Poll: Multi Choice: Pick the NZ Teams you think we should defeat in 2007.

Thread: Implications of All Blacks "Conditioning Squad" for the Western Force

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Implications of All Blacks "Conditioning Squad" for the Western Force

Assuming that todays announcement of the following Squad of All Blacks being rested for "conditioning" during the first seven weeks of the 2007 Super 14 is allowed to happen, what are the implications for the Force?

Forwards: Jerry Collins (Wellington), Jason Eaton (Taranaki), Carl Hayman (Otago), Andrew Hore (Taranaki), Chris Jack (Tasman), Richie McCaw (Canterbury), Chris Masoe (Wellington), Keven Mealamu (Auckland), Anton Oliver (Otago), Greg Somerville (Canterbury), Rodney So'oialo (Wellington), Reuben Thorne (Canterbury), Ali Williams (Auckland), Tony Woodcock (North Harbour).
    Backs: Dan Carter (Canterbury), Byron Kelleher (Waikato), Leon MacDonald (Canterbury), Aaron Mauger (Canterbury), Malili Muliaina (Waikato), Josevata Rokocoko (Auckland), Sitiveni Sivivatu (Waikato), Piri Weepu (Wellington)

The published schedule for the Force is:

Round 1 Highlanders (Home)
    Round 2 Stormers (Away)
    Round 3 Bulls (Away)
    Round 4 Cats (Home)
    Round 5 Waratahs (Away)
    Round 6 Hurricanes (Home)
    Round 7 Reds (Home)
    Round 8 Bye
    Round 9 Sharks (Home)
    Round 10 Crusaders (Away)
    Round 11 Chiefs (Away)
    Round 12 Brumbies (Away)
    Round 13 Cheetahs (Home)
    Round 14 Blues (Home)

So, Round 1 the Highlanders Front Row will be without Oliver and Hayman with the likely replacements being Jason Macdonald at Hooker (9xS14) and Chris King at Tighthead (25xS14). As a Home fixture we should be looking to turn this into our first Home victory having pushed them to 25-22 Away last season.
    Round 6 against the Hurrcanes is our main advantage with Jerry Collins, Jason Eaton, Andrew Hore, Chris Masoe, Rodney So'oialo and Piri Weepu all rested.
    Possible replacements will be 2. Luke Mahoney, 4. Luke Andrews, 6. Ross Kennedy,7. Serge Lilo, 8.Thomas Waldrom and 9. Brendan Haami.
    Again, as a Home fixture we should be really looking to capitalise on the Hurricanes much weakend scrum to turn around the '06 29-5 Round 2 drubbing.
    Round 10. Unfortunately we will be heading to New Zealand to play a rested Crusaders who will be looking to pick up any available points in a bid to defend their title and will have the upset of the Subiaco draw in their minds as well. This will be a real test of character for the Force.
    Round 11 will also be a toughie however the majority of the Chiefs (and especially all the Forwards) will have been playing throughout the season so I don't think there will be much change in opportunity here.
    Round 14 will see the resumption of hostilities with what is becoming our "hate" team. Again, as with the Chiefs, the rest period shouldn't have much impact on the outcome and, following a probable Home win over the Cheetahs, the Force should be looking to notch a win over our bogey team at Subiaco to finish the season on a high.

On balance I think the Force will benefit in Round 1 and 6 and won't be affected in Round 11 and 14. The negative will be against the rampaging Crusaders in Round 10 however, in reality, we were probably only an outside chance of an upset there anyway.

For the other Australian teams in that Round 1-7 window, the Brumbies play the Chiefs R1A, the Blues R2H and Hurricanes R4A.
    The Waratahs luck out playing all the NZ teams from Round 8 onwards.
    The biggest beneficiaries are the Reds with the Hurricanes R1H, Crusaders R2A, Blues R4A, Highlanders R6A and only the Chiefs in Round 8 however that is at Home prior to their Bye and following a trip to Subiaco.

Personally, I think it is probably a bad decision for New Zealand Rugby and the Super 14 however, if it gives the Force a bit of a leg up on the ladder then so be it.
    Discussions on the actual policy have been going on here: http://thewholeforce.com/showthread.php?t=4116
    Perhaps the discussion on this thread can remain on the implications for the Force?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Burgs; 12-09-06 at 12:22.
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    you didn't let me pick a draw for Canterbury

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    I personally think we can beat all of the NZ teams

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    That's what I voted...

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    I believe that now, but voted ages ago that crusaders at home would be a loss, but i reckon we can win that as well...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

vCash
    Round 1 6 and 14 are pretty much locked in for me. Crusaders and Chiefs are not so solid, but we stacked up with the Crusaders pretty well away on Friday and we're not without our chances there. I guess the resumption of that bout will prove whether the Crusaders came west with compacency last year, or whether the game winning try by Haig was truly an indication ofwhat we can do on our night.

C'mon the

Prospect
    vCash
    The Cheifs will be the form team for the first 7 rounds, mark my words.

The force will not beat the Cheifs, but they will beat the Higlanders and maybe the Hurricanes and Crusaders.

vCash
    Time will tell, but i really do think the Force are gonna cause a few upsets this season...Welcome aboard slippers anyway, nice to have another kiwi, and one actually in NZ, online...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by frontrow
    ....... and one actually in NZ, online...
    What are you saying frontrow, that NZ is so backward that you didn't realise they had internet

Welcome slippers!
    I have actually tipped the Chiefs to beat us in the above poll, I think the Home Ground plus the return of your rested AB's and the previous week copping a full AB Crusaders will unfortunately see us not quite get there.
    Look forward to having you on TWF and feel free to keep us posted in the Super 14 forum on how your boys are going

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Well they missed the easy one and none are really a given especially after round 7 the only team the Force get before then is the Canes now and they wont be easy. Might have missed the big chance to beat a kiwi team...