Thread: A Wallabies Supporter

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash

A Wallabies Supporter

I can't recall the exact date I fell in love with Rugby Union. Honestly, I can't remember why I fell in love with Rugby.

But, I did. And.

I do.

I started by running the water for a Team in the Katherine (NT) Comp in the early 90s that turned into a full-blown love affair that sees me watching, thinking, reading, and talking about Rugby every day for the past 30 plus years.

And the highlights have been many, I have been a part of Grand Final wins. Watched Bledisloe Cup Retentions and Wins, live. Watched Rugby World Cup matches and stayed up late to watch the Wallabies win Rugby World Cup Finals. Twice.

I have met players, past and present, Coaches past and present, and had my photo taken alongside Trophies I had no business being next to. I have traveled to distant lands to watch tournaments and drink beers with new friends and old. I have been a water boy, a secretary, an equipment manager, Team Manager, Bar Manager, Vice President, and acting President. I even tried Coaching, but let's not talk about that.

From the age of 21 or 22 until now (53) I have continued to be a living, breathing, hand-on-heart supporter of Australian Rugby. From Grass-Roots to the Wallabies. I have done all that I can for this game that I love.

I am writing after digesting the recent loss to the All Blacks. I have come to realise the following;

Australia is no longer a Tier 1 nation.

I do not believe that we have the players, to compete with the best teams in the world. By continuing to play the All Blacks and the SpringBoks multiple teams year in and year out all we are doing is hurting or Loss/Win Statistics for all of the wrong reasons.

How long will it be until the All Blacks and the Springboks realise that there is no advantage in playing the Wallabies and we fall out of their Tour schedule?

We need to compete with nations with similar skill levels. Japan, Fiji, Tonga, Georgia, and Italy.

The Wallabies were a great team. We won the Rugby World Cup, Twice. The last time was almost 25 years ago. The last time we held the Bledisloe was 21 years ago. The Wallabies aren't what they used to be.

Maybe one day we will get our mojo back. I hope so - I plan on supporting them until they do.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Champion
    vCash
    Lovely words and yes I’m a supporter as well. Whatever tier we are

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!