Page 10 of 70 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 20 60 ... LastLast

Thread: Global Rapid Rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by volvo View Post
    President of Malaysia rugby tweeted about 5hrs ago that he was in a meting with GRR finalizing the Malaysian GRR team so there should hopefully be a big announcement about the Malaysian team sometime soon.
    Mainly a SA Curry Cup team is my news.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UAUdiver1959 View Post
    Mainly a SA Curry Cup team is my news.
    Source? There was a vague rumour about the Falcons being involved.

My own speculation was that Johan Rupert might be involved. But that is pure speculation on my part.

Champion
    vCash
    I found this interview with Hodgo on BBC news when I was searching for news on Malaysia.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06vm33h

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by volvo View Post
    President of Malaysia rugby tweeted about 5hrs ago that he was in a meting with GRR finalizing the Malaysian GRR team so there should hopefully be a big announcement about the Malaysian team sometime soon.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BrUvX39gfEd/

Senior Player
    vCash
    Most interesting development! The following is out of South Africa 5 hours ago:
    • Seven or eight teams in Rapid Rugby
    • February to mid June
    • SA province Valke included - separate from any potential Malaysian side, however they will play away.
    • This is SARU approved (will be a bit like Argentina Pampas who played in SA and, indeed, OZ some years back)
    • Teams from among: Force, HK, Fiji, Valke, Malaysia, Japan, Singapore, Samoa.

Most of these particulars are from a Monsieur Joubert of Valke (this means he is not Matt Hodgson. In other words he ain't at the source).

Nevertheless, this stuff is closer to the source than the internal witterings of us message board tragics.

via Netwerk24.com (translated from Afrikaans):

• By Tinus Van Staden December 16, 2018 09:37 | Rapport

Valke in 2019 deel van nuwe internasionale rugbyreeks

Die Valke (the Falcons) will participate in a brand new international rugby competition next year.

The Falcons will be one of seven or eight teams to participate in the Global Rapid Rugby Tournament, a brainchild of Australian millionaire Andrew Forrest.

The tournament came about as a competitive event in which Western Force could play after being pushed out of Super Rugby last year.

In addition to the Force and Falcons, teams from Fiji, Hong Kong, Japan, Malaysia, Samoa and Singapore will also participate in this tournament, which will take place from February to mid June.

Rudy Joubert, the Falcons director of rugby, says the South African Rugby Union (Saru) has given the necessary approval. World Rugby has also given approval for Global Rapid Rugby so that the Falcons can participate in this tournament.

Joubert says the Falcons will participate in this tournament and at the SuperSport Challenge.

According to him, the Falcons participation in this competition will provide a welcome financial injection. Another plus is the experience that the players will gain.

Rapid Rugby is experimenting with a few bold rules, such as "power tries", which count nine points when the play begins from within opponent's quarter.

Robbie McRobbie, Hong Kong Rugby CEO, apparently played a major role in the Valke's participation in the tournament.

McRobbie and Mal Thompson, a former chairman of the Falcons Rugby Company, are well-known friends.

The matches will be played in all participating countries except South Africa.

Last edited by Kiap; 16-12-18 at 23:34. Reason: translation tweaks

Champion
    vCash

""SA province Valke included - separate from any potential Malaysian side, however they will play away.""

Kiap, where did that bit come from?

Twiggy said something about a "South African"" involvement in the Maylaysian team. Who or how I dont know.

There might be some clues in this picture of Hodgo and the Malaysians holding their jumpers. The are few guys who dont looking like Malaysians. None of them look like Rudy Joubert.

vCash
    I'm giving up on speculating the line-up of the comp. The only constant so far is that it changes with every new media piece

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JSJ View Post
    Twiggy said something about a "South African" involvement in the Malaysian team. Who or how I dont know.
    That was my understanding: private South African backers. This new angle of Valke playing GRR, if that's how it will really pan out, surprised me.

There might be some clues in this picture of Hodgo and the Malaysians holding their jumpers. The are few guys who dont looking like Malaysians. None of them look like Rudy Joubert.

Maybe different group of financial partners? Maybe same group but now a separate team (or teams) Dunno.

""SA province Valke included - separate from any potential Malaysian side, however they will play away.""

Kiap, where did that bit come from?
    From what I can tell, this was put forward in passages within the article.

My Afrikaans is poor (read: virtually non-existent) so perhaps other posters here can translate:

Benewens die Force en Valke, salspanne van Fidji, Hongkong, Japan, Maleisië, Samoa en Singapoer ook aan dié toernooi deelneem, wat van Februarie tot middelJunie sal plaasvind.
    Die wedstryde sal in al die deelnemende lande, behalwe Suid-Afrika, gespeel word.

The original article is here

Note: It is free-walled, however if you put in an email address and come up with a South African phone number to plug in, you can access the site.

Last edited by Kiap; 17-12-18 at 09:38.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiap View Post
    My Afrikaans is poor (read: virtually non-existent) so perhaps other posters here can translate:

[INDENT]Benewens die Force en Valke, salspanne van Fidji, Hongkong, Japan, Maleisië, Samoa en Singapoer ook aan dié toernooi deelneem, wat van Februarie tot middelJunie sal plaasvind.
    Die wedstryde sal in al die deelnemende lande, behalwe Suid-Afrika, gespeel word.
    Besides the Force and the Falcons, teams from Fiji, Hong Kong, Japan, Malaysia, Samoa & Singapore will take part in the tournament running from February to Mid June.
    The games will take place in all participants countries except South Africa.

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to ..........."

Senior Player
    vCash
    Maybe they are the Malaysian team anyway ... and they mentioned Malaysia as "another" team but there's only one. (?)

Basically, we have to await more info ...

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tdevil View Post
    Besides the Force and the Falcons, teams from Fiji, Hong Kong, Japan, Malaysia, Samoa & Singapore will take part in the tournament running from February to Mid June.
    The games will take place in all participants countries except South Africa.
    Thanks. Essentially the same meaning, as I see it, as the English transcription of the original post

In addition to the Force and Falcons, teams from Fiji, Hong Kong, Japan, Malaysia, Samoa and Singapore will also participate in this tournament, which will take place from February to mid June.

However, it maybe a slap-dash piece - if Malaysia and the Falcons are one and the same.

Champion
    vCash
    Thanks. Essentially the same meaning, as I see it, as the English transcription of the original post

However, it maybe a slap-dash piece - if Malaysia and the Falcons are one and the same.
    Well the team missing from that list is Hawaii. I thought they were the first to sign? Or have USArugby knocked it on the head?

Senior Player
    vCash
    Well the team missing from that list is Hawaii. I thought they were the first to sign? Or have USArugby knocked it on the head?
    I think that story you linked from Radio NZ up the page mentioned Samoa were trying to get Richard Fale on board - perhaps having some games in Honolulu and the rest in Samoa.

Not sure, but it leans towards Hawaii not being locked in. Possibly a couple reasons; extra distance to fly there and having to recruit players from the PIs (Samoa, Tonga and the likes) anyway.

But again, we might yet see both Samoa and Hawaii. Who knows at this stage?

Prospect
    vCash
    Maybe they are the Malaysian team anyway ... and they mentioned Malaysia as "another" team but there's only one. (?)

Basically, we have to await more info ...
    There will be a team based in Malaysia, which will predominantly consist of players from the Falcons. The Falcons will have their management staff and core squad based in Malaysia for 5 months, and will play their home matches in Malaysia and Borneo. In addition to Falcons players, other players from Malaysia and from the Borneo Eagles will also be utilised in the squad.

EDIT: Oh, and former All Black Luke McAlister is currently playing over there and expected to sign up for the team.

Last edited by FlapjackJoe; 18-12-18 at 10:20.

Page 10 of 70 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 20 60 ... LastLast