Today at 8:00 AM The Rugby Championship
by Sam Phillips

The Reds have staved off interest from other Super Rugby clubs to secure Izack Rodda's services until the end of 2020.

The 10 Test lock is considered a future captain of the club and putting pen to paper on a fresh deal is a big tick for a club desperate to clear out of the Super Rugby cellar in 2019.

"I’m very excited to re-sign for the two more years and I’m really looking forward to sticking in with the Reds and the Wallabies," Rodda said.

"The Reds gave me my first crack and my first contract. I was one year out of school and I haven’t really looked back since.

"It’s an unreal program that’s been growing each year and now that Thorny is the boss, it’s just going in the right direction as a club and all the players want to be there to keep growing that great vibe."

The signing is also a significant coup for the Wallabies, as Rodda has become a major part of coach Michael Cheika's plans for the 2019 World Cup.

He has started in the second row for all six Australian Tests this season and his combination with star lock Adam Coleman can only continue to grow moving forward.

"Honestly, if you had asked me three years ago where I would be, I wouldn’t have said here with the Wallabies," Rodda said.

"It’s come very fast but I have loved every moment of it.

"In saying that, I still need to work very hard to keep my spot.

"There’s a lot of competition in my position coming through both the Reds and the Wallabies so it’s going to keep me on my toes."

Now that his future has been secured, Rodda only has one goal in mind.

"I want to try get in the World Cup squad then cement a spot in the 23, and hopefully win a World Cup."

https://www.rugby.com.au/news/2018/0...rodda-re-signs