Thread: UK asbestos firm owners ‘whitewashing reputation’ with All Blacks sponsorship

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

UK asbestos firm owners ‘whitewashing reputation’ with All Blacks sponsorship

Story by Haroon Siddique Legal affairs correspondent • Yesterday 9:35 pm

The owners of a company that was one of the UK’s biggest manufacturers of asbestos have been accused of whitewashing their reputation by spending tens of millions of pounds on sponsoring the All Blacks rugby team while rejecting pleas for a £10m donation towards cancer research.

Altrad, the parent company of Cape Asbestos, has resisted calls from the Asbestos Victims Support Groups Forum UK (AVSGF) for a £10m contribution to mesothelioma research in light of its legacy, which the all-party parliamentary group (APPG) on occupational safety and health said involved “knowingly putting people in danger”.

But the company, which had revenue of €3.8bn (£3.3bn) in the last financial year, has spent up to a reported NZ$120m (£58m) on a six-year sponsorship deal that will emblazon its name on the New Zealand team’s shirts at this year’s Rugby World Cup.

Documents released after a court challenge by AVSGF showed that, in 1969, Cape’s group medical adviser said the fatal cancer could be caused by “short and possibly small” exposure and that “no type of asbestos proved innocent”. However, this was not reflected in “take care with asbestos” warnings placed on its products from 1976.

As such, AVSGF, with the support of the APPG, says Altrad has a “moral obligation” to help those affected.

Harminder Bains, a partner at Leigh Day solicitors, and whose father died of mesothelioma, said: “The barristers and I represented the AVSGF for over three and a half years, pro bono, in order to force Cape to disclose documents which revealed the extent of their persistent attempts to hide the dangers posed by their asbestos products which have led to many unnecessary deaths.

“Altrad is attempting to whitewash its public image by sponsoring the All Blacks, yet it is refusing to pay £10m towards medical research to find a cure for the cancer which Cape’s products caused.”

Although all asbestos has been banned in the UK since 1999 it continues to be the biggest occupational killer, with 2,268 deaths in 2021.

Last week, AVSGF wrote to Rishi Sunak asking for a moratorium on new public contracts being awarded to Altrad and its subsidiaries until it had met its “moral obligation”.

Rob Rayner, the chair of AVSGF, said Cape’s products were in many schools, hospitals and other public buildings “and so will continue to expose people to asbestos. Any agreement needs to be a gamechanger for mesothelioma research.”

Altrad’s deal with the All Blacks has already faced scrutiny because the company’s president and founder, Mohed Altrad, was found guilty of corruption last year, in connection with its sponsorship of the French national team. He was fined and given an 18-month suspended sentence.

A Cape spokesperson said: “Cape has been actively engaged with AVSG for many months and regrettably, despite offering significant sums towards medical research on mesothelioma, we were unable to find an acceptable agreement that balanced the interests of both parties.

“Our offer demonstrated our empathy towards those affected by historic asbestos use as well as our resolve to go above and beyond our legal responsibilities. Cape has already paid out over £100m in asbestos compensation and expects to pay at least £50m more in compensation to victims and families affected by Cape’s legacy involvement in the asbestos industry.”

https://www.msn.com/en-au/health/oth...e2c8f833&ei=40

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    With all due respect, Altrad only aquired Cape plc in September 2017. The absestos claims where already in place long before Altrad's time. While purchasing the company means you take on their baggage, it seems this is another journo trying to get that Gotcha moment to get his name in lights by bringing in the All Blacks and highlighting an issue without offering a solution.

We are very aware asbestos and it serious side effects and yes the cause needs to be supported and highlighted but this laying blame on parties that come after the fact needs to be done with some context to it.

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazzmania View Post
    With all due respect, Altrad only aquired Cape plc in September 2017. The absestos claims where already in place long before Altrad's time. While purchasing the company means you take on their baggage, it seems this is another journo trying to get that Gotcha moment to get his name in lights by bringing in the All Blacks and highlighting an issue without offering a solution.

We are very aware asbestos and it serious side effects and yes the cause needs to be supported and highlighted but this laying blame on parties that come after the fact needs to be done with some context to it.
    Come on Tazz, you're using facts and we should never let them get in the way of good story...

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    The surprising thing is that asbestos is still legally used in more countries than not - including the US & Canada. But that may not last as it's only produced in Russia, Kazakhstan & China.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    What's your beef with asbestos, it's good shit!!!

Name:  Wittenoom.jpg
Views: 3157
Size:  53.7 KB

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...mpetition.html

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    Come on Tazz, you're using facts and we should never let them get in the way of good story...
    Having skimmed the story, It appears that the company has refused to make a donation to cancer research and undertaken a sponsorship of a high profile sports team.

I have no problem with a parent company sponsoring the sports team, but if they have refused to put money into fixing the problems caused historically by a company they are making profit from that doesn't seem right to me.

Again it all boils down to who did what, who knows what, there are lots of possibilities that this is a complete beatup, but there is the chance that Altrad could do better.

Interesting that they didn't mention the multi million dollar sponsorship of Les Bleus.

C'mon the

vCash

vCash
    The problem is that the journalist claims that they are whitewashing their reputation by spending tens of millions of pounds on sponsoring the All Blacks rugby team

White wash is taken to mean: "to gloss over or cover up".

Not sure how Altrad sponsoring the All Blacks does this.

How is the companies UK subsidiary that is run as a seperate legal entity gets a "whitewash" by its holding French company sponsoring a New Zealand rugby team?

Note: The reporter is part of the Guardian newspaper group.

Note 2: Altrad is the owner and Official Sponsor of Montpellier Hérault Rugby Club (MHR) in France, Major Partner of the French Rugby Federation (FFR), Major Global Partner of New Zealand Rugby (NZR) and Principal Sponsor of Western Force (Australian Rugby Team based in Perth).

Why single out the All Blacks? Click Bait?

Last edited by Tazzmania; 28-07-23 at 14:55.
    Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    Maybe they should hire Bart Simpson as PR manager. He seems to have a handle on it, as usual.

Wonder if he has a position on the UFO distraction doing the rounds in Washington DC.

Sorry. I'll see myself out.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Wouldn't that be blackwashing?

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chibi View Post
    How to sound really racist without saying anything racist.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazzmania View Post
    Why single out the All Blacks? Click Bait?
    💯I don't know the legal status of the companies, but assume that altrad, as a parent company isA taking some profitB exercising some level of control.Therefore I would think that they have an at least moral responsibility to remediate the company's past indiscretions by working towards the company paying appropriate compensation.Now that compensation might drive the company into receivership and cost current jobs, so I'm not unaware that there's a balance to this and I don't have the facts to make a judgement.I agree that the article is bullshit sensationalism clickbait I'm just saying that somebody needs to be on the side of the victims and already would be a good choice in this case.

C'mon the

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chibi View Post
    Yeah nah, backwashing is a thing now. Either way, the journo obviously has no idea what white washing is...

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    How to sound really racist without saying anything racist.
    by saying the following.

"I'm not racist, but......"

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?