kicking for territory in defensive situations. He made mention of a shotgun in response to some of the kicks he saw at the Brumbies and Reds trials.

In short, I don't think the Force want to be a non-kicking team, but they certainly don't want to kick wastefully.
    Good news!
    The two defensive clearances to touch by IFL to start against the Reds really struck me as a deliberate change of tactic.
    There are some good in-play boots in the Squad now, so hopefully some intelligent use to come.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I think I'll is the perfect guy to implement cronies kicking philosophy, has an attacking mindset so will reluctantly belt it for line with no chance of regaining it and very unlikely to ignore the instruction to not kick back at them in their half.

Cron mentioned he still has some work to do on that aspect of his game. No clarity whether that's physical (accuracy or distance) or mental (seeing when to kick)

C'mon the