Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: THREE CHANGES TO STARTING XV TO TAKE ON THE NSW WARATAHS

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by boof1050 View Post
    The cheap shot shasta!! No penalty nothing.
    Yeah I thought that was it. Just wondered if you were referring to how quickly he was assessed and went back on. Like I said he looked OK as he went off.

I can only agree. The discussion between Gardiner & TMO in the final minute was a mystery too.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Veteran
    vCash
    But that crap aside. We played terribly.

No punch, no toughness in defence, penalties galore.

We did not bring it, so they took it.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    The worst outcome of that incident sees Swinton called in to the Wallaby camp - due to others being under concussion protocols.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by palitu View Post
    But that crap aside. We played terribly.

No punch, no toughness in defence, penalties galore.

We did not bring it, so they took it.
    You’re dead right mate. Looked absolutely lost at sea!

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    The worst outcome of that incident sees Swinton called in to the Wallaby camp - due to others being under concussion protocols.
    On the Eddie Jones precedent ,( promotion of Dylan hartley to England captain) , Swinton could be the next wallabies skipper

Senior Player
    vCash
    I see Swinton has been cited for a Red card offence. If Gus or the touchies haven’t picked it up then what was the tmo doing??

Senior Player
    vCash
    Jeez lucky for you X more money you would’ve had to pay out!

Senior Player
    vCash
    NSW hardman Swinton wins Wallabies call-up, faces suspension for dangerous tackle

By Iain Payten
    Updated April 16, 2023 — 3.09pm

Waratahs hardman Lachlan Swinton has won a call-up to the Wallabies camp this week but is also facing a lengthy stint on the sidelines after being cited for a dangerous tackle against the Western Force.

Swinton was named on Sunday as one of seven replacement players to join the 33-man Wallabies squad for a three-day camp, which will begin on the Gold Coast on Monday. A large number of players were withdrawn after picking up injuries over the weekend’s round, including five players with concussions.

Lachlan Swinton was cited for this tackle on Western Force player Jake Strachan.

But in the same hour the Wallabies released their new squad, SANZAAR announced Swinton had been cited for a late hit on Western Force five-eighth Jake Strachan in the first minute of the Waratahs’ victory at Allianz Stadium on Saturday night.

The Waratahs flanker hit Strachan late and high after the Force No.10 kicked the ball in his own quarter, but the incident was missed by the TMO, David Conway. Strachan left the field for a HIA and played out the rest of the first half, but was assessed again for concussion at half-time and didn’t return.

The Western Force are privately fuming about the tackle escaping the attention of all match officials, believing a sanction for Swinton could have changed the game.

The SANZAAR citing commissioner deemed the Swinton hit contravened Law 9.13 – a player must not tackle an opponent late or dangerously – and it had met the red card threshhold. The case will be considered in the first instance by the SANZAAR Foul Play Review Committee on Monday, but Swinton will still join the Wallabies camp.

Lachie Swinton was cited for a late hit on Jake Strachan.Credit: Getty

Swinton was suspended for four weeks in 2020 after being sent off for a dangerous high tackle in his Test debut against New Zealand.

A suspension for Swinton would be a major blow for the Waratahs, with Ned Hanigan and Dave Porecki set to miss NSW’s clash with the Blues on Saturday with concussion.

Hanigan, Porecki, Len Ikitau, Blake Schoupp and Darcy Swain were the five players ruled out of the Wallabies squad after suffering concussions during their Super Rugby games.

Pete Samu (ankle) and Langi Gleeson (calf) were also withdrawn due to injury.

The seven players will still take part in the camp when a Zoom hook-up is held, which will also include overseas-based players and a group of injured players who were previously not considered for selection.

After displaying impressive form in NSW’s win over the Western Force on Saturday, Izaia Perese and Swinton were both added to the squad. Queensland No.8 Harry Wilson was also called up, after contentiously missing selection in the first batch of players named by Jones.

Reds lock Ryan Smith and hooker Matt Faessler also won their first call-ups to a Wallabies squad, and so too Brumbies prop Rhys Van Nek and flanker Rory Scott.

“While we feel for the players who have been ruled out, it provides an opportunity for those who will now come into camp,” Jones said.

Izzy Perese won a call-up to the Wallabies squad after originally missing out.Credit: Getty

“This camp will set the tone ahead of the Test season and we know we’re going to need a fast start.”

While Jones has named a handful of injured players – Taniela Tupou, Angus Bell and Rob Leota – to attend the camp as a rehab group, he only wanted fit players, who are able to train, to attend the camp.

Prior to being withdrawn from attending due to concussion, Hanigan said players were excited and slightly anxious about working with Jones.

“It’s everyone’s first one with Eddie. Seriously, I don’t know what to expect,” Hanigan said. “I just know we’re going to get up there and there’s going to be excitement around it, and he’ll have everybody signed on for those two, three days up there.

Harry Wilson has won a belated call-up.Credit: Getty

“It will be pretty intense, I can imagine. I think it’s pretty clear what Eddie wants: he’s ready for blokes to work.

“He’s a very good communicator. He picks up the phone and is pretty direct – short conversations. But he just tells blokes what he expects. What he wants from you, which is what we need. We need people telling us exactly what we’re after, and we can do our best to deliver on it.”

Jones said in his podcast that the Wallabies camp would be focussing on players lifting their standards.

Gordon and Perese send Eddie reminders as Waratahs bounce back with big win

“To win the World Cup you’ve got to win at 100 per cent. So 62 per cent is a big gap. Super Rugby performances haven’t been at the level we would expect and, therefore, we’ve got a lot of work to do which is daunting but also exciting,” he said.

“Talking about this camp, this is one of the central themes – ‘how are you going to find a bit more in yourself’?”

Iain Payten is deputy sports editor of the Sydney Morning Herald.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-u...16-p5d0t7.html

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by boof1050 View Post
    I see Swinton has been cited for a Red card offence. If Gus or the touchies haven’t picked it up then what was the tmo doing??
    Come on, let's be sensible here. It would have meant the Waratahs down to 14 for the whole game and we can't have that can we.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wholetruth View Post
    Come on, let's be sensible here. It would have meant the Waratahs down to 14 for the whole game and we can't have that can we.
    Nah it certainly wouldn’t fit the narrative!��
    A side that’s absolutely struggling, beautiful new stadium, struggling with the 9 wallabies they have! It certainly wouldn’t have fit the narrative.

Player
    vCash
    Swinton will be a liability wherever he plays ….. he’s both volatile and reckless and I see no evidence of a change. Eddie Jones better brush up on his 14 player strategy….

Last edited by bootsetal06; 16-04-23 at 15:41.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiap View Post
    [b]Strachan left the field for a HIA and played out the rest of the first half, but was assessed again for concussion at half-time and didn’t return.
    So much for my theory on Jake looking & maybe being, OK for next week. But not the first time symptoms can come on after the event. Had this happened in the NRL there would be calls for the TMO's inaction to be explained. Graeme Annesley would investigate and give a press briefing. I doubt a similar explanation will be forthcoming here.

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SNOB View Post
    I don’t know if I have the strength to go to the next three games! I will carry on watching and supporting them but I’m not going to buy another membership! They have worn me down.
    Dont be disspirited. Watch the Force Women instead.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bootsetal06 View Post
    Swinton will be a liability wherever he plays ….. he’s both volatile and reckless and I see no evidence of a change. Eddie Jones better brush up on his 14 player strategy….
    Medrano was doing an excellent job of pushing his buttons.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Late Swinton hit or not! Fed up of excuses

Yes we’re isolated

Yes we were unfairly booted

You can employ the best coaches but….. Yes were still shit!

What’s the fucking answer here????

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast