Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rugby Australia confident of broadcast uplift in 2021

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Rugby Australia confident of broadcast uplift in 2021

By Georgina Robinson
    1 November 2018 — 8:00pm

Rugby Australia boss Raelene Castle says she is hopeful of an uplift in broadcast revenue for the next iteration of Super
    Rugby and the Rugby Championship as World League talks continue to provide optimism in the southern hemisphere.

Castle and her SANZAAR counterparts tacked a sales pitch at international sports broadcasting conference Sportel in Monaco on to a trip north to watch the third Bledisloe Cup clash in Japan last week.

The southern hemisphere national unions are in the throes of negotiating the shape of their domestic and international competitions for 2021 and beyond and went to Sportel to get a feel for market interest.

Castle was measured but optimistic that a broadcast offering taking in the cross-hemisphere World League concept and a reformed Super Rugby would deliver more money for all the SANZAAR partners.

"The interesting thing is what package do you take to the broadcasters? You can’t look at Super Rugby in isolation," she said.

"Our domestic competition is Super Rugby, [there's] our international product and then there’s the potential of this World League and that is no doubt a strategic conversation from World Rugby to see if we can maximise our broadcast rights right across the world.

"It’s about what we can do, having broadcast conversations in this market, about the rugby package, that we can deliver.
    On the package, yes I do think we can grow our broadcast revenues."

The World League concept has delayed agreement on Super Rugby and the Rugby Championship, with a likely timeline now pushed back until the middle of next year while World Rugby tries to broker agreement from the home unions.

Castle, who was in Sydney to announce a new partnership between the Australian Army and Rugby Australia, confirmed it was unlikely a Fijian or Pacific Islands team would be added to Super Rugby in the next broadcast cycle, despite the success of the Drua in this year's National Rugby Championship.

"It’s an interesting balance for us in Super Rugby," she said. "Is that the place to try and trial new products and bring them into the environment? We know that the financial sustainability of teams has been a real challenge for every nation within the Super Rugby competition and financial sustainability is a really important part of the mix.

"So for us we see the success of the Drua as an opportunity to grow and evolve. Will we see a Fijian or Pacific Islands team in the short term in Super Rugby? Possibly not in the very short term but we continue to have those conversations."

In some good news for the Australian game, next year's Bledisloe Cup Test in Perth - including a double header with the Wallaroos and Black Ferns - sold out on Thursday, just six days after going on sale. It is the first time a Bledisloe Cup Tests has sold out since 2006, albeit at a smaller venue in the 60,000-seat Optus Stadium.

Castle said it showed rugby was alive and well in Western Australia and confirmed RA were in talks to add another Test match to next year's abridged schedule ahead of the Rugby World Cup.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-u...01-p50dg8.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    By Georgina Robinson
    1 November 2018 — 8:00pm

Rugby Australia boss Raelene Castle says she is hopeful of an uplift in broadcast revenue for the next iteration of Super
    Rugby and the Rugby Championship as World League talks continue to provide optimism in the southern hemisphere. (Hopeful and optimistic, sounds like there is no certainty at all)

Castle and her SANZAAR counterparts tacked a sales pitch at international sports broadcasting conference Sportel in Monaco on to a trip north to watch the third Bledisloe Cup clash in Japan last week. (Who are they trying to sell to, are Foxtel not interested anymore and they need a new broadcaster??)

The southern hemisphere national unions are in the throes of negotiating the shape of their domestic and international competitions for 2021 and beyond and went to Sportel to get a feel for market interest. (market interest, journo speak for our old broadcaster is no longer interested??)

Castle was measured but optimistic that a broadcast offering taking in the cross-hemisphere World League concept and a reformed Super Rugby would deliver more money for all the SANZAAR partners. (more money, of course you need more money!!)

"The interesting thing is what package do you take to the broadcasters? You can’t look at Super Rugby in isolation," she said. (no you can't it is broken and cannot be fixed)

"Our domestic competition is Super Rugby, [there's] our international product and then there’s the potential of this World League and that is no doubt a strategic conversation from World Rugby to see if we can maximise our broadcast rights right across the world. (need some help from the big boys do ya?)

"It’s about what we can do, having broadcast conversations in this market, about the rugby package, that we can deliver.
    On the package, yes I do think we can grow our broadcast revenues." (show me the money)

The World League concept has delayed agreement on Super Rugby and the Rugby Championship, with a likely timeline now pushed back until the middle of next year while World Rugby tries to broker agreement from the home unions. (excuses, excuses, you know it is screwed and are delaying the inevitable)

Castle, who was in Sydney to announce a new partnership between the Australian Army and Rugby Australia, confirmed it was unlikely a Fijian or Pacific Islands team would be added to Super Rugby in the next broadcast cycle, despite the success of the Drua in this year's National Rugby Championship. (you want to take them down with you're sinking ship, hope they don't fall it)

"It’s an interesting balance for us in Super Rugby," she said. "Is that the place to try and trial new products and bring them into the environment? We know that the financial sustainability of teams has been a real challenge for every nation within the Super Rugby competition and financial sustainability is a really important part of the mix. (new products, that worked well with Japan and the Argies didn't it)

"So for us we see the success of the Drua as an opportunity to grow and evolve. Will we see a Fijian or Pacific Islands team in the short term in Super Rugby? Possibly not in the very short term but we continue to have those conversations." (keep stringing them along until World Rugby give you some money to take them in is what I read)

In some good news for the Australian game, next year's Bledisloe Cup Test in Perth - including a double header with the Wallaroos and Black Ferns - sold out on Thursday, just six days after going on sale. It is the first time a Bledisloe Cup Tests has sold out since 2006, albeit at a smaller venue in the 60,000-seat Optus Stadium. (probably the only good news that we have had for Australian Rugby this year and it came from WA)

Castle said it showed rugby was alive and well in Western Australia and confirmed RA were in talks to add another Test match to next year's abridged schedule ahead of the Rugby World Cup. (yes it is alive and well in WA, always was, despite ARU trying to kill it off)

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-u...01-p50dg8.html
    What a complete load of rubbish, asks more question and creates further uncertainty for those in the heartlands if you read between the lines!!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Champion
    vCash
    "Castle said it showed rugby was alive and well in Western Australia" -- despite the RA

vCash
    Did Castle do a degree in bullshit?

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JSJ View Post
    "Castle said it showed rugby was alive and well in Western Australia" -- despite the RA
    Should probably read

"Castle said it showed rugby was alive and well in Western Australia" -- despite the best efforts of the ARU/RA and the NSWRU.

There is still a clique of significant personalities in the Moore Park bunker (and in the David Phillips) who want nothing less than the reduction of rugby union in WA to a few poorly funded local clubs. A "Sold Out" sign at the 2019 Bledisloe in Perth is the last thing that they wanted to see.

vCash
    So Gee Rob, Panda, Payton can I help with your next headline and article...

"How We Got It So Wrong" and then just continue to write your normal drivel

vCash
    Where is the growth going to come from?

The record breaking deals for CA, the NRL and AFL all came because of combo bids from FTA and Fox, not to mention demand for the rights.

There isn't going to be a bidding war over the Rugby TV rights like the recent deals for all of the above codes and with not a lot of content that is able to televised during prime time the value won't dramatically go up. No network will want to pay big dollars for content screened at midnight that will be watched by 17 people and a dog.

The last increase came primarily from the UK ffs.

vCash
    I am hopeful of an uplift in disposable revenue after the next iteration of Powerball. Strategic collaborations about how we can distribute that liquidity continue to provide optimism moving forward.

It had been suggested that we are stuck in a rut doing the same thing over and over and expecting to appropriately embrace high-payoff quality vectors. Initially I engaged an expert consultant - The Amazing Mumford - to help find a catalyst for change. Unfortunately all he could leverage was "A-La-Peanut Butter Sandwiches". So The Boss said " We cant afford to dynamically switch to parallel task tactical applications. We've been doing those numbers since 1984 - you moron!" Dead Set!

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    that'ill do me

vCash
    Cuts a team from the only growing expansion area in the country "Our domestic competition is Super Rugby,"

Bledisloe sells out, "Castle said it showed rugby was alive and well in Western Australia"

You can't make this shit up.

It's like booking a clichéd pro-wrestling angle

Last edited by chibi; 07-11-18 at 21:16.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    It is a little hard to see the point being made. Is it that Rugby thrives when RA stops being involved? If so, I wonder if it a hint that RA has noted the correlation and the other states are about to get some loving just as tough...?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chibi View Post
    Cuts a team from the only growing expansion are in the country "Our domestic competition is Super Rugby,"

Bledisloe sells out, "Castle said it showed rugby was alive and well in Western Australia"

You can't make this shit up.

It's like booking a clichéd pro-wrestling angle
    I like the metaphor. Now, to go further down the rabbit hole, good pro-wrestling fueds always used to end in a steel cage match. Two enter, one leaves victorious. Clyne v Twiggy in the Steel Cage!

vCash
    The hot gossip is that FoxSports are reluctant to make even an offer beyond 2020.
    So really what option does Raelene have but to talk up the situation.
    Without FoxSports $$s the current system of funding the professional game in Oz is broken.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Without Fox Sports the game would go amateur here in Australia.

vCash
    Who could blame Fox? If the hot gossip is true, that surely spells the end of SANZAAR as well?

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast