Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Next Wallaby Coach

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Anyway, as per first post, we are staying away from discussing the "E word" on this thread

The long list of potential Eddie Jones replacements at Australia

Jared Wright, Planet Rugby
    30 Oct 2023 10:30 AM

Following Eddie Jones’ resignation, Rugby Australia face the daunting task of finding his replacement with an important four-year Rugby World Cup cycle ahead of the Wallabies.

Jones had signed on until the end of Australia’s home Rugby World Cup in 2027 but now leaves after a disastrous 10 months back in charge of the Wallabies.

Whoever replaces the outgoing head coach will also have to quickly prepare the side for the 2025 British and Irish Lions Series while cleaning up the debris of Jones’ failed Rugby World Cup smash and grab.

Alas, one thing the Wallabies have going in their favour is that they have a plethora of options and while money always talks, they will surely loosen the purse strings again to make sure they have a top coach for what is an incredibly crucial period for rugby in Australia.

Front runners

Former Brumbies head coach Dan McKellar has long been tipped to take the role in Australia. He was part of Dave Rennie’s coaching staff but departed to England to join Leicester Tigers when Jones took over. It is reported that McKellar has a Wallabies clause in his contract with Leicester, and now that the job is vacant, Rugby Australia may look to pounce and bring back one of their most talented coaches.

McKellar’s replacement at the Brumbies, Stephen Larkham, was pointed out by Jones as a future Wallabies head coach. Having worked as an assistant under Michael Cheika before heading to Munster and now returning to the Brumbies, Larkham is another who will be right near the top of the shortlist.

Meanwhile, Andy Friend’s return Down Under couldn’t have been timed more perfectly. The well-travelled coach is highly rated in both hemispheres and has a keen eye for talent. After a successful stint at Connacht, a step up to the international scene could be right up Friend’s alley.

Another serious consideration could be for outgoing All Blacks boss Ian Foster after he guided New Zealand to the Rugby World Cup Final. Foster confirmed that he refused to hold any talks with any potential suitors until after the World Cup in France. He may feel like he has a score to settle with New Zealand Rugby after his replacement, Scott Robertson, was announced before the World Cup, and while he did have some lowlights throughout his time in charge of the All Blacks, he still managed to reach the pinnacle event.

Outside bets

Whenever a top job comes on the market, the big-name coaches will always be linked to the job; this one will be no different.

Because of the timing of Jones’ resignation – after a World Cup cycle – Australia really do have a chance to lure a top name Down Under, even if it is a long shot.

Could we see Michael Cheika return after a strong stint with Argentina? Possibly not, but he will surely be mentioned in a meeting or two at least.

After his stunning success with Fiji at the 2023 Rugby World Cup and reaching the knockouts, Simon Raiwalui is an interesting prospect, particularly considering that he has worked with the Wallabies in the past.

Ronan O’Gara will be itching to test himself on the international stage, and with the England and Ireland job not opening up anytime soon, could he be tempted away from La Rochelle to make the step up? It’s entirely possible.

While Sir Steve Hansen has been coaching in the Japanese Rugby League One, a return to international rugby, particularly with Australia, is unlikely but not impossible.

Sticking with the New Zealanders, and Joe Schmidt is not staying on with the All Blacks and could be a massive coup for the Wallabies. He has expressed his desire to spend more time with his family, but could the prospect of facing the Lions sway him enough, plus the nice payment package that would come with it?

Meanwhile, Jamie Joseph took Japan through to the Rugby World Cup play-offs for the first time in 2019 and is still highly regarded despite Japan’s underwhelming showing in 2023. He could be a great fit as Australia rebuild their squad.

In with a shot

While the outside bets may well be on Rugby Australia’s radar already, there are others who could be in with a shot, particularly if they express their interest.

Former Reds coach Brad Thorn’s stocks may have fallen more recently, but he could still make a good case to take the reins.

Newly appointed Racing 92 coach Stuart Lancaster could be the ideal fit but would come at a hefty cost if he does not have a clause in his contract.

Former Western Force and Melbourne Rebels boss Dave Wessels was also linked with the Wallabies job a few years ago and now works with the Stormers. He is also held in high regard and could be in the running.

In a left-field selection, former Bulls head coach Frans Ludeke could be an exciting choice. He was hugely successful in Pretoria and has built a new legacy in Japan with the Kubota Spears, who won the Japan Rugby League One season.

Surely not

We have already mentioned Cheika as a front-runner, but at the same time, he could comfortably fit in this category, such is the absurdity and dysfunction in Australia right now.

In this case, we can’t possibly write off the return of Robbie Deans as he continues to be successful in Japan and could quite easily return to an international set-up.

But could there be a world where Rugby Australia somehow convince Dave Rennie to return after sacking him just a year out from the World Cup? It would take some doing from Australia’s governing body. Stranger things have happened.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    I, almost alone, because it was unfashionable, warned that this would happen.
    and I tip my hat to you, I admit, I was suckered by the loss to Italy and some effective marketing spin.

Didn't take too long for the tarnish to show though with not a single win before meeting the Minnows of the World Cup.

C'mon the

vCash
    Anyway, as per first post, we are staying away from discussing the "E word" on this thread

The long list of potential Eddie Jones replacements at Australia
    Why is it that the list of "Front Runners" doesn't contain the best coaches?

The list of "Surely Nots has Deans who has already said it won't happen and Rennie who hasn't actually said it, but doesn't look like that much of an idiot.

I've been saying since the end of the World Cup that the name of the Wallabies coach is almost meaningless since the main problem is that the shit has permeated every aspect of the elite pathway from Schoolboys right through. I'm interested in seeing somebody like Schmidt come, because surely if Eddie Jones can have a centralisation clause in his contract, Schmidt can add clauses to fix the problems.

C'mon the

Champion
    vCash
    As soon as Dan McKellar left the Wallabies assistant role our lineout went to shit, Mauls were disrupted and scrums folded. I say bring Dan Back.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I'm interested in seeing somebody like Schmidt come, because surely if Eddie Jones can have a centralisation clause in his contract, Schmidt can add clauses to fix the problems.
    Sure, if you think the Wallabies coach is actually part of the solution. I think they are more likely to be part of the problem...they'll ask for the world to fix the Wallabies, and only perpetuate the real issues. Not delivering on the stuff Jones demanded may well have been a bullet dodged...it probably saved him spending the entirety of any PE money on League players with one single central administration of RA quality cheering him on. Going again with a new coach is only likely to be just as self-serving and dangerous.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I, almost alone, because it was unfashionable, warned that this would happen.
    Not just you mate, the writing was on the wall after a good coach like Rennie couldn't get us to beat Italy. There was never any chance of Eddie turning it around so quickly, it's just not in his DNA to keep things simple and fix things over a short-term period. Even then so, his focus is always so narrow that a bigger picture is never seen. No kickers, no experience in his Wallaby team? Not starting with his world cup youth policy earlier in the year instead of when the tournament began? That's just Eddie. A great "details man" but really needs guidance to look outside the picture he has in his head.

Last edited by chibi; 01-01-24 at 15:23.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansie View Post
    As soon as Dan McKellar left the Wallabies assistant role our lineout went to shit, Mauls were disrupted and scrums folded. I say bring Dan Back.
    I would rather have Laurie Fisher before Dan McKellar

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Name:  Cheika.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  99.4 KB

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .X. View Post
    I would rather have Laurie Fisher before Dan McKellar
    Even before lord was there you can be sure what dan did with the forwards was act like Laurie.

C'mon the

vCash
    Dan McKellar will not be the head coach of the Wallabies anytime soon.
    Rugby Australia is on the hunt for a new frontman after Eddie Jones walked away from the job following a dreadful Rugby World Cup campaign.

The governing body confirmed Jones' exit on October 31, just two days after the World Cup final between New Zealand and South Africa

McKellar, who moved to the United Kingdom earlier this year to coach Premiership Rugby side Leicester Tigers, confirmed he'd not be vying for the Wallabies job.

The former ACT Brumbies coach's name was one of the first names thrown around even before Jones' exit was confirmed.

McKellar joined the Wallabies as an assistant in 2021 under Dave Rennie but left the team to join the Tigers.

"One thing I can't control is media speculation, and that's what it is," McKellar told BBC Sports Leicester.

"It's media speculation and they've got to fill newspapers and websites and put stories in place for people to read and that's completely out of my control.

"I've moved my family here, we're very happy here. Girls are at school, loving life in the Midlands, and that's all I'm focusing on."

Asked to clarify if that meant he was staying onboard with the Leicester Tigers, McKellar confirmed as much.

"One hundred percent I'm staying here," he said.

"If anything changes that, I'll let you know.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/rugby/world...1-b27ebe7bb796

vCash
    It's all setting up nicely for Darren Coleman to swing in and have one promising season followed by an unsustainable decline because he can't afford to keep players that are 20% better than his opposition.

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    In an Eddie related article today-

The RA CEO said foreign coaches such as outgoing All Blacks boss Ian Foster are being considered for the Wallabies job. World Cup winner Stephen Larkham and fellow former Wallabies assistant Dan McKellar are also viewed as front-runners for the role.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Dan McKellar who said no thanks a week ago? Whoever wrote that needs to give themselves an uppercut.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Joe Schmidt tipped to become next Australia head coach

Ex-All Blacks coach Joe Schmidt has been backed to take over from Eddie Jones and lead the Wallabies into the next Rugby World Cup.

The former Ireland boss, who led them at both the 2015 and 2019 global tournaments, is highly regarded in the game.

Schmidt played a key part in New Zealand’s revival after joining Ian Foster’s backroom team in July 2022.

They came so close to lifting the World Cup, but it was the Springboks who eventually prevailed as Jacques Nienaber’s men secured a 12-11 victory in the showpiece event.

Changes after the World Cup

Following the conclusion of the global tournament, Foster was replaced by Scott Robertson as All Blacks head coach, while Schmidt has also departed.

He has been linked to several roles but he could well be a good fit for Australia, who are searching for their next boss after Jones resigned.

“There’s a few names being bandied about,” Ex-Ireland performance analyst Eoin Toolan told the Rugby Weekly Extra podcast.

“Does it need to be an Aussie? I’m not so sure, I think you need to get the right guy into the position.

“I’ve got to say, I think the job Joe Schmidt did with New Zealand… I don’t think they’re making a World Cup final if Joe Schmidt doesn’t come in and bail out Ian Foster.

“That would be an intriguing appointment, particularly if it was in tandem with David Nucifora. We saw the positive impact they had on Irish rugby.”

The Wallabies are looking to get back on track after what has been a dreadful 2023, which culminated in them exiting the World Cup at the pool stages.

There are several people that have been linked to the role, including Dan McKellar and Stephen Larkham, who have experience of being involved in the Australian coaching set-up.

“There will be multiple candidates. Does Dan McKellar come back from Leicester or does he need some time out of the Australia game and start to build some experience in the northern hemisphere? That would probably be a good thing for the longevity of his career,” Toolan said.

“Stephen Larkham is the other name being bandied about down here. He had a pretty good first year back at the Brumbies and learned a lot from his time in Munster.

“So there’s no shortage of candidates. It’s still an attractive role given that it’s the 2025 Lions into a home World Cup in 2027 and the talent is there if they’re coached correctly. They probably need to tweak the Giteau Law (for players based abroad) and look at what they do with Super Rugby.”

David Nucifora to join him?

Toolan believes that Schmidt alongside David Nucifora, who he has backed to take over in a high performance role, would be the best partnership.

Nucifora is set to leave the Irish Rugby Football Union in 2024, with David Humphreys replacing him, and would be available to Australian rugby.

However, with the British and Irish Lions series not far away, Rugby Australia might want someone in position right away.

“He would be the ideal fit but I have no understanding of what the current relationship is like,” Toolan added.

“The timing wouldn’t be ideal. He is committed to Paris 2024 and when you think of the Lions series in 2025, it’s not that far away, 18 or 19 months, so they really need to get their house in order. I’m not sure if there would be an early release for Nucifora but there is an urgency needed with this appointment.

“You want the right guy in the seat and Nucifora would strike you as the most suitable appointment, but we’ll see in the next two to three weeks what develops.”

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/rugb...bfa4396&ei=171

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Now that is a proven model I could get on board with

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast