Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: World Series Rugby set for NSW expansion

vCash
    I’m not understanding the reasoning behind the possibility of Quade at the Rebels...the comment fron TWAS “Surely Cooper will be a similar or less cost than Horwitz. The Rebels had to make a decent offer to entice Horwitz from the Waratahs to the Rebels. And of Cooper’s salary, if the Reds have to pay half the Super Rugby component, that only leaves around $150k.” Why do the Reds still have to keep paying half his salary if he goes to the Rebels?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valzc View Post
    Why do the Reds still have to keep paying half his salary if he goes to the Rebels?
    They don't have to.

But the alternative is, if they can't unload him somewhere, that they have to pay ALL of his salary for another year. They don't want that.

vCash
    Good to hear Brett Gossage's comments on so many different issues.

His comments specific to World Series Rugby (around 10:30 mark) as follows:

"Generally WR's position is if someone wants to put $s into the sport and it doesn't upset negatively the current ecosystem and governance in the sport then we'd encourage that.

I mean, if someone comes along with a cheque book and wants to develop the game in areas in particular where we need that development - and I'm thinking across parts of Asia which Mr Forrest has in mind and so on - then that's of interest to us.

Of course if you're basing yourself, or coming out of markets such as Australia, then he's got to be very careful that he doesn't upset the current competition, the current economic models, current agreements, that are in place.

But I'd hope, and I'm confident, that we can reconcile any of those differences and do the right thing for the sport globally."

Looks pretty good for WSR if viewed from the vantage point that Rugby Australia has turned its back on WA (with an annual contribution now smaller that NT or SA) and has shown little interest in expanding into Western Sydney.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Player
    vCash
    Andrewg,

Agree your sentiments wholeheartedly! But never dismissed RA and its supporters driving motivations of selfishness, insecurity, small-mindedness, pettiness, small penis syndrome, not invented here, I'll lose my significance if ..., it's all about the Shute Shield, Moore Park is the Middle Kingdom, Melbourne is the sport Mecca of the World, let's make Australian Rugby great again by shrinking to greatness. Never underestimate idiocy in power. over to you Clown!!!

vCash
    The biggest elephant in the room when talking about additional RWC hosts is the £125 million bid fee. France were able to go over that as a guarantee which Ireland and SA couldn't compete with. The other is the farcical host recommendation where people assumed that SA would be a shoe in to host the 2023 RWC when in reality as it should be down to votes, not box ticking by so called 'independent reviewers.'

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

Champion
    vCash
    I flicked over from rugby to AFL on Roar for once in my life.
    Found this great piece.
    https://www.theroar.com.au/2018/09/2...oid-fairytale/

Just change a few words, like AFL to rugby, West Coast Eagles to Western Force, Melbourne to Sydney, Vic to NSW and we could use it when the Force go on to glory and shove it up the east.

vCash
    Good to see more people join the Roar to put the boot in to the RA over the Rabble.

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    Wonder how the meetings of WR are going in Sydney - hope we get some news soon about WSR!

Champion
    vCash
    Wonder how the meetings of WR are going in Sydney - hope we get some news soon about WSR!
    When I saw your post under that heading, I clicked on it immediately thinking you had a newsflash scoop for us.

I did take the fact that Western Force started their 2019 membership campaign yesterday as a positive sign that we are close to some real news.

vCash
    Dunno, I've heard that they've had a few hiccups concerning new franchises besides the ones we've been speculating about from Fiji and Asia. Looks like the Asians and Fiji are on board, but there is some suspicion from the Eastern seaboard establishment and even some reluctance from the Polynesian Island nations.

I think it might take one good WSR season next year to fully establish a reputation as a sports organisation, before others start to jump on board.

I suppose it's fair enough, sport isn't exactly the same as business, as lots of other entrepreneurs have found out. There's a bit more of the old "well, we do things this way" going on in that world.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chibi View Post
    Dunno, I've heard that they've had a few hiccups concerning new franchises besides the ones we've been speculating about from Fiji and Asia. Looks like the Asians and Fiji are on board, but there is some suspicion from the Eastern seaboard establishment and even some reluctance from the Polynesian Island nations.

I think it might take one good WSR season next year to fully establish a reputation as a sports organisation, before others start to jump on board.

I suppose it's fair enough, sport isn't exactly the same as business, as lots of other entrepreneurs have found out. There's a bit more of the old "well, we do things this way" going on in that world.
    The "eastern seaboard establishment" are not going to be playing in WSR, other than possibly Western Sydney, who have put their hand up after also being already kicked out of the eastern seaboard establishment. If WSR are blocked by the establishment out of what can only be spite, then they should revert back to the Asian rugby countries who voterd to endorse Twiggy's comp. And Fiji.
    https://www.rugby.com.au/news/2017/1...ia-endorsement

vCash
    but there is some suspicion from the Eastern seaboard establishment and even some reluctance from the Polynesian Island nations.
    Nothing new there. The Shute Shield trying to remain shut and the Samoans have no money, the IRB aren't happy with how that joint is being run. Every time Samoa go on tour they cry out about being bankrupt yet the IRB state that isn't the case. They probably want more pie to throw away.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JSJ View Post
    The "eastern seaboard establishment" are not going to be playing in WSR, other than possibly Western Sydney, who have put their hand up after also being already kicked out of the eastern seaboard establishment. If WSR are blocked by the establishment out of what can only be spite, then they should revert back to the Asian rugby countries who voterd to endorse Twiggy's comp. And Fiji.
    https://www.rugby.com.au/news/2017/1...ia-endorsement
    When I say "eastern seaboard establishment" I'm talking about other potential franchise areas that have been spoken to about entering the competition, as well as Samoa and Tonga. They are cautious about the whole thing right now, being between a rock and a hard place concerning whether if they join Twiggy, they'll be considered rebels too. And the scuttlebutt from them is that they would rather not be kicked out of Rugby Australia if it came down to that. Because of the way they've been approached (apparently a lack of details in the early stages) they are worried this might degenerate into an "Us vs Them" scenario where Twiggy "revenge raids" the Australian player ranks in attempt to destroy the Brisbane and Sydney premierships and the NRC. So I can understand where all the anti-Twiggy hoopla is coming from; whether any of it is true or not, I have no idea.

Personally, I don't think any involvement from the rest of Australia or New Zealand is necessary at all, I also agree this should be an Asian-based league. I think we should be the sole Australasian team in it.

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chibi View Post
    When I say "eastern seaboard establishment" I'm talking about other potential franchise areas that have been spoken to about entering the competition, as well as Samoa and Tonga. They are cautious about the whole thing right now, being between a rock and a hard place concerning whether if they join Twiggy, they'll be considered rebels too. And the scuttlebutt from them is that they would rather not be kicked out of Rugby Australia if it came down to that. Because of the way they've been approached (apparently a lack of details in the early stages) they are worried this might degenerate into an "Us vs Them" scenario where Twiggy "revenge raids" the Australian player ranks in attempt to destroy the Brisbane and Sydney premierships and the NRC. So I can understand where all the anti-Twiggy hoopla is coming from; whether any of it is true or not, I have no idea.

Personally, I don't think any involvement from the rest of Australia or New Zealand is necessary at all, I also agree this should be an Asian-based league. I think we should be the sole Australasian team in it.
    That sounds like a lot of scaremongering that they are falling for from the usual source. How could you be seriously scared of being kicked by the RA while they have never included you in the first instance?

The lack details is spin from the RA that has been used to stall the competition and Twiggy has had to waste time working around their 50 odd juvenile conditions.

The NRC is irrelevant WSR is a Feb - May comp that is not going to remotely clash with it and the NSWRU and SRU establishment have excluded them anyway.

Sydney and Brisbane comps are also irrelevant and protectionism. It also a restraint of trade preventing players from earning a living. They won't win that against Twiggy. The squad is unlikely to be filled with players from there anyway.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakkies View Post
    Sydney and Brisbane comps are also irrelevant and protectionism. It also a restraint of trade preventing players from earning a living. They won't win that against Twiggy. The squad is unlikely to be filled with players from there anyway.
    While it may be protectionism, it's still theirs, and people want to keep what they have; which is what we are fighting to do here in Western Australia. While we fight to keep pro-rugby and rugby alive; they are trying to keep their old clubs, rivalries and competitions alive. Remember, these guys believe that it was their competitions which gave Australia it's success from the late 70s to early 2000s, so they want to see that structure retained and boosted. I think they're wrong though, I believe our success mainly came from how many state schools used to play the game back then, plus how we used to concentrate talent at the top level, but I'm digressing.

How could you be seriously scared of being kicked by the RA while they have never included you in the first instance?
    Well, one must remember, that any of the cities involved are part of a union (in this case certain country unions) who are then part of a state country union, a State union and then RA. If they get branded rebels, then they'll be out of local club and regional competition, lose their sanctioning and insurance. Even if they are neglected, they still have and affiliation that can be taken away, along with all those "benefits," minimal though they may be. Unfortunately, as we all know, (even though I don't like it) RA are recognised as the official body by the town, city, regional, country and State unions, the clubs and World Rugby; so they hold a lot of the cards. Just something we have to put up with, shitty though it is, people have a tendency to stick with what they know.

That sounds like a lot of scaremongering that they are falling for from the usual source.

The lack details is spin from the RA that has been used to stall the competition and Twiggy has had to waste time working around their 50 odd juvenile conditions.
    Well this is the clincher for me, and it's what I'm most worried about. I mean this very seriously too, I do worry about this. Is this just scaremongering coming from the top-down; or is there some truth to it, coming from the bottom up? I could see how the latter might well be true, seeing as the RA are most likely playing dirty in the background, Twiggy would be stuck not being able to fully flesh out the details to prospective franchisees. I can see how those outside of the RA headquarters would have no idea of RA's machinations and see Twiggy's group as naïve, or slipshod or even worse, as scam-artists. What happens when the people involved have actually relayed these thoughts themselves? (Which has happened) Is it still top-down propaganda and spin? These may well be things we have to consider; I can see this as the possibility of a genuine revolution in the governing of the game here, maybe others can see it too. Personally though, I dunno why Twiggy's bothered with the rest of the country- unless of course, the revolution actually is at hand.

Last edited by chibi; 27-09-18 at 12:03.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast