Thread: Consider this - has your opinion changed

Legend Contributor
    vCash

Consider this - has your opinion changed

Have a read through this thread http://thewholeforce.com/showthread.php?t=3631 where we discussed the thought of the World Cup becoming a monster in itself (ignore the french talk )

Now think about what France and New Zealand have announced in recent times... Has this changed your opinion of the world cup?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sagerian
    I'm not sure how many people consider the world cup to be the be all and end all of world rugby. Possibly just those that are casual fans of the sport (or of course the fans of the current holder, but only to use as an excuse when losing games). However you can't underestimate it's importance (or any tournament that only comes around once every 4 years).

It's laughable to make it seem as though players or coaches do not take every single test seriously and that tours aren't given their due respect. But the rugby world cup SHOULD be and IS the ultimate goal. It doesn't take away from other trophies but it is the ULTIMATE achievement in rugby.

Nup, my opinion hasn't changed... Except the bit about players and coaches taking every test seriously.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ME!
    I absolutely agree with this. I'm sure a lot of people get excited about a world cup, I would have thought it was only the casual rugby spectator who sees it as the be all and end all?

It's all good to watch, but as a Wallabies supporter, the best thing about a world cup is those matches where we beat those dirty All Blacks or Sprinboks - and the poms too I guess.

A Bledisloe or TriNations win tastes at least as good - and we get it every year.
    mine neither...

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    your last point Coach... A Bledisloe or TriNations win tastes at least as good

Does it taste as good if the opposition doesn't field their number 1 team

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy

That's a really good question. I'd have to guess yes because as a fan you have no control over who the opposition fields as a team.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    What are they gonna say if they lost a Bledisloe, "but we only fielded our puss weak team" - that'll work for them....

A Bledisloe or Tri Nations win will always taste good, I seriously doubt that the Kiwis would field a weak team for either of these competitions (they pretty much have 2 full strength squads anyways!) and we probably wouldn;t notice if the South Africans did

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    I stand by all that I wrote - its a shame the french talk ruined a great discussion.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    I only hijacked it to settle everyone down. It was getting a little heated.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy
    your last point Coach... A Bledisloe or TriNations win tastes at least as good

A win over the ABs is a win! Currently Henry and co. are seeing how the combinations work out, and making sure we have backup in case of injury.

All they need to work on now is the freaking line out and the mid field. Other than that happy, excluding Rodder's brain explosion against the Bokke a couple of weeks ago.

vCash
    I can't help but wonder what will be the mood across the ditch should all these well made (?) plans fail to stop the Kiwi choke at the WC?

Messers Henry & Smith may well be digging themselves a very large hole for themselves and making a rod for the players' backs.

The old saying "it's only a game" doesn't seem to apply to Rugby in NZ, I'm afraid. Pity really. I remember seeing Rueben Thorne interviewed a couple of days before the 2003 semi final. I KNEW we'd win after that. He was dreading the public reaction, should they lose rather than fucussing on what needed to be done to win.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta
    I can't help but wonder what will be the mood across the ditch should all these well made (?) plans fail to stop the Kiwi choke at the WC?

Messers Henry & Smith may well be digging themselves a very large hole for themselves and making a rod for the players' backs.

The old saying "it's only a game" doesn't seem to apply to Rugby in NZ, I'm afraid. Pity really. I remember seeing Rueben Thorne interviewed a couple of days before the 2003 semi final. I KNEW we'd win after that. He was dreading the public reaction, should they lose rather than fucussing on what needed to be done to win.
    Fatalistic would be my call. The problem for the AB coaching staff, and as a certain ex Wallaby coach found recently also, is the public expect a high percentage of results outside the World Cup.

2007 should see the best prepared AB side at a World Cup, but it only takes one bad decision in one game to bow out of the competition early.

Rookie
    vCash
    Test matches are like FIFA friendlies these days. With regards to money and marketing the RWC is everything to the ARU. It certainly doesn't help when the Tri-nations is like an NRL season playing many meaningless matches.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Weebie
    Test matches are like FIFA friendlies these days. With regards to money and marketing the RWC is everything to the ARU. It certainly doesn't help when the Tri-nations is like an NRL season playing many meaningless matches.
    Surely they'll revert the T3 back to home and away, it's getting slightly boring l must admit. Dump the third games and bring in Argentina would work for me to be honest.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Travelling and the time the games would be played in Argentina would be very difficult.

Rookie
    vCash
    I know it could be complicated but it could of worked but its the powers that bee that will never make Rugby Union an international game beyond the commonwealth unions.