Thread: Controversial Erasmus returns as Springbok coach

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Controversial Erasmus returns as Springbok coach

Staff Writers
    Reuters
    February 6, 2024 9:09PM

Rassie Erasmus will coach champions South Africa to the 2027 Rugby World Cup, with former Ireland hooker Jerry Flannery added to the technical team as defence coach and ex-New Zealand stand-off Tony Brown signed to sharpen the attack.

Erasmus returns as head coach after four years, a role he held when they lifted the World Cup trophy in 2019, before moving to director of rugby as they retained their title in France last year.

The 51-year-old has courted controversy with his comments on match officials, especially on social media. He was banned for two months by World Rugby in 2021 for "attacking, disparaging and/or denigrating the game and match officials". The following year he was given another ban for two matches for social media criticism of referee Wayne Barnes.,

Erasmus takes over the position vacated by Jacques Nienaber, who has joined Irish side Leinster. Highly-prized attack coach Felix Jones has also left to link up with Steve Borthwick's England.

Flannery won 41 caps for Ireland before injury cut short his playing career. He had been working as assistant coach at English side Harlequins.

Brown won 18 caps with the All Blacks and was assistant coach with Japan at the 2019 and 2023 World Cups. He has also coached Super Rugby side Otago Highlanders and previously played in South Africa for the Stormers and Sharks.

"The main difference between the last four years and this season is that I will be more hands-on at the field sessions," Erasmus said in a statement from SA Rugby on Tuesday.

"In my role as Director of Rugby I continued to oversee the team structures and strategy in conjunction with Jacques and the other coaches, so it should be an easy transition back into the head coach role.

The Game AFL 2024
    "With the coaching team finalised, we can now focus on planning for the season and the next few years."

Former referee Jaco Peyper, who retired last month, will join the team management to assist with interpreting the laws of the game.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/ru...ach-c-13494876

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    "IN my role as director of Rugby" I did the job anyway. it was cheaper to get rid of the sham head coach because I wasn't able to get around any of World Rugby's restrictions anyway.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the