Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: So have you thought about where your allegiances lie?

vCash

So have you thought about where your allegiances lie?

I went to a rugby game on the week end. Our local - supposedly deleted team - was playing one of the non-deleted teams. It was significant as the opposition had a bunch of previously deleted players back on home soil.

Because the weather was inclement, we got there early to make sure we had a dry spot to watch that evenings drama unfold. The big screens around the stadium were showing a live feed of a test match where a touring Ireland team was taking on a team representing the body responsible for our deletion. I found my self supporting the plucky Irish. They were really making a game of it. My buddies and I were chatting about this among our selves.

This was when a bloke standing in the row in front of us turned around and took me to task. When he ask why I was supporting Ireland in this game I explained that our national body had left a very bad taste in my mouth and my interest in the national side, one I use to be incredibly proud of - had ebbed.

"Aww you poor thing. Get over it you fucken dick head" was his reply.

I'm never offended by people displaying their character so effectively. So I just shrugged and went back to watching the big screen.

"If you're not supporting Australia you may as Well support the Melbourne Rebels as well ya' dick head".

Scoring a straw man and an ad hominem attack so close together did make me feel sort of special. But after I was a dick head a few more times, we got bored of him and moved. Which was actually a good idea as we found our selves in a better spot for viewing the big screen.

The next morning I found my self pondering this "dick head" thing. Where exactly did my allegiance lie? coming up with an order of importance was actually pretty easy when I gave it some thought. At the top of the list is rugby. The game I fell in love with in my late 20s. A died in the rusty iron, West Aussie AFL fan, running off with a sexier girl. If you respect the game of rugby and play it well? I like you.

Go Ireland..

Next is my state and it's deleted home team. They may not have a league to play in any more. But I'm still totally behind them. I even know the names of the players they went and found to replace the deleted ones! I wear my Blue, gold and black jumper and membership badge proudly.

Then - and only then - does Australia get a look in. I use to be so proud of the blokes who wear the gold jumpers and represent our nation. Now my feelings to them can only be described as hollow. I'm also pretty sure that Australian rugby will never be all that it could, while it is being administered the way it has been for the last decade or so. So how does it even deserve my support at the moment? I'm much more blue than gold right now.

But I feel I owe my angry detractor some thanks. Without his prodding I may have not actually taken the time to analyze my feelings about my home state vs my country.

..and don't ask me about GST share.

7 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    cheers auss...
    fabricarti diem punc

vCash
    Excellent post! Sums up (very eloquently) exactly how I feel right now too.

And looking at that gold team that the ARU is so proud of, where would it be without Pocock, Adam Coleman and DHP; all of whom were taken in by WA when no-one else would look at them.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Apprentice
    vCash
    Several years ago I questioned where my allegiances should lie between Scotland (where I was born and bred) and Australia (where I have chosen to live for many years now). So I sat down in front of a Scotland Australia match, at some ungodly hour, deliberately contemplating who I was going to support. (I should point out that this match was long before Australia became Scotland’s bunnies!). Early in the match, the Scotland backs sliced through the Australian defence, and I woke the house with my cheering. My decision was made, but I realised that it wasn’t a conscious decision made, it was more a “you know what is right in your gut” emotional response.

So Australia remained my number 2 team. Until last year. Now my gut tells me that they are in the same league as England, so I’ll support anyone who plays against them. I can’t help it....

(And the guy in front of you was the real dickhead....).

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    Very well put! I see a lot of positive stories about the wallabies and super rugby this morning! Wow one win and we are bringing home the Bledisloe and Super Rugby is great again!! Looks like RA public relations strategy working at last. Say nothing until they win a match! 😡

vCash
    I have had the exact same ‘gut’ experience as you Gordy. As an English-born Australian I tried to make my head rule my heart by going all out to support the Wallabies. But in the end my heart won out as I had so many wonderful memories of supporting England rugby since my Uni days. The events of last year simply sealed the deal forever.

The east coast powers-that-be can (and will!!) crow all they like about the Wallabies’ win at the weekend and about how getting rid of the Force has stregthened SR, but a house built without solid foundations is a fool’s paradise. And that’s exactly what Australian rugby is right now.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    I would have said it to him 'it takes a dickhead to know a dickhead right!,

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Will your allegiances change if and when a Western Force WSR player is picked for the Wallabies? If not, what will it take or is that all too late.

I am proudly Australian born and bred and although those idiots have done us wrong that is no fault of the players, Rebels or Wallabies, sure it would great to have them suffer because of what the hierarchy did, but like I'll keep supporting the Force, I too will keep supporting the Wallabies. I don't want to start sounding like a Kiwi that has lived in Oz for most of their life watching the Wallabies play anyone but the AB's and starts cheering for the opposition.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    I still have a spot in my heart for the Wallabies as our National team. But, until there is a massive overhaul with Rugby Australia, I will not be purchasing any new gear or tickets to games. There will be no financial investment on my part.

8 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Believe in the best, think your best, study your best, have a goal for your best, never be satisfied with less than your best, try your best, and in the long run things will turn out for the best."

vCash
    I'm caught somewhere between Alison and TIF... ... haha

Whats getting my anti-Wallaby gander up is Cheikas pro Waratahs mindset with selections, and embarrassing behavior. I would otherwise certainly support the Wallabies whilst despising the ARU (now RA). This will be the case until that organisation is rebuilt from the ground up. And no, they will not get any of my money until that happens.

Because the Wallabies is OUR team, its not the Warratahs and its not the ARUs

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I am Australian, but I've walked away from them because that is what you do with a textbook abusive relationship. How many of these ring a bell...

RESTRICTING FREEDOMS:
    Tells you that you can not do something
    Jealous about who you see
    Does not allow you to leave the house
    Makes it difficult for you to get a job
    Tries to prevent you from contacting family
    Alienates you from family and friends
    Turns children against you
    Withholds affection to punish you
    Tries to turn people against you

ECONOMIC ABUSE
    Makes you account for all the money spent
    Keeps you short of money
    Makes you ask for basic necessities
    Undermines your attempts to improve your education
    Undermines your attempts to get or keep a job
    Controls the money
    Makes you ask for money
    Refuses to give you money
    Makes all major decisions about money without consulting you
    Spends money only on things they want

PRIVILEGE
    Demands obedience like you were a servant
    Makes decisions without your input
    Treats you like you were inferior
    Tells you you can't cope without them
    Treats you like a child

PSYCHOLOGICAL ABUSE
    Blames you for his/her problems
    etc, etc.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    I am Australian, but I've walked away from them because that is what you do with a textbook abusive relationship.etc......
    That's a really good point. It is an abusive relationship.

I still dig most of the players. It's not about them.

..and yes. When Australian rugby represents all of us again I will go back to cheering for it.

cheers auss...
    fabricarti diem punc

vCash
    My current attitude is ambivalence. I was at the game early to secure a dry (ish) seat in the southern stand and found myself watching a dominant Scotch side putting Wesley to task. there was a brave fight back in the second half, and without the luxury of a handy scoreboard I couldn't tell you what the final score was but Scotch certainly looked dominant for much of the game.

As for the dross on the big screens, I paid scant attention, usually during breaks in play on the pitch.

I can imagine that this will continue long after RA pick WSR players in their side, because I'm dirty with the organisation that the Wallabies represent, not with the players. I don't know whether a change in leadership and attitude from RA will ever cause me to follow the Wallabies again I'm pretty sure that I will never reach the levels of rabid passion that I have had in the past.

I was a bit surprised at how quickly i gave Richard Hardwick a spray after his cheap shot in the in-goal after Harry's try, I guess that makes me a little fickle, but I don't think I care too much. Philosophically I can understand his decision to continue playing professional rugby, but I get a little upset when he has to be a dick about it.

C'mon the

vCash
    1.Force
    2.England
    3.Ireland

vCash
    Now were is Tas these days! Always admired the zealousness with which he supported the Force.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Apprentice
    vCash
    For me, it's now:

1. Force
    2. ABs & all Kiwi franchises, mostly Canes (coz they all always entertain me with their skills more than any other teams on the planet)
    3. England (born & bred there)
    4. Scotland & Wales (both entertain currently)
    5. Boks at times (they 'can' entertain, but often don't!)
    6. Frogs (as per '5' above)
    7. Ireland (efficient, but not overly entertaining, especially the No.10, though outside backs add a spark)
    999. All of RA's eastern states teams now, including the 'national' one (they all used to be 'quite' high up my list, but never above '5')

p.s. I tested my mood at the weekend, for the first half of the Irish game, just to find out how I felt.... I felt sick (& the game was crap), & ever more angry that RA have made me feel this way - a way I've never felt before about sport (likely that'll NEVER recover or ever be trusted again, coz the east will likely never care about the West).

It's no coincidence that Enemy starts with an 'E' - secession's looking good!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast