Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Rogers to return to NRL post France '07

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    http://www.rugbyheaven.smh.com.au/ar...777729029.html

"Rogers is already contracted to Gold Coast from the 2008 season but Channel Nine last night reported that he was so disillusioned with rugby union that he was considering bringing forward his return to his former code by a year."

"Rogers may also seek some form of payout from the ARU. Asked last night if the ARU would be prepared to release Rogers, Flowers said: "I'm not going to speculate on things before they happen. I don't propose to enter into that territory. Mat's contracted to us next year. With rugby it's quite different too. He's not only contracted to the ARU, he's contracted to NSW as well.

"He's only just returned from the Wallaby tour and he played two full internationals at No.10. But I'll certainly be seeking clarification from Mat, because we want a team of players who are absolutely committed to the rugby World Cup."

hmmm..maybe Connolly had a little chat to him on the flight home....

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    he might be able tog et out of the ARU but I doubt it would be as easy to get out of the NSWRU

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile
    What makes (Rogers) think that he will get a game in the RWC 2007? I think that is a little presumptive on his part.
    The recent tour has been quite enlightening regarding Roger's capacity (within the constraints of his current form) to be competitive as a starting 5/8th - notwithstanding his real desire to make an impact there.

His comments in the media - especially the sentiment that he should be given more chances and more time to make an impact - reflect the current feeling of some of the former wallabies that there is a rock-star mentality in the team at the moment. I would be more inclined to support Matt if he had come out and said - "You know, I need to work harder at this, this and this, to secure my desired position of starting 5/8th"...instead we got "you have to give me more time to get the combinations right..."

Deciding that he wants to quit now, rather than fight to prove to us (the fans) and Knuckles (representing the coaching staff and selectors) and most importantly the All-Blacks come RWC2007, that he has what it takes vindicates the public position of the greats that the attitude in the wallaby ranks isn't what it should be.

If Matt is truly moving back to the arena of his former glory, I hope that it signals the cleaning up of this culture within the Wallabies and reflects a move toward a unified team that will be competitive come France 07.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Don't let the door whack you on the arse on the way out Matty, you are welcome to leave early for mine.
    Can't stand his current attitude (as described by blindsid3 above) and he doesn't really bring anything extra to the bench or the field that we ca't find elsewhere.
    Prefer to have a "lesser" player with 100% commitment than a prima donna who allows rumours like this to fester.
    I think Knuckls should take the initiative and releave Mat of his obvious burden sooner than later

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I dont know if any of you actually saw the interview that the Rogers quote comes from but it certainly didn't come across like he was being a prima donna. Now don't get me wrong I couldn't care less if Rogers went back to league tomorrow. But I think his answer to a direct question has been taken out of context a bit. He basically said that he would have liked more time at 10 but the coaches were working on getting a balance side and thats their job, and that he would have to knuckle down to get a spot back.

Once again I think its a case of the media jumping on something and blowing it comepletely out of proportion... But if it opens up a spot on the Wallabies bench for some of the great young 10's coming through then I'm all for it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Incompetent isn't the right word... But its the first one that comes to mind.
    -- Chuck Palahniuk.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodent
    Once again I think its a case of the media jumping on something and blowing it comepletely out of proportion...
    Imagine balanced reporting! What would the world come to?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3