Thread: Les Kiss named Queensland Reds coach

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Les Kiss named Queensland Reds coach

Thu, Jul 20, 2023, 9:57 AM
    Nathan Williamson

The Queensland Reds have confirmed their new head coach, signing Les Kiss on a three-year deal.

It's a homecoming for the Bundaberg-born Kiss, who has established himself as a successful coach across the world.

Kiss returns to Australia from London Irish, where he guided the Exiles to a fifth-place finish in 2023 – their best season in 15 years.

The 58-year-old also spent eight years with the Irish national side as assistant coach, helping them to three Six Nations titles (2009, 2014, 2015) and a Grand Slam (2009).

"Queensland Rugby has a proud history of 140 years and I am honoured to soon be a part of that as I begin this next chapter of my coaching career at the Reds," Kiss said in a statement.

"It was an attractive option. The opportunity to return home to Queensland and coach at a successful club in a new world-class facility at Ballymore was something which appealed to me greatly.

"The Reds have an exciting roster which I am really looking forward to working with. There's a pathway to the Wallabies with high-quality players boasting skill, ambition and endeavour.

"With anything in life, you need meaning and purpose. That's already clear to see here. Brad Thorn laid a culture of fight, spirit and hard-work, plus a love for the jersey – as Queenslanders we get that.

"I am committed to building on these strong foundations to help the Reds achieve their full potential in Super Rugby."

Kiss replaces fellow league convert Brad Thorn, with Kiss playing four matches for Queensland and four Tests for Australia.

QRU CEO David Hanham was equally excited to get a coach of Kiss' quality after an extensive search.

“On behalf of Queensland Rugby, I would like to officially welcome Les Kiss to the Reds Family as the new Queensland head coach," he added.

"Les comes to Ballymore with more than 20 years of professional coaching experience – including eight as a head coach across multiple club environments in the UK and Europe.

"He has had success at all levels including Six Nations titles with Ireland, Super Rugby and Pro14 finals with the Waratahs and Ulster plus English Premiership promotion at London Irish.

“Throughout an extensive three-stage selection process, Les was a standout candidate in front of an independent panel and provided us with clarity and confidence in his ability to be successful as head coach.

"As a Queenslander and having previously coached in Australia, combined with his wealth of experience and success, Les is an excellent fit for the Reds and we believe he has the right formula to take Queensland to the next level in Super Rugby,

https://www.rugby.com.au/news/les-ki...-coach-2023720

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Bloody mungo.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    I think this is a positive step, he's been coaching rugby for long enough to almost have the mungo stench washed off him.

I mean most of those years have been in England where washing is a low priority, but you get the reference right?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the