Thread: Bledisloe 2 - 5 August 2023

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Bledisloe 2 - 5 August 2023

McDermott promoted to captain Wallabies in Bledisloe
    Ben McKay
    AAP
    August 3, 2023 6:01AM

Just days after being pummelled in a try-conceding tackle that will live in Bledisloe Cup folklore, Tate McDermott has been handed the Wallabies captaincy for the return clash in Dunedin.

Australia will field its seventh-least experienced XV at Forsyth Barr Stadium as coach Eddie Jones continues his regenerative path on the road to the Rugby World Cup next month.

Jones has turned to 24-year-old halfback McDermott to lead Australia against the All Blacks on Saturday and he will become the 86th Wallabies skipper.

"Tate's got all the attributes to be a great captain of his country," Jones said.

"We're definitely remodelling the team. We need to change the team from where we've been and part of it is definitely the leadership aspect."

McDermott was buried by Scott Barrett after a lineout near the goal-line in just the third minute of Australia's 38-7 loss at the MCG, allowing Shannon Frizell to score, but Jones backed him to bounce back in Dunedin.

"He's a tough little bugger," Jones said.

McDermott is the fourth different captain in Jones' four Tests on his return as Wallabies coach, inheriting the role from prop Allan Alaalatoa who suffered a ruptured Achilles last weekend.

Longtime skipper Michael Hooper remains sidelined with a calf issue, while another of Australia's regular leaders, James Slipper, will start on the bench.

Jones said he would re-assess the captaincy in coming weeks ahead of the Rugby World Cup in France starting next month.

Receiving the armband completes a remarkable turnaround for McDermott, who was overlooked by Jones in a 33-man training squad back in April.

"I've learned a lot in the last two years and I've learned a lot in the last month," McDermott said.

"Just how quickly we can solve problems is probably the biggest one I've learned.

"I've got a lot of people around me to help me support and play my best footy."

Saturday's Test looms as a mighty challenge for an inexperienced side.

Jones has named an unchanged backline but overall, the starting XV has just 277 caps - the seventh-lowest total in the professional era.

Pone Fa'amausili will earn a first Test start, named at tighthead prop in place of Alalaatoa with Taniela Tupou also unavailable through injury.

Richie Arnold comes into the starting team at lock alongside Nick Frost with Will Skelton dropping to the bench while Fraser McReight is introduced as openside flanker and Tom Hooper shifts to the blindside.

Jones is sticking by 22-year-old Carter Gordon at five eighth after his shaky night with the boot in his starting debut last weekend and the coach hit back at critics.

"I don't think I got (selection) wrong, mate. In fact, I'm going to get it right," Jones snapped.

"If you know anything about rugby you know that 10s need time in the seat."

The Wallabies haven't won against the All Blacks in New Zealand for 22 years (28 Tests).

McDermott was two years old when the Wallabies last defeated the All Blacks across the ditch, a 23-15 win that also came in the South Island university city, at the now-demolished Carisbrook.

Wallabies team: Angus Bell, David Porecki, Pone Fa'amausili, Nick Frost, Richie Arnold, Tom Hooper, Fraser McReight, Rob Valetini, Tate McDermott (c), Carter Gordon, Marika Koroibete, Samu Kerevi, Jordan Petaia, Mark Nawaqanitawase, Andrew Kellaway. Res: Jordan Uelese, James Slipper, Zane Nonggorr, Will Skelton, Rob Leota, Nic White, Quade Cooper, Izaia Perese.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/ru...loe-c-11472145

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Barrett-less Bledisloe: Fozzie makes 12 CHANGES for Wallabies rematch, Eddie bats away 'disrespect' line
    Story by Ben McKay • 46m ago

All Blacks coach Ian Foster has rung the changes for Saturday’s Bledisloe Cup Test, making 12 changes and offering three debuts.

There isn’t a Barrett in sight on New Zealand’s teamsheet with Scott, Jordie and Beauden all spared the Dunedin clash as Foster keeps an eye on the Rugby World Cup beginning next month.

Only Brodie Retallick, Ardie Savea and Will Jordan have kept their place from last week’s 38-7 win over Australia at the MCG.

Captain Sam Cane returns while flanker Samipeni Finau and wing Shaun Stevenson will earn their first caps from kick-off, with Dallas McLeod to join them when he runs on from the bench.

Sam Cane has returned to the All Blacks’ side after missing Bledisloe I. (Photo by Hannah Peters/Getty Images)

Fletcher Newell and Leicester Fainga’anuku will play their first Tests of the season after overcoming injuries on the road to France.

After a terrific club season but poor All Blacks showing against Argentina, Damian McKenzie has been offered the chance to start at flyhalf.

No trophies are on the line at Forsyth Barr Stadium with New Zealand pocketing both the Bledisloe Cup and the Rugby Championship last weekend.

But with so many changes the Wallabies may eye snapping their 22-year, 28-match streak without a win in New Zealand over their greatest rival.

Shaun Stevenson has been named on the right-wing by Ian Foster. (Photo by Joe Allison/Getty Images)

Foster insisted the Test was still “special” as it offered New Zealand the chance for a perfect season, and the chance to shape his World Cup thoughts.

“It is our last chance to play in front of our fans and, even with some changes, it is a big opportunity for us to take another step forward as a team,” he said.

“We can’t wait.”

Wallabies CONFIRMED: Tate to captain 'new era' as Eddie changes back-row, calls up rookie prop after Thor blow
    Rugby
    The mass changes are in stark contrast to the Wallabies, who have made just three changes to the starting side as Eddie Jones’ team hunt their first victory of the year.

Jones batted away any notion of the idea that the All Blacks had “disrespected” the Wallabies.

“No, no, I’ve got enough to worry about, mate, without worrying about New Zealand selection,” Jones told reporters.

“Whilst everyone is treating this game with the utmost respect, everyone also has the World Cup at the back of their minds and The Rugby Championship’s been a fantastic tournament.

“We’ve trained as hard as we can for this game. But at the same time, there’s a World Cup over there that we’ve got to plan to and I’m sure Ian and his coaching staff is the same, so I wouldn’t see that as a sign of disrespect at all.”

Eddie Jones (L) has rejected any validity in the notion the All Blacks have disrespected the Wallabies. (Photo credit: Julius Dimataga/RugbyAU Media)

The Test, which might have been at Eden Park if not for the Auckland venue’s FIFA Women’s World Cup duties, will also give Kiwi fans a chance to bid farewell to a number of All Blacks greats.

Aaron Smith and Brodie Retallick have signed deals to play in Japanese club rugby next year, rendering them unavailable for All Blacks selection, while Samuel Whitelock is set to play in France and Dane Coles is retiring.

New Zealand (1-15): Tamaiti Williams, Samisoni Taukei’aho, Nepo Laulala, Brodie Retallick, Samuel Whitelock, Samipeni Finau, Sam Cane (c), Ardie Savea, Finlay Christie, Damian McKenzie, Leicester Fainga’anuku, Anton Lienert-Brown, Braydon Ennor, Shaun Stevenson, Will Jordan.

Res: Dane Coles, Ofa Tu’ungafasi, Fletcher Newell, Tupou Vaa’i, Luke Jacobson, Aaron Smith, Richie Mo’unga, Dallas McLeod.

AAP

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/othe...d0b8455c&ei=68

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    Barrett-less Bledisloe: Fozzie makes 12 CHANGES for Wallabies rematch, Eddie bats away 'disrespect' line
    Story by Ben McKay • 46m ago

All Blacks coach Ian Foster has rung the changes for Saturday’s Bledisloe Cup Test, making 12 changes and offering three debuts.

There isn’t a Barrett in sight on New Zealand’s teamsheet with Scott, Jordie and Beauden all spared the Dunedin clash as Foster keeps an eye on the Rugby World Cup beginning next month.

Only Brodie Retallick, Ardie Savea and Will Jordan have kept their place from last week’s 38-7 win over Australia at the MCG.

Captain Sam Cane returns while flanker Samipeni Finau and wing Shaun Stevenson will earn their first caps from kick-off, with Dallas McLeod to join them when he runs on from the bench.

Sam Cane has returned to the All Blacks’ side after missing Bledisloe I. (Photo by Hannah Peters/Getty Images)

Fletcher Newell and Leicester Fainga’anuku will play their first Tests of the season after overcoming injuries on the road to France.

After a terrific club season but poor All Blacks showing against Argentina, Damian McKenzie has been offered the chance to start at flyhalf.

No trophies are on the line at Forsyth Barr Stadium with New Zealand pocketing both the Bledisloe Cup and the Rugby Championship last weekend.

But with so many changes the Wallabies may eye snapping their 22-year, 28-match streak without a win in New Zealand over their greatest rival.

Shaun Stevenson has been named on the right-wing by Ian Foster. (Photo by Joe Allison/Getty Images)

Foster insisted the Test was still “special” as it offered New Zealand the chance for a perfect season, and the chance to shape his World Cup thoughts.

“It is our last chance to play in front of our fans and, even with some changes, it is a big opportunity for us to take another step forward as a team,” he said.

“We can’t wait.”

Wallabies CONFIRMED: Tate to captain 'new era' as Eddie changes back-row, calls up rookie prop after Thor blow
    Rugby
    The mass changes are in stark contrast to the Wallabies, who have made just three changes to the starting side as Eddie Jones’ team hunt their first victory of the year.

Jones batted away any notion of the idea that the All Blacks had “disrespected” the Wallabies.

“No, no, I’ve got enough to worry about, mate, without worrying about New Zealand selection,” Jones told reporters.

“Whilst everyone is treating this game with the utmost respect, everyone also has the World Cup at the back of their minds and The Rugby Championship’s been a fantastic tournament.

“We’ve trained as hard as we can for this game. But at the same time, there’s a World Cup over there that we’ve got to plan to and I’m sure Ian and his coaching staff is the same, so I wouldn’t see that as a sign of disrespect at all.”

Eddie Jones (L) has rejected any validity in the notion the All Blacks have disrespected the Wallabies. (Photo credit: Julius Dimataga/RugbyAU Media)

The Test, which might have been at Eden Park if not for the Auckland venue’s FIFA Women’s World Cup duties, will also give Kiwi fans a chance to bid farewell to a number of All Blacks greats.

Aaron Smith and Brodie Retallick have signed deals to play in Japanese club rugby next year, rendering them unavailable for All Blacks selection, while Samuel Whitelock is set to play in France and Dane Coles is retiring.

New Zealand (1-15): Tamaiti Williams, Samisoni Taukei’aho, Nepo Laulala, Brodie Retallick, Samuel Whitelock, Samipeni Finau, Sam Cane (c), Ardie Savea, Finlay Christie, Damian McKenzie, Leicester Fainga’anuku, Anton Lienert-Brown, Braydon Ennor, Shaun Stevenson, Will Jordan.

Res: Dane Coles, Ofa Tu’ungafasi, Fletcher Newell, Tupou Vaa’i, Luke Jacobson, Aaron Smith, Richie Mo’unga, Dallas McLeod.

AAP

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/othe...d0b8455c&ei=68
    We're still fu@ked!

Great game, Fucken battled right through to the 80!

vCash
    That actually looks like a more dangerous All Blacks team to me with lots of attacking weapons and strike power. Looking at the team sheets and given the Dunedin location, I think we're looking at a 30+ point loss.

Disappointing not to see Philip or even Neville selected over Arnold, who really doesn't seem worth the overseas spot and I'd say is a step down from the work rate and impact you get from Philip.
    Our scrum is likely to get demolished with Pone and Nonggor at TH. Really should be looking at whoever is the best at scrum time in the country with AAA and Tupou out (i.e. Talakai, and then look at Sio and/or Hoskins for the RWC).

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I understand Retallick, given farewell match, but interesting they didn't take the opportunity with Cane back to give Savea a breather before the big dance.
    Maybe Cane isn't at 80 minute recovered as yet?

Still a pretty handy selection.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    The Leederville Sporting Club will be open early Saturday for this match and it will LIVE on the big screen

Senior Player
    vCash
    All Blacks learning you should always respect your opposition

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by volvo View Post
    All Blacks learning you should always respect your opposition
    Shasta learning you should check kick off time. Just realised and I hope that's not a jinx.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash

vCash
    How was that break from Smith not advantage over? He's run 30-35 metres ffs.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Very glad the wallabies proved me wrong. There may be hope yet!
    Backrow looked much more balanced (until McReight was subbed) and Tom Hooper had an excellent game.

Scrum was surprisingly solid until Slipper and Nonggor were on. Great for Faessler to get a run and he looked like he belonged.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    OK, ignore the Stan hype and remember the Wallabies had 65 per cent of the ball and 70 per cent of the territory and a couple of dubious scrum penalties. Despite all that they only led 17-3 at halftime against an ordinary looking AB's. And the rest...is history.

vCash
    The Wallabies have hated possession for two decades, never know what to do with it.

Last edited by chibi; 06-08-23 at 20:02.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Amazing how not kicking the ball away shows results! Didn’t like it when Nick White came on a straight away reverted to box kicks.
    Onc the ABs started laying on the pressure the penalty count started ticking over like an old clock. I’d been impressed with how few there had been in the first half and was pleasantly surprised how well the scrum started considering our injuries.
    One swallow doesn’t make a summer but it gives hope.

May the FORCE be with you!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast