Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bledisloe 1 - 28 July 2023

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Bledisloe 1 - 29 July 2023

Gordon, McDermott start for new-look Wallabies in first Bledisloe Test
    Thu, Jul 27, 2023, 7:26 AM
    Nathan Williamson

Wallabies coach Eddie Jones has confirmed a new-look side for the opening Bledisloe Test against New Zealand at the MCG.

Prop Allan Alaalatoa will serve as acting captain of the side in Saturday’s Test, joined in the front-row by Angus Bell as co-captain James Slipper reverts to the bench.

Fellow co-captain Michael Hooper remains on the sidelines with a calf injury as Tom Hooper starts at open-side flanker, returning from a shoulder niggle.

Scrumhalf Tate McDermott forms a new-look halves partnership alongside breakout star Carter Gordon.

It’s a remarkable rise for Gordon, who made his debut against South Africa at the start of the month.

“We are a team that wants to make Australia proud and Saturday night is a great opportunity to light up the MCG," Jones said in a statement.

“A young starting 15 and vibrant, experienced finishers will give us the 80 minutes we want.

“Wallaby Rugby versus New Zealand Rugby, it’s the most important game of the year.”

Melbourne-born back Jordan Petaia returns to the side after a wrist injury, slotting into the vacant outside centre position.

Petaia last played centre at Test level in 2020, partnering with Samu Kerevi, who retains his spot at inside centre.

He is joined in the starting side by Andrew Kellaway, who slots into fullback to complete the back three alongside Marika Koroibete and Mark Nawaqanitawase.

Nick Frost also makes his return to the starting side to partner Will Skelton in the second row.

Jones has named an experienced finishers group, headlined by the return of Taniela Tupou.

Tupou made his return from an Achilles injury for Australia A in Tonga a fortnight ago.

He is joined by the likes of Slipper, Nic White and Quade Cooper, with Izaia Perese added to the bench for his first appearance of 2023.

The Wallabies will also wear their First Nations kit for the first time in 2023, with over 80,000 expected at the MCG for the grudge match.

Wallabies team to play New Zealand at the Melbourne Cricket Ground, Melbourne on Saturday 29 July, 7:55pm AEST

1. Angus Bell (21 Tests)

2. David Porecki (12 Tests)

3. Allan Alaalatoa (acting captain) (66 Tests)

4. Nick Frost (10 Tests)

5. Will Skelton (26 Tests)

6. Jed Holloway (11 Tests)

7. Tom Hooper (1 Test)

8. Rob Valetini (32 Tests)

9. Tate McDermott (23 Tests)

10. Carter Gordon (2 Tests)

11. Marika Koroibete (53 Tests)

12. Samu Kerevi (43 Tests)

13. Jordan Petaia (25 Tests)

14. Mark Nawaqanitawase (4 Tests)

15. Andrew Kellaway (21 Tests)

Finishers

16. Jordan Uelese (17 Tests)

17. James Slipper (129 Tests)

18. Taniela Tupou (47 Tests)

19. Richie Arnold (2 Tests)

20. Rob Leota (14 Tests)

21. Nic White (61 Tests)

22. Quade Cooper (78 Tests)

23. Izaia Perese (3 Tests)

https://www.rugby.com.au/news/wallab...tralia-2023725

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by The InnFORCEr; 28-07-23 at 08:36.
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Oh fuck

We're back to the unbalanced backrow which won't pressure the ball on the floor.

This time against the All Blacks who will feast on the possession and ruck speed they can get from that.

If Skelton isn't taking care of two and three cleaners at virtually every ruck, this will prove the folly of trying to cover for a non-jumping lock by ignoring the ruck.

C'mon the

vCash
    All Blacks lose captain for Bledisloe blockbuster
    Story by Sam Worthington • 31m ago

The All Blacks have lost captain Sam Cane for Saturday's Bledisloe Cup opener against the Wallabies after taking a cautious approach with his injured neck.

Cane strained his neck in the 35-20 win over the Springboks in Auckland and has been replaced at openside flanker by Blues star Dalton Papali'i.

No.8 Ardie Savea will lead New Zealand for the fifth time in an otherwise unchanged starting line-up in Melbourne.

Cane had been expected to play after a week off to recover but, like the Wallabies with Michael Hooper, the All Blacks are taking no chances with their leading No.7 ahead of the Rugby World Cup.

There are five changes on the bench with Sam Whitelock, Anton Lienert-Brown, Cam Roigard, Ofa Tu'ungafasi and Luke Jacobson coming in for Tupou Vaa'i, Braydon Ennor, Finlay Christie, Tamaiti Williams and Papali'i.

Hurricanes halfback Roigard is in line for a Test debut in front of an expected crowd of 80,000 or more.

"This trophy means so much to both countries and we expect a massive challenge on Saturday," All Blacks coach Ian Foster said.

"As the final Rugby Championship Test, there is much at stake in this game.

"We have learned a lot from two stern Tests so far this year and there is huge excitement about playing Australia at this iconic ground."

The Wallabies also have a new captain in Allan Alaalatoa after coach Eddie Jones elected to name fellow prop James Slipper on his bench.

WALLABIES (15-1): Andrew Kellaway, Mark Nawaqanitawase, Jordan Petaia, Samu Kerevi, Marika Koroibete, Carter Gordon, Tate McDermott, Rob Valetini, Tom Hooper, Jed Holloway, Will Skelton, Nick Frost, Allan Alaalatoa (c), Dave Porecki, Angus Bell

Reserves: Jordan Uelese, James Slipper, Taniela Tupou, Richie Arnold, Rob Leota, Nic White, Quade Cooper, Izaia Perese

ALL BLACKS (15-1): Beauden Barrett, Will Jordan, Rieko Ioane, Jordie Barrett, Mark Telea, Richie Mo'unga, Aaron Smith, Ardie Savea (c), Dalton Papali'i, Shannon Frizell, Scott Barrett, Brodie Retallick, Tyrel Lomax, Codie Taylor, Ethan de Groot

Reserves: Samisoni Taukei'aho, Ofa Tu'ungafasi, Nepo Laulala, Sam Whitelock, Luke Jacobson, Cam Roigard, Anton Lienert-Brown, Caleb Clarke

Referee: Wayne Barnes (England)

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/othe...d4b696257&ei=8

vCash
    I think Barnes is one of the Kiwis favorite refs too

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    I get the sarcasm, but the appointment of Barnes is the one thing in the leadup to this match that has gone in the Wallabies' favour.

Papali'i for Cane will ensure that, not only do the ABs have quick ball (which they will with either because we have no fetcher) but they will also pilfer a ton of our ball, because Papali'i is IMHO better at that than Cane.

C'mon the

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    I am really disappointed that the All Blacks picked their "A" Team. I was hoping for at least C or D.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    Wasn't he supposed to retire from internationals last year?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Been convinced that this is no longer an International standard game.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Maybe he's been tipped the nod to be the ref in the final this year. I mean, England aren't reaching the final, are they?

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    He was considering throwing in the towel in 2019 and again last year when his wife received a terrible barrage of abuse when he refereed the SA v FRA game. He has indicated the world cup is likely to be the end of this road for him, so he can concentrate on his law practice.

Horrific Wayne Barnes abuse

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    Those stunts by Erasmus had slipped from memory. The worst thing I've seen from an office holder. Some people live in a fantasy world where Rugby referees are sacrosanct. Incidents like these prove how delusional that is. He was pretty unpopular in NZ after the France match in 2007. But not to that extent.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .X. View Post
    I am really disappointed that the All Blacks picked their "A" Team. I was hoping for at least C or D.
    I'm just confused. This thread says Bledisloe 1 is 28/7 (tomorrow) but the other one says Wallabies v All Blacks 29/7. Same game, innit?

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    29 July 7.45pm MCG Melbourne.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Given other options available in the Squad, I'm pretty comfortable with this combination.

Bell needs a solid run before the RWC and Slipper/Tupou not fully fit

Still not fully convinced of Porecki, but limited options

Skelton surely has to impress or experiment over.

Not seen enough of Hooper to know if he's a #7 in a #6/8 body or genuinely and Openside option

I really want to see the #9/10 combination in action, am expecting a high tempo style

I find Petaia a bit akin to Wright (hot & cold) but at his best he is a decent option

I don't see Uelese being the second best Hooker in Australian Rugby, but the options there are pretty thin too.

The rest of the Bench, again given the other options, is probably about as good as you can get.

It's pretty unlikely, but it just might be a boilover match, assisted by the news on Cane.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Given other options available in the Squad, I'm pretty comfortable with this combination.
    I'm not looking to jump off a tall building because some issues have been addressed, but still some big holes.

Bell needs a solid run before the RWC and Slipper/Tupou not fully fit
    Yup

Still not fully convinced of Porecki, but limited options
    Again yup, it's the reserve hooker I'm concerned about

Skelton surely has to impress or experiment over.
    I think Skelton is doing exactly what Eddie wants. His work around the field as a large body shifting other large bodies has generally been quite effective, so you can't fault him for playing a Will Skelton game. The issue I have is that we're stuffing the lineout to have that (where IMHO Frost and Neville have pretty much the same impact) and covering the lineout by picking three tall flankers and no jackal is killing us at the breakdown. I can see ways of covering that up, but that means every ruck is a big counterruck and don't even consider going for the ball. Aside from being predictable, it also means you need at least two blokes head down putting in the hard yards every ruck. Skelton is certainly able to counterruck effectively, but he simply doesn't get to enough rucks. If Eddie picks Skelton, he needs to build the rest of the pack around that to ensure they can play a complete game. That hasn't happened this time.

Not seen enough of Hooper to know if he's a #7 in a #6/8 body or genuinely and Openside option
    He's neither. will play a good #6/8 game and add weight to the counter, but rarely be there in time to get hands on ball.

I really want to see the #9/10 combination in action, am expecting a high tempo style
    Agreed

I find Petaia a bit akin to Wright (hot & cold) but at his best he is a decent option
    I think the upside for Petiaia is greater and the downside isn't worse (because I din't think it can get much worse) I do, however, think there are better options at 13. Perese and Flook are both much more reliable, but admittedly with less X Factor. I assume reliability isn't a Key Selection Criteria because we won't have any footy through completely ignoring the ball on the floor.

I don't see Uelese being the second best Hooker in Australian Rugby, but the options there are pretty thin too.
    I don't see Uelese being the second best hooker in a suburban thirds team. Surely EVERYONE in the Aus A program is better than him?

The rest of the Bench, again given the other options, is probably about as good as you can get.
    I'm not sure that's accurate, the Aus A program has some handy players in it, there is also an extended squad with a number of very capable players (excluding Vunivalu of course)

C'mon the

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast