Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Global Rapid Rugby approved

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakkies View Post
    Most of the matches will be played in hot conditions.
    I honestly thought they may have gone for 30 minute halves.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chibi View Post
    Love that name, Robbie McRobbie, almost as good as this one...

Was he named by poll?
    Surely he can be renamed rugby mcrugby

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Rrrrobbie McRrrobie is Rrready 4 Rrrrapid Rrruggby..
    Rrrrrelease Rrrrugby

cheers auss...
    fabricarti diem punc

Champion
    vCash
    Twiggy Forrest targets world’s best players for Rapid Rugby
    Andrew “Twiggy” Forrest has World Series Rugby and Rapid Rugby following the Western Force’s removal from the Super Rugby. Picture: AAP
    Andrew “Twiggy” Forrest has World Series Rugby and Rapid Rugby following the Western Force’s removal from the Super Rugby. Picture: AAP
    EXCLUSIVE
    JOHN STENSHOLT
    RICH LISTS EDITOR
    @JohnStensholt

12:00AM NOVEMBER 17, 2018
    3 COMMENTS
    Given Andrew Forrest’s wealth is around the $4.5 billion mark, a $50 million investment in a new pan-Asian rugby competition could easily been seen as a financial drop in the ocean.

But that sum represents both probably the biggest investment by an individual in Australian team sport history and a huge bet taking a sport that is struggling locally into some countries where it has virtually no history.

The enthusiastic Forrest is not exactly one to shy away from a challenge, as he explains to The Weekend Australian. After all, he has built his $12bn iron ore giant Fortescue Metals Group from virtually nothing a little more than a decade ago to become the third force in mining alongside behemoths BHP and Rio Tinto.

READ NEXT

Bolt critic changes tune on race
    CHARLIE PEEL
    So why not do the same with his Rapid Rugby competition set to kick off in February — yes, about the same time as Super Rugby — with the Western Force at its epicentre and seven other teams based in places like Hawaii, Hong Kong, Kuala Lumpur and Fiji?

“We don’t do things by the rule book. Critics said we wouldn’t do this … but we are going to launch a brand new rugby competition with innovative rules,” Forrest told The Weekend Australian. “All those things that people don’t like about rugby now? We’ve taken those out. We will have an entertaining, fast-paced and dynamic game that fans want to watch and players want to play.”

Those points will certainly cause some consternation given the Rapid Rugby season — featuring 70-minute games with new and revised rules to keep the ball in play by making kicking into touch riskier and discouraging lineouts — overlaps that of Super Rugby.

In terms of fans, Forrest says he is growing new audiences. “We did surveys of the Force’s World Series Rugby matches this year and we found one in two people were new to rugby. So it is great if we can attract more women and families to the game.

“In Asia, you have 60 per cent of the population under 16. They want a fast-paced contact ball-carrying sport, and we think we can be that.”

Whether that works in non-traditional rugby nations remains to be seen. But then there is the matter of filling playing rosters.

There are Australians playing in Europe that could be enticed to the competition in which teams will have no salary cap. And Forrest says he wants 20 of the world’s best 100 players dispersed among his teams.

Does it mean a Super League style poaching war between Rapid Rugby and the established Super Rugby? “Watch this space is all I’m allowed to say right now. But when I say we’re targeting the best available I do mean the very best.”

Forrest’s teams will be the Western Force, which he plans to divest himself of, and others in Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong, Fiji, Samoa, Japan (potentially the Robbie Deans-coached Panasonic Wild Knights), Singapore and most likely Hawaii.

Most will at least begin with Forrest’s financial backing, though some cashed-up individuals could be involved. He says there has been good interest from broadcasters and that facet will be as innovative as the on-field action, which could mean streaming services show matches.

Winning the competition brings with it a $1m cheque and Forrest says there will be a particular focus on match-day entertainment.

“Fans may want their Rapid Rugby team to win but we also see them coming away from it saying ‘that was a really great day’ out no matter the result,’’ he said.

The comparison to the supposedly stodgy existing competition is stark even if Forrest wants to hose down talk of a rivalry. But his future expansion plans though could strike closer to Super Rugby’s heart though, including a team from Western Sydney.

“The west of Sydney is passionate about its rugby. I was asked by very significant individuals for it to be part of this, but it didn’t happen due to Rugby NSW. But I am keen to help in the future.”

Whatever the merits of Rapid Rugby, Forrest does not shy away from the money he will be putting into it — “remember I made a ($50 million) offer to Rugby Australia that would have seen them with the strongest balance sheet” — and that this is started due to what he saw was the injustice of the Western Force being kicked out of Super Rugby last year.

“I wasn’t a rugby tragic when I started this but I always supported the Force. I mean, the decision made no sense at all. Children all over WA were crying about this,” he said.

Hyperbole? Perhaps. Enthusiasm, certainly. But Forrest says he will see the vision through and refuses to believe it will eventually be an expensive folly.

“I have a knowledge of Asia that is very deep in a commercial sense and a social one as well. This is a long-term play, and I think over a five- or 10-year time frame you will see we will get a great result from this. I like the philosophy that out of every setback there’s an equal or greater opportunity.’’

JOHN STENSHOLTRICH LISTS EDITOR

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Onya Twiggy

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Senior Player
    vCash
    RA have given GRR the green light. Warning, article contains RA spin.

No threat seen as Rugby Australia gives blessing to rival competition

"A house divided against itself cannot stand” is a warning Rugby Australia seems to be heeding as the national governing body grapples with the advent of mining billionaire Andrew Forrest’s new venture, Rapid Rugby.

Already hailed as an alternative to the established Super Rugby tournament, Rapid Rugby has the potential to tear the game asunder in Australia similar to the Super League war which wreaked havoc on rugby league in the mid-1990s.

Rapid Rugby will involve eight teams across the Asia-Pacific region, including the Perth-based Western Force, as well as sides from Malaysia, Singapore, Hong Kong, Fiji, Samoa and Japan. There are also plans for teams in Western Sydney, China and India further along.

If Rapid Rugby, which will run concurrently with Super Rugby, becomes a competitor for players, crowds, sponsorship and broadcast revenue, the new competition could potentially convulse the game at a time when it is already fragile both commercially and competitively.

Yet, at this point Rugby Australia does not see Rapid Rugby as a direct threat to Super Rugby and the Wallabies, but rather a potential partner in growing the game, particularly in Asia. This explains RA’s swift sanctioning of the new competition.

RA is anxious to work with Forrest to promote and develop the game in Western Australia following the bloody axing of the Western Force from Super Rugby last year, the incident which triggered Forrest’s involvement in the game.

Rather than viewing Rapid Rugby as hostile, RA is looking at how the new competition can benefit all parties.

“I think Andrew’s intention is to try to strengthen the game of rugby in Asia and to work collaboratively with World Rugby and Rugby Australia in doing that,” Rugby Australia director and former Wallaby Brett Robinson said.

“From our perspective Super Rugby is the premier competition in Australia. I don’t think he is in direct competition with us. This is another vehicle allowing for semi-professional and professional players to participate in the game in this country.

“We see it as a great opportunity to support the Western Force participating in a meaningful competition. That’s a great thing for the game in Western Australia and young boys who have the aspiration to play at that level, which provides more players available to the national team.”

Forrest is committed to signing 20 of the world’s best players over the next two years. If Rapid Rugby poached players from Australia’s four remaining Super Rugby teams – the Brumbies, Melbourne Rebels, NSW Waratahs and Queensland Reds – it would cause friction.

But if Forrest was able to lure Australians playing in Europe and Japan to the Force, that would enhance the player pool for the Wallabies. Force players are still eligible for the Wallabies because the Perth-based side continues to play in the Rugby Australia-sponsored National Rugby Championship, a third-tier competition beneath Super Rugby.

“I know Andrew has ambitions to bring marquee players into each of the sides,” Robinson said. “If those players are Australian players, that’s a good thing for the game and ultimately for the Wallabies.

“We would like to see the Wallabies succeed globally. Any efforts by Andrew to support Rugby Australia’s desire to see our national team succeed is where we would like to go and he has made it very clear that sits at the heart of his intentions.

“Anything that he is doing to try to support that is great. I guess he is doing something new, it’s fresh, it’s got risk around it, but ultimately he is investing money into the game and that can only be a good thing.”

Forrest’s designs on Western Sydney could become a source of friction, particularly with the NSW Rugby Union, which runs the Waratahs Super Rugby franchise. Western Sydney is a fast-growing region which feels neglected by the rugby establishment, but NSW is unlikely to cede a two million population base.

Ideally, Rugby Australia would prefer Forrest to invest in an expanded NRC rather than set up a new competition, but they are keen to keep him inside the tent.

“World Rugby are in the middle of some significant conversations about the potential to establish an international calendar that is meaningful,” Robinson said. “That will have impacts potentially on The Rugby Championship and other competitions that sit underneath that.

“We would like to think we could work with Andrew on the layers of competitions that ultimately produce Wallabies. That’s the intention. There is a lot from a top down perspective to play out around competition structures that ultimately impact on Super Rugby and the third-tier competition in Australia.

“We’d like to continue to work with Andrew as those things develop and hopefully what he is doing aligns with what we are doing as the governing body in Australia.”
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...al-competition

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by volvo View Post
    RA have given GRR the green light. Warning, article contains RA spin.

No threat seen as Rugby Australia gives blessing to rival competition

"A house divided against itself cannot stand” is a warning Rugby Australia seems to be heeding as the national governing body grapples with the advent of mining billionaire Andrew Forrest’s new venture, Rapid Rugby.

Already hailed as an alternative to the established Super Rugby tournament, Rapid Rugby has the potential to tear the game asunder in Australia similar to the Super League war which wreaked havoc on rugby league in the mid-1990s.

Rapid Rugby will involve eight teams across the Asia-Pacific region, including the Perth-based Western Force, as well as sides from Malaysia, Singapore, Hong Kong, Fiji, Samoa and Japan. There are also plans for teams in Western Sydney, China and India further along.

If Rapid Rugby, which will run concurrently with Super Rugby, becomes a competitor for players, crowds, sponsorship and broadcast revenue, the new competition could potentially convulse the game at a time when it is already fragile both commercially and competitively.

Yet, at this point Rugby Australia does not see Rapid Rugby as a direct threat to Super Rugby and the Wallabies, but rather a potential partner in growing the game, particularly in Asia. This explains RA’s swift sanctioning of the new competition.

RA is anxious to work with Forrest to promote and develop the game in Western Australia following the bloody axing of the Western Force from Super Rugby last year, the incident which triggered Forrest’s involvement in the game.

Rather than viewing Rapid Rugby as hostile, RA is looking at how the new competition can benefit all parties.

“I think Andrew’s intention is to try to strengthen the game of rugby in Asia and to work collaboratively with World Rugby and Rugby Australia in doing that,” Rugby Australia director and former Wallaby Brett Robinson said.

“From our perspective Super Rugby is the premier competition in Australia. I don’t think he is in direct competition with us. This is another vehicle allowing for semi-professional and professional players to participate in the game in this country.

“We see it as a great opportunity to support the Western Force participating in a meaningful competition. That’s a great thing for the game in Western Australia and young boys who have the aspiration to play at that level, which provides more players available to the national team.”

Forrest is committed to signing 20 of the world’s best players over the next two years. If Rapid Rugby poached players from Australia’s four remaining Super Rugby teams – the Brumbies, Melbourne Rebels, NSW Waratahs and Queensland Reds – it would cause friction.

But if Forrest was able to lure Australians playing in Europe and Japan to the Force, that would enhance the player pool for the Wallabies. Force players are still eligible for the Wallabies because the Perth-based side continues to play in the Rugby Australia-sponsored National Rugby Championship, a third-tier competition beneath Super Rugby.

“I know Andrew has ambitions to bring marquee players into each of the sides,” Robinson said. “If those players are Australian players, that’s a good thing for the game and ultimately for the Wallabies.

“We would like to see the Wallabies succeed globally. Any efforts by Andrew to support Rugby Australia’s desire to see our national team succeed is where we would like to go and he has made it very clear that sits at the heart of his intentions.

“Anything that he is doing to try to support that is great. I guess he is doing something new, it’s fresh, it’s got risk around it, but ultimately he is investing money into the game and that can only be a good thing.”

Forrest’s designs on Western Sydney could become a source of friction, particularly with the NSW Rugby Union, which runs the Waratahs Super Rugby franchise. Western Sydney is a fast-growing region which feels neglected by the rugby establishment, but NSW is unlikely to cede a two million population base.

Ideally, Rugby Australia would prefer Forrest to invest in an expanded NRC rather than set up a new competition, but they are keen to keep him inside the tent.

“World Rugby are in the middle of some significant conversations about the potential to establish an international calendar that is meaningful,” Robinson said. “That will have impacts potentially on The Rugby Championship and other competitions that sit underneath that.

“We would like to think we could work with Andrew on the layers of competitions that ultimately produce Wallabies. That’s the intention. There is a lot from a top down perspective to play out around competition structures that ultimately impact on Super Rugby and the third-tier competition in Australia.

“We’d like to continue to work with Andrew as those things develop and hopefully what he is doing aligns with what we are doing as the governing body in Australia.”
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...al-competition

I see GRR as complimentary to SR and ultimately the NRC. With the inclusion of Samoa a case for their inclusion in the NRC could be made as could one for the WS team when that occurs. It would bring more interest and raise the level of overall professionalism of the competition which then helps creates another genuine commercial property.

RA approval is also a hedge. GRR offers them something they've never had and that's an alternative. Anyone thinking that Forrest wouldn't welcome the other 4 teams coming across is allowing their emotions get the better of them. It would actually be an ultimate win for Forrest if you need that. But having GRR up and running provides RA with the ability to press for a better deal in SANZAAR while having that option to take the Asia route with GRR.

This would likely come with a number of concession on RA behalf and one hopefully would be the opening of borders in regards to where talent can play. Which is actually a massive positive both from a talent retention but for young athletes in Australia looking for an opportunity. Three years in Kuala Lumpur while still being able to been seen by friends and family regularly would be very tempting as opposed to Geelong or Newcastle.

And if they are able to realise the supposed 130m Rugby 'fans' and taking into account the growth in the market then RA would be completely nuts not to be seriously evaluating the option and now look to begin to heal the relationship. Which regardless of the future is needed in this country. It would also go a long way to clearing the road blocks in the path of a WS side. Which I'm all for.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WCRugger View Post
    I see GRR as complimentary to SR and ultimately the NRC.
    Try as you might, just like Brett Robinson, to get some leverage from Andrew Forrest's very positive GRR announcement, the reality is that Rugby Australia had already given its approval back in September.

The final approval from World Rugby was on 14 November and now it appears that all that's left outstanding is for each of the Unions involved in GRR to ratify any additional conditions placed upon WRR by World Rugby flowing on from the 14 Nov WR meeting.

No team is able to force its way into GRR - and that includes the 4 remaining SR franchises.

Despite Forrest's praise given to Raelene Castle for her co-operation (Note - only for the past 6 months. She's been in the job for >10 months) it didn't extend to others such as Brett Robinson who has done nothing but obstruct and attempt to bushwhack GRR by delays, throwing up hurdles and obfuscation. Remember AF's comments about being Hong Kong based: "We avoid all those stultifying, walking through honey of the politics of Rugby Australia..(we) needed to be fast-moving, rapid decision making and no bias".

RA have already shown that they are "completely nuts" by knocking back AF's greater than $50M, for grass roots rugby, to retain the WF in SR, and not assisting RugbyNSW to see the benefit of having a professional team paid for in Western Sydney.
    It seems obvious (from the 3 way photo around the Sep announcement) that it was only NZRU pressure which forced RA's hand in September.

I can't imagine that there will any free entry into GRR for any of the Aussie SR franchises.
    There will need to be a truck load of concessions and a barrow load of $$s for GRR and the Asia/Pacific region.
    RA will continue to be completely nuts by not giving Wallabies eligibility to ALL Aussie players in GRR teams.

The benefits of 130M fans across the Asia/Pacific region will be felt by the growing GRR input.
    RA had done nothing, zero, nada to be given any part of what's happening - not a modicum, brass razzoo or phumteenth.

I expect RA will continue to fiddle while Rugby in Australia burns.

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewg View Post
    Try as you might, just like Brett Robinson, to get some leverage from Andrew Forrest's very positive GRR announcement, the reality is that Rugby Australia had already given its approval back in September.

The final approval from World Rugby was on 14 November and now it appears that all that's left outstanding is for each of the Unions involved in GRR to ratify any additional conditions placed upon WRR by World Rugby flowing on from the 14 Nov WR meeting.

No team is able to force its way into GRR - and that includes the 4 remaining SR franchises.

Despite Forrest's praise given to Raelene Castle for her co-operation (Note - only for the past 6 months. She's been in the job for >10 months) it didn't extend to others such as Brett Robinson who has done nothing but obstruct and attempt to bushwhack GRR by delays, throwing up hurdles and obfuscation.

RA have already shown that they are "completely nuts" by knocking back AF's greater than $50M, for grass roots rugby, to retain the WF in SR, and not assisting RugbyNSW to see the benefit of having a professional team paid for in Western Sydney.
    It seems obvious (from the 3 way photo around the Sep announcement) that it was only NZRU pressure which forced RA's hand in September.

I can't imagine that there will any free entry into GRR for any of the Aussie SR franchises.
    There will need to be a truck load of concessions and a barrow load of $$s for GRR and the Asia/Pacific region.
    RA will continue to be completely nuts by not giving Wallabies eligibility to ALL Aussie players in GRR teams.

The benefits of 130M fans across the Asia/Pacific region will be felt by the growing GRR input.
    RA had done nothing, zero, nada to be given any part of what's happening - not a modicum, brass razzoo or phumteenth.

I expect RA will continue to fiddle while Rugby in Australia burns.
    Mate, I'm not trying to leverage shit. But there comes a point where you have to take emotion out of the equation. Forrest would know this as would many of those around him. He's a businessman and he'd understand that developing a good working relationship with RA will make any future domestic ambitions such as a WS team a great deal easier.

I disagreed with RA cutting the Force. Thought it could have been resolved without setting WA adrift. And I've been receptive of the GRR concept and want to see it succeed. But maintaining the rage will not help anything.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    But maintaining the rage will not help anything.
    Disagree about the axing of the Western Force as much as you like.
    However, the lecture just shows that you have no idea how really p!$$7d off is Andrew Forrest and the Sea of Blue.
    AF has shown that he may foregive in business but he doesn't forget. (and everything related to this current RA Board he should NEVER forget). Have you forgotten that RA forced WARugby into administration?

Now IS NOT the time to be talking about reconciliation or AF helping RA because ALL of his efforts have been slapped down and RA did nothing to assist GRR until they were forced to be others. GRR could have been happening in 2018 if RA were genuinely supportive.

Right now (just over 12 months from the axing) the big picture for WA is GRR as RA gave us no other option.

I for one don't need to be lectured too and don't need sanctimony poured over the open wounds.

Certainly not while RA keep smothering their largesse on the Melbourne Rebels.

I respectfully suggest you direct your efforts to holding RA to account for the absolute waste of the savings expected from axing the Western Force.

Player
    vCash
    Disagree about the axing of the Western Force as much as you like.
    However, the lecture just shows that you have no idea how really p!$$7d off is Andrew Forrest and the Sea of Blue.
    AF has shown that he may foregive in business but he doesn't forget. (and everything related to this current RA Board he should NEVER forget). Have you forgotten that RA forced WARugby into administration?

Now IS NOT the time to be talking about reconciliation or AF helping RA because ALL of his efforts have been slapped down and RA did nothing to assist GRR until they were forced to be others. GRR could have been happening in 2018 if RA were genuinely supportive.

Right now (just over 12 months from the axing) the big picture for WA is GRR as RA gave us no other option.

I for one don't need to be lectured too and don't need sanctimony poured over the open wounds.

Certainly not while RA keep smothering their largesse on the Melbourne Rebels.

I respectfully suggest you direct your efforts to holding RA to account for the absolute waste of the savings expected from axing the Western Force.

Where have I've praised RA? And I'm not trying to suggest Forrest should help RA but developing a working relationship is important. Any successful businessman/woman (and I know a few) will tell you that emotion is the biggest killer and that despite your feelings you have toward a situation/person or organisation you have to be able to do what is best for your end goal. Which is to develop a working relationship with RA in Forrest's case.

vCash
    Which is to develop a working relationship with RA in Forrest's case.
    Over the last 6 months AF has obviously built a working relationship with RA's CEO.

But in the recent GRR announcement AF left no doubt as to what he thought of the rest of RA and those who blocked the Western Sydney bid.

I don't just know businessmen - I am a businessman. So once again - don't need your lecture.
    The reality is that NOBODY in the East knows Andrew Forrest .
    The other reality is that - now GRR has World Rugby approval - RA needs AF/GRR a whole lot more than AF/GRR needs RA.

I am in total agreement with Alan Jones on one thing - the current RA structure needs to be totally broken BEFORE rugby on the East Coast can move forward.
    You can have that business insight for nothing.

IMOt it's way TOO EARLY to be talking about AF/GRR doing anything with AR until AFTER GRR has settled in and the current SR farce is moved to something else - both beyond 2020.

Right now, I am 100% sure that as far as rugby matters are concerned AF's focus is Make It Happen for GRR with little thought about the needs or wants of RA.

IF there is to be any reconciliation then I suggest it has to come in genuine sincerity (and we've seen no sign of that) from the East to the West. So there's no confusion - it will be RA coming to AF not vv.

Can we get the thread talking about Global Rapid Rugby rather than the needs of, or the West's perceptions of, Rugby Australia.
    Coz, frankly WC Rugger, this West Australian has such low expectations from Rugby Australia that he just "doesn't give a damn".

6 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    It seems obvious (from the 3 way photo around the Sep announcement) that it was only NZRU pressure which forced RA's hand in September...
    And only then because they wanted some of that sweet Minderoo Moolah to fund their sixth professional team.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Well said AndrewG!!!
    «*We’d like to continue to work with Andrew as those things develop and hopefully what he is doing aligns with what we are doing as the governing body in Australia.”
    Aahhh ....how the worms are turning. One of RAs BIGGEST BOOBOOS was completely disrespecting Twiggy’s benevolent offer of help & the rugby people of WA! I believe Clyne got his nose out of joint as one of Twiggy’s conditions of the finance was for Clyne character to get out, and he’s not letting go of his gravy train anytime soon so they’re stuck with him as the walls burn down around them. Spin it any way you want but using the ‘just get over it’ line has worn thin. And yes the rage may be simmering, but it will always be there.

vCash
    If you’re talking about trying to mend bridges, the only way that can have a hope is for Clyne, Robinson & the rest of that a-hole Board to deliver a press conference & publicly admit they f##d up, committed fraticide and say «*we are very sorry and will never never ever do it again-promise, & we’re leaving Stage Right.*»

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast