Thread: Back-rower Harris hoping Force move can 'springboard' his promising career

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Back-rower Harris hoping Force move can 'springboard' his promising career

Wed, Nov 29, 2023, 5:00 PM
    by Ben Somerford

Force TV caught up with Australia A rep and former Junior Wallabies back-rower Will Harris who has joined the Western Force from the NSW Waratahs and he likes what he sees already.

New Western Force recruit Will Harris is loving his new environment under head coach Simon Cron which he believes can “springboard” him on in his promising career.

The 23-year-old back-rower joined the Force from the NSW Waratahs in the off-season, linking up with the WA Super Rugby Pacific club six weeks ago.

Townsville-born Harris was schooled at Sydney’s Scots College alongside new teammate and close friend Jeremy Williams, before representing Australia at the 2019 World Rugby Under-20 Championship in Argentina where the Junior Wallabies were runners-up.

Harris went on to make his Super Rugby debut in 2020 with the Waratahs, enjoying a breakout campaign in 2022 with 14 starts and six tries, leading to an Australia A call-up.

The 194cm back-rower only managed five starts and 13 games overall in 2023, but he’s excited about his move west where he’s reunited with Cron, who previously worked as an assistant coach at the Waratahs.

“It’s a new opportunity,” Harris said. “I didn’t play a heap last year. Loved it there but I think it’s a great opportunity for me to move on. I’d been there a while.

“I’ve got one of my best mates (Williams) here which was a big factor and Crono, I had him at the Waratahs when I was younger. I’ve got a really high opinion of him as a coach and as a person. That was one of the key factors (behind the move) too.”

The explosive back-rower, who has 41 Super Rugby caps to his name, is ambitious about national honours too, having played for Australia A twice in 2022.

“Oh yeah 100 per cent,” Harris said when asked about one day playing for the Wallabies. “I think if you’re Australian and you don’t (have those ambitions), then what are you doing here?

“Definitely. That’s been a goal of mine for a while. I’m hoping this move can springboard me towards that.”

Harris, who is a lineout option, was glowing in his praise of his initial impressions of the Force set-up provided by Cron and his support staff.

“It’s really impressive,” he said. “I think he’s a world class coach. He’s built a great structure here, that gives everyone the best chance to be the best rugby player that they can be.

“He’s hard when he needs to be but he’s very personable and easy to approach you as well.”

Harris took a break after concluding his time with the Waratahs before heading to Perth, including traveling to Melbourne for the Caulfield Cup in October, along with a trip through NSW’s south coast in a van with his girlfriend.

The 23-year-old is currently living with good mate Williams in Perth, while the pair will be joined by Ben Donaldson when he links up with the Force next week after a break following his Wallabies’ World Cup commitments.

“Yeah, loving it, the boys are great, the weather is great,” Harris said. “I’m having a great time living with one of my best mates and I’ve got another one (Donaldson), coming in Thursday, so I’ve settled in well.

“And it’s not just them. There’s probably 10-12 people here I knew pretty well coming in. Whether that’s through different teams. There’s a fair few who’ve been through the Waratahs system. It’s good to reconnect with those guys.

“I’m really enjoying making new friendships as well. There’s a number of different guys I know well know who I didn’t six weeks ago, so it’s going well.”

Become a Force member today. The Force open their 2024 Super Rugby Pacific season on Friday 23 February 7pm against the Hurricanes at HBF Park.

The newly released 2024 Force playing jerseys, along with the Club’s 2024 merchandise range, are on sale now at the Club Store for $120 too, with Club Members entitled to 20% discounts on all merchandise.

https://www.rugby.com.au/news/harris...areer-20231129

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I think he has timed his run perfectly to be a Force starter at #8.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    I think he has timed his run perfectly to be a Force starter at #8.
    Not even a hint of a question there burgs.The real question is who captains?Wells won't see much game time IMHO and would be a waste, other recent picks aren't guaranteed starter's and a new boy isn't necessarily the best choice.To process this out loud.Likely guaranteed starter's (if fit)SantiRoddaCarloHarrisSpinkI think Donaldson is a good chance, but not sure whether 10 or 15 and there's a good chance the captain will be whichever 9 is cronnos choice to start, both being pretty good choices for the captaincy.Personally I wouldn't go for either ifl or white, because I'd prefer them not to think the fight was over and work to one up each other the whole season and I also see one name that stands out in that list who can be a force captain in the calibre of hodgo.Yeah, I reckon I'd give it to Carlo and hope he can stay injury free long enough to turn into the next hodgson.

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Not even a hint of a question there burgs.The real question is who captains?Wells won't see much game time IMHO and would be a waste, other recent picks aren't guaranteed starter's and a new boy isn't necessarily the best choice.To process this out loud.Likely guaranteed starter's (if fit)SantiRoddaCarloHarrisSpinkI think Donaldson is a good chance, but not sure whether 10 or 15 and there's a good chance the captain will be whichever 9 is cronnos choice to start, both being pretty good choices for the captaincy.Personally I wouldn't go for either ifl or white, because I'd prefer them not to think the fight was over and work to one up each other the whole season and I also see one name that stands out in that list who can be a force captain in the calibre of hodgo.Yeah, I reckon I'd give it to Carlo and hope he can stay injury free long enough to turn into the next hodgson.
    I think they have been grooming Williams to be captain and he would be a pretty certain starter at either lock or 6.

Would also be happy with Rodda or Stewart

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I believe that if you were 100% confident in his rehab you would go for Rodda, but given history that would be doubtful unfortunately.
    Similarly, if Cron committed to Fines starting for the season and White being "Super Sub", then I think he could be a good option, but I am guessing they will be swapping them all year, which therefore also discounts White.
    They might go for White, but then risk losing Fines if he spends the year on the bench.
    I don't believe Stewart is a lock-in starter given the numbers on offer in the backs, though if he was locked in at 12 on playing merit then he would be a good option. This would likely see Kuenzle departing though and I believe he is the future in that position for us.
    I'm not sure if Tizzano has leadership credentials/history/aspirations and may hold "Kaitu'u Effect" implications on his own performance.
    Burey is certainly not a lock-in starter and it would provide unnecessary pressure on his selection, though he did show good potential over Spring.
    It would possibly put too much pressure on Harris and yes, I'm not a fan of first year Captains, so same goes for Donaldson (and White, above).
    It brings no pleasure to state, but I think Wells has been our least inspirational Captain ever. This may be totally different in the changeroom/squad, but has been totally underwhelming on the field and post match.
    Anstee could come into consideration, but only if they accept Wells is (barely) a bench player these days.
    Love what Medrano brings, but he isn't a Captain. Likewise Horton.
    Spink is a lock-in starter, though I haven't been encouraged by any previous Ref interaction, so unlikely,
    The rest are long shots, so by a process of elimination I think that does leave Williams,
    He has done a reasonable job of it through the Spring matches and has tiny shoes to fill.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    I believe that if you were 100% confident in his rehab you would go for Rodda, but given history that would be doubtful unfortunately.Similarly, if Cron committed to Fines starting for the season and White being "Super Sub", then I think he could be a good option, but I am guessing they will be swapping them all year, which therefore also discounts White.They might go for White, but then risk losing Fines if he spends the year on the bench.I don't believe Stewart is a lock-in starter given the numbers on offer in the backs, though if he was locked in at 12 on playing merit then he would be a good option. This would likely see Kuenzle departing though and I believe he is the future in that position for us.I'm not sure if Tizzano has leadership credentials/history/aspirations and may hold "Kaitu'u Effect" implications on his own performance.Burey is certainly not a lock-in starter and it would provide unnecessary pressure on his selection, though he did show good potential over Spring.It would possibly put too much pressure on Harris and yes, I'm not a fan of first year Captains, so same goes for Donaldson (and White, above).It brings no pleasure to state, but I think Wells has been our least inspirational Captain ever. This may be totally different in the changeroom/squad, but has been totally underwhelming on the field and post match.Anstee could come into consideration, but only if they accept Wells is (barely) a bench player these days.Love what Medrano brings, but he isn't a Captain. Likewise Horton.Spink is a lock-in starter, though I haven't been encouraged by any previous Ref interaction, so unlikely,The rest are long shots, so by a process of elimination I think that does leave Williams,He has done a reasonable job of it through the Spring matches and has tiny shoes to fill.
    Good assessment

C'mon the