Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Eddie Jones 'is set to QUIT the Wallabies'

Player
    vCash
    McLennan should have lunch with Richard Goyder for some helpful hints and tips …… here’s one Hamish . Accountability is required to restore trust ( sic) outgoing Qantas Chairman.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by bootsetal06; 01-11-23 at 07:13.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    I also believe we wouldn't have done any better, at best a lost QF, under Rennie and would have seen the cracks papered over for another season or two, enough time to doom our home WC.
    As poorly as the process has been handled by almost all individuals, it doesn't make it wrong.
    I strongly disagree. I could see the team building well under Rennie, with discipline and injuries the main problems. We were only losing by small margins to Ireland and France away. Bring in Cooper and Kerevi to that team alone, and we should've and I believe would've made the semis. But I guess we'll never know.
    Australian rugby is now in a dire state, with only 2 years to turn it around or be completely embarrassed by the Lions. Given their treatment of the last few coaches, long term poor management and poor financial position, I can't see too many high quality coaches jumping at the opportunity unfortunately. Not exactly looking like an employer of choice.

vCash
    If you do reset of a team before a World Cup do it at the start of the Test season, not immediately before the sports biggest event.

I think the Lions tour is going to be too soon given there are only a dozen or so Tests likely scheduled for next year and I think the 2027 World Cup will come too soon to be considered a genuine contender.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Eddie Jones says Rugby Australia officials wouldn’t back his plans for Wallabies changes

November 2, 2023 - 9:45AM
    NCA NewsWire- Daily Telegraph (UK)

Eddie Jones has declared there were “other forces at play” that forced him to quit the Wallabies coaching role as he delivered another parting shot at the state of the code in Australia.

In Wales to coach the Barbarians side, which will include eight of the players who took part in the most unsuccessful Wallabies World Cup campaign in history, Jones said he had to quit because he felt his role would be “compromised”.

He said Rugby Australia officials didn’t share the vision he had for the team and the sport so he walked away from his five-year deal without another job to go to despite links to Japan disrupting the World Cup efforts.

“I went in with a plan and had a commitment from Rugby Australia what that looked like,” Jones said.

“When the unity of where we were going wasn‘t the same – not because of the lack of desire from Rugby Australia but there’s other forces at play – then the only thing I could do was resign.”

Jones said he wanted to change the system, which was one of the key reasons he picked such an inexperienced World Cup squad.

But officials didn’t see his vision.

“Obviously, the results are disappointing, but I went in there with a plan to change Australian rugby, which not only involves the team but the system to put it together.

“When you‘ve had 20 years of unsuccessful rugby, that’s because of the system. I went in with a plan of how to change the system and that’s unable to be changed.

“I felt my job would be compromised for the next four years, which I wasn‘t prepared to do.”

Jones has picked six players, including Rob Leota and Rob Valetini from the Wallabies team who played in the 40-6 hiding by Wales that sealed Australia‘s fate at the World Cup.

Prop Taniela Tupou and Izaia Perese, also in Jones’s France squad, will be in Saturday’s starting line-up too, with former Wallabies captain Michael Hooper, who Jones didn’t take to the World Cup, also in the outfit.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3