Page 19 of 36 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 29 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Alan Jones thread

vCash
    Given that both Alan Jones and Wayne Smith are both writing for the same paper do you think there will be any involvement from TheAustralian over Wayne Smith's little dummy spit and subsequent rebuttal by Jones. I dont think I've witnessed something like this before in the same newspaper.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SPaRTAN View Post
    Given that both Alan Jones and Wayne Smith are both writing for the same paper do you think there will be any involvement from TheAustralian over Wayne Smith's little dummy spit and subsequent rebuttal by Jones. I dont think I've witnessed something like this before in the same newspaper.

I doubt it given that Jones isn't there as a journalist and he isn't interested in the price of tents. Might be a different story if he was.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    The punters have spoken to Rugby Australia: Lift your game
    ALAN JONES
    RADIO BROADCASTER

1 MINUTE AGO OCTOBER 25, 2018
    NO COMMENTS
    The reaction to the columns I have been writing, and in particular last week’s, has been, by any reckoning, extraordinary.

Last week, when I wrote about the rugby tent being barred and no trespassers allowed, Russell wrote: “This story is a great analysis of the woes of the state of rugby in Australia. The game is run by people who are the Old Boys’ Club and you’ll have so much trouble in trying to remove them. They have created, as AJ has said, a closed tent, with little prospect of any outsider gaining entry. It will have to get so much worse before the supporters of rugby revolt and demand change. What is so galling is that across the ditch there is a model worth analysing and adopting.”

Calvin said: “I am not Alan Jones’s biggest fan, but he keeps nailing it in these articles. Regardless of your thoughts of him or the various issues he points out, it is absolutely clear the game is at a crossroads. It is stuffed at the moment and may fall off the cliff. Look at attendances. No one’s going to games, Tests included. Anyone on the board of Rugby Australia who thinks it is all rosy needs to get their head out of the sand. There are huge systemic issues that need to be addressed and heeding some of the calls Alan is presenting would be a start.”

Interestingly, I wrote to Rugby Australia CEO Raelene Castle about the “critical state of rugby in this country” on October 18.

I have no acknowledegment of the communication.

I read recently where Andrew Hore, who is the boss of NSW Rugby, said there would not be a World Series Rugby team in western Sydney in 2019.

So I wrote to Andrew Forrest, saying: “I know you were looking to establish a team for a competition involving the Western Force and sides from several other countries like Tonga, Samoa, Fiji and Japan. Hore says there will not be a World Series team there next year. Has any of this been discussed with you? He says that Forrest was aware of the Union’s view.”

Forrest replied: “It is rubbish. They are doing their absolute best to stop it. We are still very keen and I want to see it happen. Blokes like this are standing directly in the road of having ourselves and our supporters in western Sydney grow the entire national game. ”

Another supporter writes: “So much cronyism. What a disgrace. Who do these people think they are? Thank goodness you are there to expose it all. There is probably a whole lot more going on behind the scenes. Did you get much reaction to your previous article about the NSW Rugby Union and Queensland Rugby Union asking questions of Rugby Australia? Hopefully, more people are gathering to support you … it is not an easy job, but it is worthwhile. Things have to change. There are plenty of genuine grassroots rugby people who want to make rugby in Australia great again.”

All of that being said, in the wake of what I wrote last week, we had Rugby Australia chairman Cameron Clyne (there’s a Trivial Pursuit question: did anyone know his name until I just mentioned it?) playing down the intended scrutiny of Michael Cheika, when a week ago Castle was trying to look assertive by briefing the media that Cheika would have to tap-dance to the board and explain his win/loss record for 2018.

By all means run the ruler over the performance of the coach. But who is running the ruler over the performance in the past 12 months of the chairman and the CEO?

According to the much-publicised “Australian Rugby Strategic Plan”, Rugby Australia listed the following targets for itself:

To grow participation across all forms of the game to 350,000 by 2020.

This will be a spectacular failure, even if you ignore the Roy Morgan statistics that claim that rugby participation numbers have dropped 63 per cent since 2001.

If we are to ignore the Roy Morgan data, then we should probably also ignore the official Rugby Australia data, which says we have 274,000 participants playing the game.

Perhaps the only numbers that are solid are those from Sport Australia and they are saying we have 199,000 participants.

The bottom line for Clyne and Castle is that we are therefore 151,000 short of their own targets.

How do you explain the failure to grow the game? It cannot help that rugby in Western Australia and western Sydney has been completely abandoned. Andrew Forrest, ignored.

Have an average 100,000 viewers for every Super Rugby match played in Australia.

Again, we are staring down the barrel of failure.

On March 10 this year, when the rugby public should have been chomping at the bit to watch the Reds v Brumbies match, only 46,000 viewers tuned in.

That’s below half the viewers Rugby Australia targeted for that particular match.

Over the course of the season, the numbers remained limp at best. To put it into perspective, a recent Roy Morgan report revealed that 1.2 million Kiwis watched Super Rugby in New Zealand. That is almost 35 per cent of the population.

In Australia, not even 1 per cent of the population is tuning in to watch Super Rugby. In any evaluation, this must be considered another diabolical failure.

The Wallabies to be ranked as Australia’s most recognised *national team brand.

How you measure this, I have no idea. But you would have to think the Wallaby brand is suffering due to the poor decisions made by the board of Rugby Australia.

Perhaps one way to measure the brand would be to look at jersey sales and jersey pricing.

A quick glimpse at Rugby Australia’s own online store suggests the Wallaby brand is struggling.

When the price of a traditional men’s replica Wallaby jersey is slashed by 30 per cent from $154.99 to $108.49, it is not a great reflection on the brand.

To have women in 30 per cent of board positions, senior management and regular staff roles.

So forget meritocracy and ability. This goal essentially says we do not care about picking the best people, we are going to use a quota system to select those who run the game. It is reverse discrimination if you happen to be a talented bloke with a passion for our game. Talk about political correctness gone mad.

How can you expect to be competitive if you don’t reward the most talented people, regardless of sex, race and belief?

In New Zealand, there are nine board members — eight of them are men. I would say New Zealand Rugby know something about winning and being the best.

If the best person came from Mars, you can bet New Zealand Rugby would appoint them.

They must laugh at us when they see Rugby Australia choosing political correctness over ability and effectiveness.

The appointment of Castle is easily the biggest mistake Rugby Australia has ever made.

Obviously her appointment was political, apparently to meet some target set by a misdirected board.

The issue is not about Castle being a man or a woman. Gender should have nothing to do with it.

The fact is, she doesn’t know anything about the game and it would be impossible to nominate a single thing that she has achieved since she has been appointed.

A couple of weeks ago, she seemed to be agitating to throw Cheika under a bus. She will have her hands full taking on the coach.

Of course the coach should be answerable, but how can you be answerable to people who do not have sufficient knowledge to be able to evaluate the success or otherwise of those on whom they sit in judgment? And Cheika has a contract until after the World Cup. So unless we have the money to pay him out, get out of the way and let him do the job. Stop grandstanding and pretending you have the nous or the leverage to take him on.

So while Rugby Australia is probably hitting its quota on this affirmative action rhetoric, it hardly seems a win for our game.

I have a tip for the underperforming board and executive of Rugby Australia. Forget the grandstanding and public berating of Cheika and start throwing in a few KPIs towards your own job.

The end-of-season report would suggest you have plenty of work to do on driving participation, growing viewership and building the Wallaby brand.

The only thing you are scoring well on is being politically correct.

But unfortunately that may well be impacting the multitude of failures in other key areas of the so-called Strategic Plan.

Post script: perhaps the best metaphor of the problem lies in the fact that the Wallabies are playing the All Blacks tomorrow. Does anyone know where or when?

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    Alan the misogynist is back this week. Women play and watch rugby too you know Alan. And, shock horror, they are actually very knowledable about the game and how it should be governed.

It’s not Castle’s fault that rugby in Australia is so far up shit creek. She inherited a total and utter mess created by her two male predecessors - O’Neill and Pulver - and facilitated by the male chairperson - Camoron Clyne.

Get into the 21st century please Alan.

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    Alan the misogynist is back this week. Women play and watch rugby too you know Alan. And, shock horror, they are actually very knowledable about the game and how it should be governed.

It’s not Castle’s fault that rugby in Australia is so far up shit creek. She inherited a total and utter mess created by her two male predecessors - O’Neill and Pulver - and facilitated by the male chairperson - Camoron Clyne.

Get into the 21st century please Alan.
    To be fair she is displaying traits of the two Chairmen she has worked under Dib and Uncle Cam, thick and obstructionalist.

vCash
    I would rate RAs performance at 75%

The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sittingbison View Post

You need to put a minus in front of the 7.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakkies View Post
    You need to put a minus in front of the 7.
    Or a full stop after it haha after all that's what bankers are good at....relocating the decimal point

vCash
    Is 30% employment reflective of female participation?

vCash
    30% employment? Not sure what you mean. And what does it have to do with participation?

vCash
    I think he is referring to board representation. The real target should be the nominations committee. Alan Jones was supportive of a female candidate from WA who has a strong sporting administration background. They're the type of people that you want on a board. She nominated but couldn't get past the Sydney Uni/Buildcorp cabal.

Neither could Bill Young according to Jeremy Paul he has been trying to get on to the board for years.

There are plenty of strong candidates out there without appointing the likes of Sherry.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    I'm not having a go Ali, and I despise what RA have done to our game as much as most of do, but let's compare some apple with apples. RA actually have 50% of the Board as female and to meet the target of 30% would only need 2 to be female, so they are well above target, yet Netball Australia only have 22.2% men of the board, I guess they do not have the same gender equalisation targets that Rugby Australia does? I know there are plenty of men that play and watch netball too. I wonder when those misandrists will get into the 21st Century, or it is just male dominated sports where this gender equalisation goals are set? To me it reeks of racial quotas in South Africa which should have no place in anywhere today IMHO.

Don't get me wrong I think the way Allan handled the Opera House debacle was misogynistic and disgraceful, but in this instance I think his point is that despite appointing a female to the role in an effort to meet gender equality targets, someone who was also a very qualified and experienced sports administrator, she has failed to change anything that was destined for change regardless who the CEO was (ie the growing numbers of women playing rugby, the inning Women's Seven's team was responsible for that, SuperW only came about because Buildcorp co-founder and Australian Women's Rugby president, Josephine Sukkar withdrew from sponsoring NRC and held RA to ransom, and they needed the money). No matter what way you look at it, she has failed. I truly initially had high hopes for her too, but she has not done anything but be dragged around to the same tune of the same old boys club, and to me that has not achieved or done anything to progress gender equality, despite how it appears on a list, you need to be able to make a difference. I'm sure that a very very high percentage of women in the private sector who have been able to progress to senior positions that were in the past never conceivable in previous centuries, have been able to make a real difference despite still being a minority, but Raelene I'm afraid has not, and that is the point. Misogynistic and racist are unfortunately the easy excuses in the PC days we now live in.

Rugby Australia Board of Directors
    Raelene Castle, CEO
    Cameron Clyne, Chairman
    Dr Brett Robinson, Deputy Chairman
    Pip Marlow, Director
    Mr Paul McLean, Dircetor
    Ann Sherry, Director

Netball Australia Board of Directors:
    Kate Palmer, CEO
    Paolina Hunt, Chair
    Robert Shaw, President
    Wendy Archer AM, Director
    Cheryl McCormack, Director
    Glenn Russell, Director
    Karen Stocks, Director
    Marcia Ella-Duncan, Director
    Susan Comerford, Director

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sittingbison View Post

performance at what?

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueandblack View Post
    performance at what?
    Maybe this:
    Name:  Punch-and-Judy-442648.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  64.6 KB

vCash
    Oh I don’t disagree with you TIF.

I think boards and indeed all positions in any organisation should be filled on merit and merit only. If that means all members on a particular board are male, I am happy with that SO LONG AS the selection really is merit based and only merit based. That’s the caveat that is very difficult to meet. I hate the idea of quotas because it can easily give out the message that a woman or a person of colour or a person from any other underrepresented group ‘only got the job because of the quota’. It’s insulting and demeaning. But how else do you try and deal with unconscious (and conscious) bias on selection panels when those panels are made up of human beings?

In Alan’s piece he seems to make the link that because Raelene is female she can’t possibly know enough about rugby to be the CEO of RA. That’s the bit I find mysoginistic and the bit I wanted to call him out on.

He also seems to think that the CEO of RA (male or female) has to have been heavily involved in rugby for years to qualify for the job. That’s a separate issue, I know, but I have to say I disagree with that as well. In my opinion, CEO’s need leadership, managerial, stakeholder engagement, communication and negotiation skills far more than they need skills and experience in the product their organisation makes or supplies - they have other people beneath and around them to advise and make recommendations on those things.

Anyway, back to rugby...

Page 19 of 36 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 29 ... LastLast