Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Storm erupts over NRL club’s raid on Wallabies talent

vCash
    So the obvious has happened. RA have had time to offer mark N a suitable extension. Haven't heard anything about that. So have RA decided they have to pass? Probably.
    With a new NSW coach in place for 2024 who claims he'll select on form before incumbency, I'll be interested to see if Joseph Suali'i can improve enough to be selected. He hasn't even been in the conversation so far. Also interested to see if Mark N will be selected by a new Wallabies coach. Both players reportedly want to do a reverse code swap after a few years so you'd expect them to be treated fairly, which is not exactly a trade mark of Wallaby selection.

Wallabies star confirms Roosters defection.

Rugby World Cup star Mark Nawaqanitawase has become the first incumbent Wallaby to defect to rugby league in two decades after signing with the Roosters on a two-year deal from 2025.

Nawaqanitawase informed Rugby Australia, NSW Rugby and his teammates on Wednesday night he had agreed to terms with the Bondi club and will switch to the NRL after his rugby contract ends in 2024.

https://www.watoday.com.au/sport/rug...07-p5epps.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    I wonder what sort of money he's on.

McLennan has inflated the value of outside backs beyond belief and that's the key reason why (IMHO) he's likely decided to move...rawere unable to match the offer that they gave to an untested kid.

C'mon the

Player
    vCash
    WTF is this a huge bloody story? It is just the bloody reverse of Suillia deal. Neither of these players is going to make or break the wallabies or their super rugby teams. Phil Waugh has already said the super rugby teams need to suck less. Forgot the talent and get the coaching right

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Also interested to see if Mark N will be selected by a new Wallabies coach. Both players reportedly want to do a reverse code swap after a few years so you'd expect them to be treated fairly, which is not exactly a trade mark of Wallaby selection.
    Not to wish ill on the kid, but hopefully he ends up with a niggle that justifies his non-selection at the time.

In a less "pc world" I would say, "If you are going, stay gone. You have a SR contract we will honour, but you aren't getting any Wallaby top ups or match bonuses. You will not be selected for 2024. You will not be selected for 2027. You have made your decision and you are not irreplaceable."

RA are not in a position to make the bouncing back and forward an acceptable thing and certainly cannot encourage it.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DazloT View Post
    WTF is this a huge bloody story? It is just the bloody reverse of Suillia deal.
    Off season.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    One bit of better news that has been overlooked-

Sydney Morning Herald

"Marika Koroibete is reportedly set to make a U-turn on his retirement call...

After Australia’s final pool game against Portugal, prop Pone Fa’amausili (still shaking my head at the naivety in this from PF!) revealed that Koroibete told his teammates that he would hang up his Test boots.

“I’m real close to Marika, and he definitely spoke to me before we came to France that this will be his last time putting on the gold jersey for the Wallabies,” Fa’amausili told Wide World of Sports.
    However, according to a report by the Sydney Morning Herald, Koroibete has changed his mind and still has a desire to represent the Wallabies following Jones’ exit.

Rugby Australia (RA) sources told the newspaper that Koroibete’s management informed the governing body that he has a “strong desire” to continue playing Test rugby and that he was “keen as mustard”.

The Japan-based star will be eligible for selection by whoever replaces Jones..."

At 31 he is certainly in his golden years for a Winger and not sure if still of Giteau Law value, but hopefully at least will get a decent few matches to see out his career and bridge a little of the experience gap as the next generation settle in.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Given that Nawaqanitawase and Sua'ali'i are swapping codes at the end of 2024 you'd think they could negotiate an early release/swap for each.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Given that Nawaqanitawase and Sua'ali'i are swapping codes at the end of 2024 you'd think they could negotiate an early release/swap for each.
    Given that Suali'i is reportedly costing RA between 1.6 - 2M a year; that Mark N has signed with the Chooks for a mere $600K , and they have Suali'i on about $400K in 2024, I reckon there's more chance of a snow storm in Marble Bar. Not much upside in Bondi & RA can't afford it.
    The Chooks are paying overs for an unproven NRL winger as it is. He's on top 5 money. Maybe the sombrero is getting an exemption??

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Yawn

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewg View Post
    Yawn

Name:  Read.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  57.8 KB

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Rookie
    vCash
    A Wallaby might not have gone to league for 2 decades but we have had similar f-ck ups like this before. Remember one of Rugby's most marketable players, the Honey Badger had to leave for more money to support his family at the same time the ARU was shelling out millions for Karmichael Cocaine Hunt

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Given that Suali'i is reportedly costing RA between 1.6 - 2M a year; that Mark N has signed with the Chooks for a mere $600K , and they have Suali'i on about $400K in 2024, I reckon there's more chance of a snow storm in Marble Bar. Not much upside in Bondi & RA can't afford it.
    The Chooks are paying overs for an unproven NRL winger as it is. He's on top 5 money. Maybe the sombrero is getting an exemption??
    Several media sources claiming the deal is 450k per year for two years which is apparently less than what RA offered.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Several media sources claiming the deal is 450k per year for two years which is apparently less than what RA offered.
    I take it you mean Mark N's Chooks deal? If so he's obviously backing himself to justify a bigger deal. Maybe his agent might have negotiated some performance based ratchet clauses.
    Or maybe he just wants to go back to RL.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Or maybe he just wants to go back to RL.
    To be fair, that is the line he has trotted out to the sources.
    Wanting to test himself in a different arena.
    That would imply he has mastered the first, which would be a gross over statement.
    With what laid ahead of him in Union he had the opportunity to become a legend of the Code.
    Now he will be a footnote in two Codes.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    To be fair, that is the line he has trotted out to the sources.
    Wanting to test himself in a different arena.
    That would imply he has mastered the first, which would be a gross over statement.
    With what laid ahead of him in Union he had the opportunity to become a legend of the Code.
    Now he will be a footnote in two Codes.
    Sounds a bit bitter.

He's 23, that's plenty of time to establish himself as a decent player if he sticks with Rugby League and he'll be 26 if he decides to come back to Rugby Union.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast