Pomare and Leonard re-commit to Force ​​​​​​​on historic multi-year deals

Thu, Dec 28, 2023, 6:15 AM
by Ben Somerford

The Western Force today confirms the re-signings of experienced Wallaroos pair Trilleen Pomare and Michaela Leonard on multi-year contracts ahead of the 2024 Super Rugby Women’s season.

The Wallaroos duo have both extended with the Force until the end of the 2025 season, forming the nucleus of the Force’s senior leadership group, with their twin re-signings on two-year deals a major coup for the club.

Pomare and Leonard become the first players in Super W history to sign multi-year deals, further reinforcing the Force’s trailblazing status in the women’s game.

Pomare, who head coach Dylan Parsons described as the club’s “heart and soul”, has been with the Force since 2018 and led the side as captain in the 2023 season.

The 30-year-old Kalamunda inside-centre has 23 international caps including playing for Australia at the 2017 and 2021 World Cups, while she started in September’s Wallaroos’ game against New Zealand.

Canberra-born Leonard joined the Force prior to the 2023 season and recently has spent time in France playing with Montpellier on exchange.

The 28-year-old lock stepped in as Wallaroos’ captain during the recent WXV1 Tournament and has 22 international caps to her name.

Parsons said: “Trilleen is the heart and soul of this club. She’s been through all the hard times, good times, and we are excited to have her lead us into our next chapter. This type of signing is massive for the team and club.

“Michaela has had a great year standing in as the Wallaroos' captain. Michaela is one of those who will lead by example but also is a great communicator. She’s developing into a good rugby brain. When she speaks, players listen.

“Michaela leads the forwards, while Trilleen leads the backs. They are two senior leaders to take the club forward.”

Leonard was delighted to re-commit to the Force after an encouraging 2023 season where the side achieved back-to-back wins for the first time, won their first game on home soil and beat the eventual champions Fijiana Drua before narrowly missing the finals.

“Following a successful season with the Western Force in 2023, I’m really excited to re-sign for the 2024 and 2025 Super W campaigns and continue to build on the foundations we laid last year,” Leonard said.

“The Force have shown over the last 12 months that they are prioritizing the development of women’s rugby in WA, with the investment in a women’s academy and appointment of full-time coaching staff. As a player, it’s a really exciting opportunity to be part of a turning point of women’s rugby, while at the same time using the resources and facilities on offer at Western Force to continue my own development in an almost full-time capacity.

“Perth is a beautiful state that offers an incredible lifestyle, with unbelievably good people to match. I’ve felt nothing but welcomed since my first day here and for that reason it was an easy decision to stay and continue to grow as a player and a person whilst experiencing a new part of the country.”

Pomare, who was born in Auckland but moved to Perth more than a decade ago, added that she was delighted to ink a new deal with the Force.

“I’m excited to be locked in for the next two years at the Force in my home state,” Pomare said.

“I’m looking forward to what we can do this coming season and where our program is heading for 2024 and 2025.”

Force Female High Performance Manager Claudia Bell was thrilled the Force could become the first Super Rugby Women’s club to sign players on multi-year contracts.

“The Force continue to be the leader in the Super W space with our investment in our program and being able to offer multi-year contracts to Trilleen and Michaela is another great example of this,” Bell said.

“We’re thrilled that they have seen our long-term vision and have re-committed to the club.”

Parsons, who became Super W’s first full-time head coach when appointed in October, hailed the re-commitment of the Wallaroos’ pair as a major endorsement of the club’s women’s program.

Alongside Parsons’ ground-breaking full-time appointment, the Force were previously the first Super Rugby club to employ a Female High Performance Manager and to start player payments.

“Their extensions show where the program is at, that players of their caliber want to re-sign and want to re-sign for multiple years,” Parsons said.

“Michaela coming into the club last season was a big signing, so for her to re-sign shows people want to stay and we’re doing the right things by them. Being able to have our senior leaders sign on for multiple years is a huge benefit for this program. They’re experience will be invaluable.”

The Force will open their 2024 Super W season at HBF Park against the Rebels on Friday 15 March from 4:30pm WST as part of a double-header prior to the men’s game against the Moana Pasifika. Memberships are on sale now, including the offer of free Junior Memberships.