Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: World Series Rugby gets tick of approval from World Rugby Council

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

World Series Rugby gets tick of approval from World Rugby Council

Nick Taylor
    The West Australian
    Friday, 28 September 2018 1:46PM

World Series Rugby has been given the tick of approval by the sport’s governing body and the Western Force will battle seven teams for a $1 million purse in the revolutionary tournament next year.

The competition, bankrolled by Perth mining magnate Andrew Forrest, will create the biggest shake-up in rugby since the sport turned professional 23 years ago.

It will kick-off in March and is expected to feature two sides from Japan, and one each from New Zealand - possibly an “all stars” team drawn from the Mitre 10 Cup - Fiji, Hong Kong, Singapore and Western Sydney.

At least two more teams may be added within five years and negotiations have begun with broadcasters throughout the regions where games will be played.

“We are in the final stretch and I remain confident rugby fans and players in our part of the world will have an innovative new competition to get behind in 2019,” Forrest said.

Forrest’s plans were considered by World Rugby’s executive committee on Wednesday who recommended approval to the World Rugby Council, subject to regulatory and governance criteria.

“This concept is about developing and growing the great game of rugby union in an untapped region, with the support of local communities,” Forrest said.

“We have worked closely with World Rugby, Rugby Australia, Hong Kong Rugby Union and New Zealand Rugby for several months to get this over the line.

“The support provided by the World Rugby executive committee is an important milestone and I would particularly like to thank World Rugby chief executive Brett Gosper, Rugby Australia CEO Raelene Castle and the many other rugby leaders around the world that have had the vision and foresight to champion this competition.

“The Asia Pacific will be a major player in rugby’s future. I am looking forward to being able to help develop the game in the region.”
    Earlier this week Gosper said: “Generally World Rugby’s position is, if someone wants to put money in the sport .... we would encourage that.

“If someone comes along with a cheque book and wants to develop the game in areas, in particular where we need that development, and I’m thinking across parts of Asia which Mr Forrest has in mind, then that’s of interest to us.”

RA chief executive Raelene Castle said: “We have worked very closely with Andrew and his team as he has developed plans for an Asia Pacific focussed competition. There is a lot of detail to work through and we are looking forward to continuing this positive dialogue over the coming months.”

One of the sides expected to join the new competition is the Robbie Deans-coached Panasonic Wild Knights, who played the Force in one of seven invitation matches earlier this year.

The Western Sydney-based team would have a strong Samoa and Tonga influence but would also tap into the area's talent-laden resources.
    Shute Shield premiership-winning Warringah Rats coach Darren Coleman has been sounded out as coach of the new side.

Coleman, currently coaching NSW Country Eagles in the National Rugby Championship, led the Rats to the 2017 premiership and this year’s grand final.

Clubs are expected to be owned by companies, individuals, national unions or current management and will not be tied to a salary cap for their 30-man squads.

WSR is also expected to contract eight marquee players who will be directed to clubs to produce a level playing field.

The competition will be played between March and June next year over a 14-week home-and-away season. The top four sides will go into a three-week sudden-death finals series.

WSR has morphed from Forest’s original plan for a six-team Indo Pacific Rugby Championship. It will be run by an independent board with Forrest as chairman and there will be a commission of clubs.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/rugby-u...-ng-b88975383z

14 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by The InnFORCEr; 28-09-18 at 14:09.
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Best news ever, well done on the scoop Nick

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    So the teams are

Western Force
    2 x Japan with Panasonic to be one of them
    NZ Allstars
    Fiji
    Hong Kong
    Singapore

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I take it the Kiwi players will be players from a draft pool that don't get picked up by the five Super Rugby teams.

As for players the first target should be Duane Vermeulen currently playing in Japan without a Super Rugby team. It looks like none of the SA teams can afford him.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

Senior Player
    vCash

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Name:  yes.jpg
Views: 1069
Size:  9.8 KB

Suppose I should change my avatar

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Pichot played a blinder by getting this meeting set up in Sydney.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

Champion
    vCash
    Made my weekend!

Champion
    vCash
    somebody better tweet Georgina that it is definitely not a rebel competition now.

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JSJ View Post
    somebody better tweet Georgina that it is definitely not a rebel competition now.
    Done

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Senior Player
    vCash
    Looking good!

Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    The top four sides will go into a three-week sudden-death finals series.
    Must be soccer-style two-leg semifinals or something?

vCash
    Probably similar to the semi finals in the ACT. 1 v 2 plays each other. Winner goes through to the Final. Loser to the Preliminary Final. 3 v 4. Winner to the Preliminary Final. Loser drops out.

vCash
    FAN-bloody-TASTIC!!!!!!!

6 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    ‘King awesome news! I’ll have to drink to that!🍻🍻🍻🥃🥃🥃🥃🍷🍷🍷🍷 in any order!
    Cheers Twiggy, Hodgo and crew!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    That's incredible news. I particular like the comment where they thank Raelene Castle when she represented Rugby Australia and colluded in blocking WSR from being approved much earlier. Raelene or Rugby Australia & Clyne will definitely not be remembered positively for any of this, for splitting the sport up and almost creating a rugby revolution.

It has obviously taken a scathing attack from the World Rugby executive committee on Rugby Australia to see this through from their end. Obviously now the World Rugby Council still needs to approve this for it to be rubber stamped? Which means this isnt fully over the line just yet.

"Forrest’s plans were considered by World Rugby’s executive committee on Wednesday who recommended approval to the World Rugby Council, subject to regulatory and governance criteria"
    It's good to see that the team from NZL looks like it will be a Mitre10 cup All Star side. That gives it heaps of credibility and Kiwis will really take to the concept. It's the All Black side of the mitre 10 cup...

Congrats to Forrest, Mindaroo and the team. Well done. Now let's see this get the final tick of approval from the World Rugby Council.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast