Thread: Proud to be Australian

vCash

Proud to be Australian

Being Australian is about driving in a German car to an Irish pub for a Belgian beer, then travelling home, grabbing an Indian curry or a Turkish kebab on the way, to sit on Swedish furniture and watch American shows on a Japanese TV.

AND...

Only in Australia ... can a pizza get to your house faster than an ambulance.

Only in Australia ... do supermarkets make sick people walk all the way to the back of the shop to get their prescriptions, while healthy people can buy cigarettes at the front.

Only in Australia ... do people order double cheeseburgers, large fries and a DIET coke.

Only in Australia ... do banks leave both doors open and chain the pens to the counters.

Only in Australia ... do we leave cars worth thousands of dollars on the drive, yet lock our junk and cheap lawn mower in the garage.

Only in Australia ... do we use answering machines to screen calls and then have call waiting so we won't miss a call from someone we didn't want to talk to in the first place.

Only in Australia ... are there disabled parking places in front of a skating rink.

NOT TO MENTION...

a. 3 Aussies die each year testing if a 9v battery works on their tongue.
    b. 142 Aussies were injured in 1999 by not removing all pins from new shirts.
    c. 58 Aussies are injured each year by using sharp knives instead of screwdrivers.
    d. 31 Aussies have died since 1996 by watering their Christmas tree while the fairy lights were plugged in.
    e. 8 Aussies had serious burns in 2000 trying on a new jumper with a lit cigarette in their mouth.
    f. A massive 543 Aussies were admitted to Emergency in the last two years after opening bottles of beer with their teeth.

AND FINALLY...

In 2000 eight Aussies cracked their skull whilst throwing up into the toilet.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    well if all that doesn't make you proud to be an aussie i don't know what will.
    but i must ask... where the heck did that all come from lonzy? talk about way out of left field there!

I made Happy sad...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonzy

Only in Australia ... do people order double cheeseburgers, large fries and a DIET coke.

In 2000 eight Aussies cracked their skull whilst throwing up into the toilet.
    This is more American Sorry LarryNJ!

Every forwards dream is to become a back...

vCash
    All of the t.op ones are the same here so it's not only in Australia.

Now the not to mentions, I'm sure we have that many stupid people, but I don't know if any of those things happen. How do you die from a battery?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryNJ
    How do you die from a battery?
    Anyone?

vCash
    First the simple question: Can you die from testing a 9V battery on your tongue? I have read newspaper reports (around 1990) of a woman dying after her boyfriend used a 9V battery as sexual stimulation.
    A brief look on the internet brings up a number of comments.

Apparently there was a US sailor being trained as an electrician who killed himself by sticking the probes of an Ohmmeter through his skin to measure his internal resistance.
    There are also claims of eight people a year dying in Australia (why just Australia?) from testing batteries.
    Now, the explanation I have heard as to why this is, is that in certain freak cases, the battery can make an almost direct connection to the nervous system where the nerves are close to the surface and the skin is wet, thus ionising the nerves so that they will not work correctly. Result is death.

The detractors who attempt to answer this question invariably end up quoting figures for levels of current which kill then stating that a batter cannot generate these levels of current. This basically just dodges the issue since we have a fairly specific set of circumstances and it is not claimed that the current actually kills, rather the effect of a DC potential connected directly to the nervous system.

Besides, the figures quoted are guidelines for safety and not intended to be an absolute guarantee of safety. It is also my understanding, having spoken to a number of older electrical engineers, that there were different figures quoted for lethality for DC voltages and AC voltages, with the level of DC being significantly lower than for AC. Hope you can find some information on this issue! Thank you very much for your time!

Dr Xheng Hu of the School of Electrical and Information Engineering at the University of Sydney confirms that a 9V battery does not have enough voltage to kill a person by testing it on the tongue.

He adds: "It cannot be entirely excluded however. If a person is very ill, for example, has heart problems, or has a heart pacemaker that could be disrupted, and so on, they could possibly die from testing the battery in this way. But normally it wouldn't happen."

vCash
    Good research, Lonz!!

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    WTF; imago .........??????.... hehehe? Lonzy you can speak English!, and post a thread i fully understand.

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Did Lonzy just put together a post (nay, two posts) that are comprehendable? Lord be praised!

TLH-great minds think alike -your post just beat mine.

vCash
    lmao! hey I can put together completely comprehendable posts ... I just find them too structured, I like to be abstract ... okay truth is ... I've taken my medicine ... lmao

vCash
    Or your dealer got busted, one of the two

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Very likely the Dealer is unavailable at this time

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    ... i am the dealer ... ... ... I have phenergon if any one with allergies is interested ... lmao ... I swear thats all im on ... i swear!!!!!!!!!!