Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: World Series Rugby gets tick of approval from World Rugby Council

vCash
    If you consider that the model for WSR is private ownership then it is more likely a case of backers of Western Sydney approaching WSR rather than vv.

I can also understand the attraction if one looks beyond the first year and the expected growth of WSR as it gives and East Coast focus for the start-up during the period when SR goes through its death throes.

I personally don't mind either way.
    Initially it would be great if the Western Force is representing Australian interests in WSR.
    If Western Sydney was going to give chance for Tongans and Samoans and other PIs to get a chance in WSR that would have been good too.

However, it's good that Rugby Union is getting some support in Western Sydney.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I still refuse to believe that the Western Sydney WSR gambit was anything more than a throwaway threat to force RA to the bargaining table.

Twiggy's not stupid enough to actually try to generate a heartbeat in NSW rugby is he?
    There's also a part of me that's wondering if there was a possibility of it being the other way around? "Okay Twiggy, you want our sanctioning? You take care of Western Sydney for us; we can't be stuffed with it."

I can imagine RA saying "put your money into it" in a similar way they did to the old Newcastle ARC/NRC bid.

As a matter of fact, considering how long as lot of this is taking, and that WSR has had to be vague with potential franchisees because of it; I wonder if NZRugby also held them to ransom in the same way, so they could get Twiggy to fund a sixth pro-team in New Zealand.

I'm thinking both RA and NZR have veto powers at World Rugby level, so they could scupper any talk of WR funding the involvement of poorer PI/Asian unions.

Long term, I could see how they could interpret this as a threat to their powerbase; potentially without South Africa, there is no SANZAAR, so Australia and New Zealand could see themselves losing control of the game in Australasia to billionaire club-owners, if WSR becomes a roaring success.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by chibi; 08-10-18 at 15:07.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I still refuse to believe that the Western Sydney WSR gambit was anything more than a throwaway threat to force RA to the bargaining table.

Twiggy's not stupid enough to actually try to generate a heartbeat in NSW rugby, is he?
    I believe that Andrew Forrest is a Businessman.

He would be attempting to sell the TV Rights for the best money he can get.

And he would get better value by having "Content" that includes a Sydney side and a New Zealand side.

ALSO.

The word is that the Former President of the Penrith Emus Jim Moore reached out to Andrew Forrest in a last-minute bid to save the Emus prior to Sydney Rugby kicking them out of the Shute Shield.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7