Today at 7:30 AM The Rugby Championship
by Staff Writer

Marika Koroibete has his eyes firmly set on the Rugby World Cup after re-signing with Rugby Australia and the Melbourne Rebels through to the end of 2019.

Koroibete switched from rugby league at the end of 2016 and after a year learning the ropes at Super Rugby level, and in
Wallabies camps, the speedster made his Test debut against Argentina a year ago.

Since then he has scored five tries in 14 appearances and become a regular starting winger for Wallabies coach Michael Cheika.

The flying Fijian was recruited by Michael Cheika with an eye to the 2019 Rugby World Cup in Japan but coming off contract at the end of 2018, there was uncertainty about whether Koroibete would remain in Aussie rugby, return to league or take up big money offers overseas.

Koroibete has removed that doubt by inking a one-year contract and will push for World Cup selection.

“It’s really good to sign for one more year with the Melbourne Rebels and Rugby Australia. I’m already looking forward to it as I’m really loving my rugby at the moment," he said.

“Everyone helped me so much after moving from rugby league but there’s still a lot of things I need to work on. At the moment I just want to be more consistent.

“It’s a massive year next year, we have a couple of new signings and I really want to do well at the Rebels and try play consistent rugby.

“Then hopefully go from there, get picked for the World Cup. It really would be a dream come true."

Rebels coach Dave Wessels said the club was keen to see him go to the next level.

“Marika has been an outstanding member of our club and community since he became a Rebel and we are very proud of what he has achieved," he said.

"At the same time, we want to help him to achieve even more. Marika is already a world-class winger and he has a key role to play in educating our emerging players.

"There is no doubt he is going to be a key part of our quest for a Super Rugby title in 2019.”

Koroibete is expected to be in the Wallabies starting side to meet Argentina when Michael Cheika names his side on Thursday.

https://www.rugby.com.au/news/2018/0...ibete-re-signs