Wed, Jun 14, 2023, 11:30 AM
Nathan Williamson

The Wallabies’ World Cup preparation has potentially taken a major boost with an all-Australian coaching group confirmed for the Barbarians' tour of the UK.

Australia A coach and Waratahs assistant Jason Gilmore will take charge of the Barbarians for their Spring fixtures, set to run concurrently alongside the World Cup, likely to kick off against Bristol Bears at Ashton Gate on Thursday 7 September, 24 hours before the World Cup opener.

Matches have also been confirmed against Welsh side Scarlets (September 16) and English heavyweights Harlequins (October 7).

The Waratahs assistant will be joined by Junior Wallabies head coach Nathan Grey and Brumbies assistant Laurie Fisher, who departs the club at the end of the season.

Former Wallaby Berrick Barnes rounds out the staff, who has linked up with Eddie Jones' coaching staff as a part-time kicking consultant.

The Australian flavour of the coaching staff will likely see the invitational squad dominated by those who just miss out on the Wallabies' 33-player World Cup squad.

Whilst the Barbarians are often filled with players from across the world, the squad is generally dominated by players from the coach's nationality.

Current French boss Fabien Galthié picked almost a full French team in their 52-21 demolition of England in 2022 whilst Dave Rennie selected 10 Wallabies in the 2021 cancelled clash against Samoa.

“To coach the Barbarians on a UK tour is an exciting challenge and one I can’t wait for," Gilmore said in a statement.

“The opportunity to bring the Barbarian style of play to a full house at Ashton Gate in Bristol will make for a great match.”

"Having had the honour of playing for the Barbarians in 2005, it was something I will always be grateful for and enjoyed thoroughly," Grey added.

"Being asked to help coach the team with a great bunch of Aussie coaches is equally as exciting.

“An opportunity that I will grab with both hands and do my best to contribute to the fabric of the BaaBaas ethos and playing style. I can’t wait!”

https://www.rugby.com.au/news/all-au...k-tour-2023613