Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 'Racial abuse' stops game

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

'Racial abuse' stops game

Assume you were there Flat-top, any update on this?

'Racial abuse' stops game

From correspondents in London
    September 17, 2006

The English Premiership match between Northampton and Bath was briefly interrupted after a spectator complained about racist abuse allegedly being traded between the two teams overnight.

The game, won 33-18 by Northampton, was held up in the 57th minute by referee Wayne Barnes on the orders of the chief security officer at Northampton's ground, Franklin's Gardens.

Barnes told Northampton captain Bruce Reihana and Bath counterpart Isaac Feaunati to warn their players about their conduct, before restarting the game with a scrum.

None of the refereeing team was aware of any abuse but the Rugby Football Union confirmed it would be investigating what took place.

The only previous inquiry into allegations of racist abuse during a Premiership match ended with Gloucester's French hooker, Olivier Azam, being cleared by an RFU panel of abusing Newcastle's Tongan flanker, Epi Taione, in a game in December 2002.

Agence France-Presse

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    How would a spectator be able to hear what is being said on the pitch, and if it did in fact occur, why didn`t the player who was abused make a complaint...There is no place for racism in rugby, and also no place for spectators to become a part of it as well...What were the refs doing while this was going on, they have touch judges on the lines, and the man in the middle, yet they mysteriously heard nothing, but some tool in the crowd heard something and reported it to security, smells of overkill, but then the UK have a habit of doing that.....

vCash
    I have been to the Northampton rugby stadium, it's pretty good... did not get to catch a game though...

Every forwards dream is to become a back...

vCash
    The funniest thing i have heard coming from a player was Phil Waugh in the North vs South match when he said to a prop who was holding onto him off the ball "f off you fat c" it was picked up on the refs mic and broadcast all over the world. Pretty funny. I've also picked up a few players swearing on the ref mic during this international season.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    "Sports Ears" are a fantastic addition to the watching experience, amazing how much the Ref's mic picks up

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    remember warney's outburst after being hit for six which stump mic's picked up

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    I was just about to mention Mr Warne...

Every forwards dream is to become a back...

vCash
    That's Doctor Warne, now

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Of gynocology no doubt.

vCash
    Spelling Fulvio... it's spelt gynaecology. Thats the 2nd time you've been caught out

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    But in my defence, I only falter on the hard words.. Bugger though, it took you and Shaunmarn to catch me out. I promiss to do gooder from know onn.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RugbyFan
    it's spelt gynaecology.
    Always a tough one to get your tongue around.......

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Sorry Burgs must have missed this thread, its been a bit of a muddle over here with allegations from 6 or 7 "fans" who reported the abuse but as all good players do both protagonists decided to stick to the rugby code and leave it all on the pitch. Seems that the media got hold of this and the RFU were forced into taking it seriously.

The incident is about what Mark Robinson (NZ scrum half) alledgedly said to Andy Higgins (Bath winger).

At this point if anyone is easily offended please do not read on....

The reports from the crowd were that Robinson called Higgins a Black B*****d, Robinson has since refuted that and says his words were:

"As he would not give me the ball I yelled out: 'Give me the ball you f****ng useless *******.' He did not give me the ball so I yelled again: 'Come on mate, give me the ball.' He kept walking so I yelled out: 'You f*****g useless c**t' then I said: 'You big haired bastard'. He then placed the ball on the floor and I said: 'What a f*****g loser. Good on ya.' I repeat that I did not at any time make any racial comment to him or anyone else. I apologise for the use of such language ... I do not condone any form of racism whatsoever."

Needless to say Higgins does indeed have coloured skin and very "big" hair.

Think in truth everyone involved with the game just want this to die a death as it is only showing the game in a bad light. Up to you if you think he said big hair or as some of the crowd suggest he said black.

Personnaly I was more upset at how easily Bath were beaten (33 -18 ) by a side that admittedly had Carlos Spenser orchestrating everything only 7 days after a terrific home win against a stronger Leicester side.

Anyway we have Worcester at home this Saturday and should be looking for a bonus point win.

vCash
    How did boofhead... I mean Shaun Berne go?

vCash
    To be fair Sage he was a bit invisible which was disappointing after his previous two games where I scored his contribution very highly. lets hope it was just a bad day at the office. This report from our unofficial web-site might give a bit of a flavour - click on Four Try Saints too good for Bath.

http://www.bathrugbyere.co.uk/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast