Glorious news. I just hope we end up with Dan Carter. We deserve a truely world class player.

There’s action everywhere’: Carter, Giteau linked to breakaway comp

RUGBY
November 20, 2018 3:04pm
by JUSTIN CHADWICK
Source: AAP
Wallabies star Matt Giteau with All Blacks rival Dan Carter at ANZ Stadium, Sydney.
Wallabies star Matt Giteau with All Blacks rival Dan Carter at ANZ Stadium, Sydney.Source: News Corp Australia

Billionaire mining magnate Andrew Forrest says star players from around the world are banging down the door to ask about his new Global Rapid Rugby competition.
Forrest will launch the competition in either late February or early March, and he’s hoping to attract about 20 of the world’s top 100 rugby players.

Former All Black Dan Carter has already been linked to the new league, while Matt Giteau’s name has also been floated.

The marquee players will be spread across the eight franchises, with no salary cap in place for the league.

Global Rapid Rugby has already been conditionally sanctioned by the World Rugby Council, with Rugby Australia also giving its blessing.

NEW PODCAST! As England coach Eddie Jones predicted, former Wallabies captain and Randwick great Simon Poidevin joins us to preview the final Test of the year at Twickenham; Ireland take down New Zealand; and Aussie Sevens captain Lewi Holland

Subscribe to the podcast on iTunes by CLICKING HERE

The Western Force will join teams from Japan, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Singapore, Fiji, and Samoa in the breakaway competition that will feature rule changes to encourage a more exciting game style.

KIWI VIEW: All Blacks ‘aura of invincibility has vanished into thin air’

REBEL WITH A CAUSE: Cooper begins life at new Super Rugby club

DANCE OF THE DESPERATES: Jones ready for scrap with ‘street fighter’ Cheika

Andrew Forrest speaks before a World Series Rugby match in Perth.
Andrew Forrest speaks before a World Series Rugby match in Perth.Source: AAP

The eighth and final team has yet to be announced, but it could come from Hawaii.

Forrest said his phone had already been ringing hot from stars who are considering joining the new competition.

“There’s so much I’d love to tell you. There’s action everywhere,” Forrest said.

“We are receiving a number of calls. We don’t have to make them — they’re ringing us.

“They are some of the best names, you could reel them off the top of your head.

“I’m not going to mention any of them, but please watch this space.”

A little more than three months remains before the new competition kicks off.

And for those who doubt whether that is enough time, Forrest has a simple message for them.

“I heard that when we got World Series Rugby up and running in six weeks,” Forrest said.

“We were told it was completely impossible. For the fans who turned out, many of them said it was the best game of rugby they had ever seen.

“We’re all full steam ahead. We are up and away. This show is on the road.”

Forrest’s idea of launching a competition in the Indo Pacific region was born after the Force were dumped from Super Rugby.
https://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/t...b0203e730e3e8d