Thread: The demise of a Rugby Club

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash

The demise of a Rugby Club

Over the years I have proudly told stories about the Rugby Club I am personally involved with here in Sydney. I have regaled you all with tales of sporting triumphs in the Suburban Rugby Competition of Sydney.

But, today I bring sad news. My club which was originally established in 1891 is no more. In 2022 we were only able to field 2 sides and that was with multiple players backing up to play serious minutes in both games. Early this year the call went out for pre-season training and less than 10 players showed up. Along with losing the backing of the Club's major supporter. The call was made to cease operations.

We were at times a victim of our own success. Winning successive Grand Finals in multiple grades and Divisions over a 4 year period. Our best players retired because they had nothing left to prove and the lack of talent coming thru from lower grades.

Also, attitudes changed as new players were sought and respect for the club and the local community was lost causing our Major backer to step aside.

It's a sad day and to be honest I feel a little lost about what I am to do next in my Rugby journey.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    I know how you feel X,my suburban club back in NZ,Eastbourne,has for the past few years,only one team left,which is in a weight restricted divison,and basically is now just a feeder to the senior comp in Wellington

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    That's hard to take, X.

Today the attachment and loyalty of a player to a club is often, usually, no longer there.

They come, they go. A tank full of fuel a week is something that can buy a player for a season, sometimes less.

In our day we turned up for game after game, season after season sometimes playing 2, even 3 games to make up the numbers if required. We did it until our bodies could no longer cope with the punishment, and yet then took up other duties, coaching, managing ground marking, committee. And then when we got too old even for that, we spectated, heckled, and gave what little we have left to contribute.

Through out, we suffered horrible losses, as well as some wonderful highs, but our loyalty and support for "our" club never wavered.

Changing clubs was inconceivable. It was your second family, they were your friends, your brothers, your support when you needed it, and their crutch when they did.

But those days are gone. Now we must salvage what we can from our love of the sport, join another club when ours eventually fails, and bemoan the passing of an era that was once ours, but is no more.

We are the lucky ones. We have our memories.

Will they?

8 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Very sorry to hear that X. I have a feeling that joining another club might not be on your radar right now. Maybe there is a junior outfit that could use your help?

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    That sucks X. If, and when you find another club. They’ll be lucky to have you mate.

Wonderfully put Fulvio

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Great game, Fucken battled right through to the 80!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Bugger X, sorry to hear that mate.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Champion
    vCash
    Very Very sad. Totally agree with Fulvio.

Maybe maybe a few of you will find a way to revive and restart. Phoenix comes to mind, Lazarus too..not if they were forwards or backs though.