Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Wallabies v Argentina - Saturday 15 July 2023

vCash
    Looking at my thumbs, I recalled my post assessing some of the selections that Eddie made for the Jaapies and I thought it'd be good to run a follow up, so here it is.

Who was noteworthy in the leadup to the match

The list wasn't as clear as last week, but I'd suggest that the ones worth a mention were
    Marky Mark
    Matt Phillip (Because he seemingly swapped out for Nick Frost)
    Skelton
    Kemeny
    McReight
    Leota
    Uelese
    Bell
    Pone

and I'd like to mention Wright and Gordon just because it's my post and I can do what i want with it.

Nawaqanitawase
    Look I'm not sure whether my rave reviews of this bloke are because of how well he compares to Vunivalu or whether he's actually a great rugby player (I guess we'll find out next week) but he looked IMMENSE. Aggressive, fast, elusive, demanding work, finishing well when he had the opportunity, what more can you ask from a winger? Did he pur Koroibete to shame? no, did he confirm his starting spot over Vunivalu, ABSOLUTELY. He must play next week.

Phillip/Skelton
    I was a bit bemused by the selections in the second row. Skelton wasn't horrible last week, but he wasn't a superstar either. Arnold was OK off the bench but hardly anything to write home about. I can only assume that Nick Frost is injured or something, but haven't heard anything. Anyway, as it shakes out Matt Phillip was selected on the bench and clearly proved to be the best lock in a gold jersey as a result. Again, Skelton and Arnold were serviceable without being spectacular, and Arnold's dumb yellow card saw him getting a well deserved sit down. But Phillip was great. A hard working, no nonsense lock who does the ugly shit really well and doesn't make highlight reels. Another great player selecting himself (until Eddie decides to pick some passenger who is all hype and no substance) Phillip needs to start next week with Frost, and Skelton on the bench, but only because he wasn't as dumb as Arnold.

Kemeny, Well the selection of Kemeny, whilst not being a disaster in itself really cruelled the Wallabies' chances once Ikitau popped his shoulder. Kemeny was the forward who was selected instead of a back and then, when a back was required early he wasn't used despite both backs on the bench not really being suited to solving the problem. (Gordon was spectacular playing out of position BTW) Kemeny, when he did appear, was fine, playing a pretty standard backrow role with no massive highlights of either good or bad variety, so he'd get a pass mark. Should he play next week? no, put a back in his place on the bench and cover the next season ending injury.

McReight Bought in to replace Hooper, I thought Fraser McReight was needed to restore some balance to the back row and get some actual pressure on ruck ball. Whilst he didn't make a bunch of steals or pilfers, I do think that's what happened, he was in the right position and slowed down bunches of Argie ball, but the pilfer was virtually reffed out of this game so the benefit was mainly the extra time it took the opposition to play.This was critical, it would have been much worse if he hadn't been there. Should he start next week? well we're playing the All Blacks, who thrive on lightning ruck speeds so I'll let you figure it out.

Leota - onto the bench tall guy who I assume was there to play the hybrid 5/6 role that enables Skelton to take the field. Was he great - no, was he horrible - no IS there anything specific that sticks in my brain about him - no. Actually like Pone he was bland, OK, serviceable. So I'll include Pone in this paragraph. They came on, played minutes and didn't destroy anything, so better than some, but are they the answer to the questions.....Probably not, but what other options are there?

Bell, It was good to see young Angus come back from his injury. He replaced Slipper late-ish and it clearly looked like Slipper was cooked about ten minutes before. The scrum held up with him in place, I do remember one or two good runs in the loose, so all in all a serviceable replacement. Could probably stand coming on a bit earlier next week.

Uelese - Surely there's a better option than this lump of disappointment? To be fair, the scrum didn't backpedal when he came on like it did last week but I think there' more to say about the props in that discussion than the hooker. Lineout was less organised with him and he didn't do much around the park to make up for it. Would I play Lonergan instead of him? no, but I'd consider Fainga'a

My captain's picks
    Carter Gordon - man this kid just seems to take anything they throw at him and doo a good job of it. THe whole backline started to look excited when he came on and he did some great things. Yes there were some stuff ups mixed in with it, but overall he had another good game for a youngster. Personally, I'd keep doing exactly what they're doing with him, not heaping the pressure on, letting him learn the speed and power of the game at this level and giving him the opportunity to strut his stuff with a bit of a safety net. If they don't Lolesio him, he could be the starting ten for many years.

Tom Wright - surely that's the end of him in International rugby isn't it? he does some fantastic things, but the cost of those things is too great isn't it? Surely they can't go into every game thinking they're happy to risk two tries off his errors because of what he brings to the table? Get somebody else in there quick smart because the All Blacks are licking their lips at the prospect.

So, there it is, Overall I think there was more good than bad this week. I just hope that the tinkering starts to get a bit more effective, because time is short and it's really quite important that we get out of the pool at RWC. The team next week will be especially interesting as there's no ready made replacement for Ikitau, I expect Perese will get the gig, but there's as many issues with that as a selection as there are benefits.

GIGS out

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    No arguments with that assessment. Especially Wright. Why do so many not know how to throw "soft" passes in close quarters? A cause of many errors. Our defense needs a lot of work. Poor connection with players shooting out of the line. Los Pumas exploited it all night, easily creating space on the edges. Ruck defense just as poor. Very disappointing effort.
    Is it just me or did Jonker seem to be searching for something from the "Old Gold's" all night? Got the decider in the end even though nobody seemed to know what for.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by shasta; 16-07-23 at 11:46.

Rookie
    vCash
    I am hoping that some of these selections are just Eddie wanting to give them one shot to prove themselves before the World Cup squad is named. E.g Kemeny and that he didn’t pick frost is because he is already locked in.
    I think when it comes to the crunch and naming his best 23 he would have a 6/3 split on the bench which would include Samu and Hodge as that gives the best balance.

I think a lot is riding on Tupou and Bell having successful comebacks from
    Injury if we are going to have any impact at the World Cup

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Two Cents Rugby review

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Garry Owen View Post
    I am hoping that some of these selections are just Eddie wanting to give them one shot to prove themselves before the World Cup squad is named. E.g Kemeny and that he didn’t pick frost is because he is already locked in.
    I think when it comes to the crunch and naming his best 23 he would have a 6/3 split on the bench which would include Samu and Hodge as that gives the best balance.

I think a lot is riding on Tupou and Bell having successful comebacks from
    Injury if we are going to have any impact at the World Cup
    Re Samu, if he persists with picking Skelton to start, he would be smart to pick Samu at 8 for the lineout jumping option.

Yes, incredibly unfair on Valetini who is amongst our best every week, however we need the cover in the air.

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    ... incredibly unfair on Valetini who is amongst our best every week...
    That said, can you imagine the rage unleashed by Bobby V around the 60 minute mark against tiring legs/arms...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    That said, can you imagine the rage unleashed by Bobby V around the 60 minute mark against tiring legs/arms...
    *shudder*

C'mon the

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2