Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Alan Jones thread

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    Except they are all out of the same source. RA is only the product of NSWRU and the QRU, and still lives at home with mum. More than anything else, the Shute Shield and it's delusions led to RA and the state of rugby in Australia. They are anything but separate, as much as they might now wish to distance themselves from the problem.
    Well maybe they ought to do what Soccer Australia (ASA) did when they gutted the organisation and reformed it under Football Federation Australia (FFA) . It is what the code actually needs, prolonging the inevitable is like waterboarding the code endlessly causing an ugly downward spiral in popularity and interest with Rugby falling further and further down the heirachy of sporting codes in Australia. It needs to end and evasive action needs to happen, starting with the axeing of Clyne and his fellow board.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Perhaps, but it would have to be done by a body outside the system. If done internal to Australian rugby, the likelihood is that it would only wind up with with the same or worse. And if done externally, I can't see them signing up to it unless they literally had no other option (and perhaps not even then).

vCash
    Except Soccer Australia agreed...can't remember why maybe they were broke? The Glory were winning so the ES would not have been happy lol

The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

vCash
    FIFA put the foot down and Soccer Australia had dodgy transfer dealings over Ned Zelic that went to court.

Sen Reynolds put the recommendations in for the ASC to follow up to ensure that best practice is followed. The 13 reviews have done nothing to address the governance failure.

I can guarentee that the Government response is being questioned as the RA have not followed their recommendations.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    Except they are all out of the same source. RA is only the product of NSWRU and the QRU, and still lives at home with mum. More than anything else, the Shute Shield and it's delusions led to RA and the state of rugby in Australia. They are anything but separate, as much as they might now wish to distance themselves from the problem.
    That's why Jake White pulled the Brumbies out of the Shute Shield and Brisbane comp. They were controlling Brumbies players after Super Rugby finished.

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakkies View Post
    That's why Jake White pulled the Brumbies out of the Shute Shield and Brisbane comp. They were controlling Brumbies players after Super Rugby finished.
    And the same reason why Michael Foley stopped the flow of WF players to the Shute Shield.

vCash
    Young rugby players are voting with their feet

The ones that got away: Billy Smith (far left), Nick Frost (top left), Angus Chrichton (top right), Kalyn Ponga (bottom left) and Charlie Rorke (bottom right)
    The ones that got away: Billy Smith (far left), Nick Frost (top left), Angus Chrichton (top right), Kalyn Ponga (bottom left) and Charlie Rorke (bottom right)

The Australian
    12:00AM June 22, 2018

SaveT

AShare on Facebook

BShare on Twitter

CShare on email

DShare more...

K38Comments

Alan Jones

Radio broadcaster

It was a more than interesting weekend on the international rugby front. The All Blacks were anything but impressive against a 14-strong French side. The decision to send off one of the French players mystified even the New Zealand supporters.

And, as I warned a couple of weeks ago, the dramas continue in South Africa for Eddie Jones.

England finished fifth in the Six Nations, their worst-ever result, and then were smashed by the Barbarians 63-45. They’ve now lost the first two Test matches to South Africa — six losses on the trot, England’s worst run since 2007. Eddie Jones is under siege.

Then, as I suggested, the *victory against Ireland by Australia in the first Test was most probably a false dawn. Ireland didn’t play their full-strength side and paid the price for taking the Australian team for granted.

Make no mistake about it, this Australian team are capable of striking. But they didn’t in Melbourne. Far too many mistakes. And there are real problems at the back of the lineout if we play without height.

Kurtley Beale was again, in the Melbourne Test, at his brilliant best. But the game, unfortunately, was riddled with errors.

To be competitive, above all else, we have to focus on this problem that is loosely called “turnovers”. I hate the word.

It is about surrendering the ball to the opposition. The ball is the bank. We surrendered the ball 12 times in the first Test. We *improved in the second — six.

But then we dropped off the tackles — 34 missed tackles in Melbourne, almost double that of Brisbane.

We can win the deciding Test tomorrow, but not if we concentrate our ball usage around the ruck. The more people on the ground, the less chance we’ve got. And that means maul ball should be preferred to ruck ball to drag in the opposition forwards and *release people such as Beale and Israel Folau.

But after Saturday, comes Sunday and it’s rugby league’s State of Origin.

Much has been made of Kalyn Ponga, his father a New Zealander, his mother an Australian. He makes his State of Origin debut.

The rugby league world are raving about him; rugby fans weep. He played rugby for Churchie in Brisbane.

The Queensland Reds wanted him. Why did he sign with North Queensland Cowboys?

I’ve written about this before. If we can’t keep our best young players, we’re in trouble.

In the NRL, South Sydney are being discussed as a real premiership chance. One of their stars, Angus Crichton, an outstanding rugby schoolboy, was abandoned by the hopeless schoolboy rugby system. The best schoolboy back since Ponga is Billy Smith from Scots College. He’s gone to the Sydney Roosters.

The brilliant Charlie Rorke, from Riverview College, has gone to the Canberra Raiders.

Nick Frost from Sydney’s Knox Grammar, the son of a prominent employee of Rugby Australia, has taken up a contract with the New Zealand Crusaders.

Young players are voting with their feet. And Rugby Australia CEO Raelene Castle, I’m sorry, has no knowledge and no ability to contribute to the solution of this problem. Which brings us to the grassroots of the game.

Remember, the Western Force were wound up and told their players would move into other franchises and thereby strengthen our Super Rugby teams. That hasn’t happened.

The money saved, we were told, would be spent on grassroots. That hasn’t happened.

Look at the 2017 annual report. Rugby Australia says it generated $150 million of income last year. Why did it spend only $3.7m on community rugby, when clearly the grassroots is the future of our game?

According to its own report, it spent $17m on corporate salaries, more than four times what it spent on grassroots rugby.

It spent $38m on Super Rugby, 10 times what it spent on grassroots rugby.

It spent $25m on player payments, more than six times what it spent on grassroots rugby.

It spent $8m on high performance and produced no high performance, but that’s more than twice what it spent on grassroots rugby.

It spent $4.3m on marketing, more than what it spent on grassroots rugby.

And if you believe it own participation numbers from 2017, it says 271,922 people played rugby in Australia last season.

If you share the $3.7m among these grassroots participants, it works out at $13 per grassroots player — the same grassroots players who have to pay a registration fee that includes a $50 kickback to the parent body, Rugby Australia.

Can it get any worse?

And though I’ve been writing about this for months, nothing has been done to address any of these issues.

Members of the board run around telling everyone that rugby is in good shape. But the grassroots player gives Rugby Australia $50 and Rugby Australia spends, in return, $13 per player on grassroots.

It’s no wonder those in club rugby are fed up, because club rugby is doing a terrific job against the odds. Suburban rugby is strong against the odds. No thanks to Rugby Australia.

The former CEO, Bill Pulver, once said he wouldn’t give the clubs any money because they would “piss it up against the wall”.

Well, to those in club land, it’s Rugby Australia that is pissing away the future of our great game.

The AFL has set aside $253m for investment in its grassroots and community game this year. That’s about 70 times what rugby spent last year.

Perhaps that’s why the AFL has 1.5 million participants, almost six times the number that play rugby.

Which begs the question, why didn’t the board of Rugby Australia headhunt a CEO from the AFL instead of recruiting a former failed rugby league CEO who knows nothing about the game?

If our game is to survive, we don’t have to look very far to learn how to grow the game. Have a look at what the AFL is doing.

Its participation numbers are up by more than 10 per cent and it is pumping resources into the grassroots.

Go to any major rugby nursery, a school, where I used to coach, and where once we saw rugby goalposts everywhere, there are now AFL posts and soccer goals.

When you consider all of this, can someone on the board of Rugby Australia explain how Cameron Clyne, who’s supposed to be the chairman, can turn away Andrew Forrest, when he was promising to pump $50m into Australian rugby.

Why would the chairman of an almost-broke organisation turn away a potential saviour and *investment whale such as Andrew Forrest?

Forrest is still seeking answers, as are we all.

But, as usual, those sitting in their leather chairs in the brand new Rugby Australia headquarters are saying nothing. They are hoping it will go away and they can continue to enjoy their five-star hotel trips to Europe every November with the Wallabies.

How these people can get away with these perks while the grassroots game gets next to nothing is beyond explanation.

Which brings us back to one of the central problems — the judgment of those in charge.

What flawed judgment dissolved the Western Force? What flawed judgment showed Forrest the door? What flawed judgment persists with an unworkable and unaffordable SANZAAR model?

And what flawed judgment could contemplate bringing Eddie Jones back into Australian rugby, as was being floated only weeks ago.

The last time Jones coached for an Australian team, he was “coaching” the Queensland Reds, if you use the word loosely. It was May 2007.

Queensland were beaten by the Bulls in South Africa 92-3, which remains a record-winning margin in Super Rugby.

Yet only weeks ago, Rod Kafer, supposed to be the head of coaches when he’s barely coached himself, wants to bring Jones back after the World Cup next year.

It may seem unkind, but it has to be said, Kafer doesn’t know a thing about developing successful coaches.

But in another appalling exercise in judgment, he’s the apparent saviour of Australian coaching.

What’s to be done?

Well, try four things immediately.

Headhunt a CEO from the AFL with a proven track record for growing a football code.

Get rid of Clyne and replace him as chairman with someone who can make peace with Forrest. And Clyne should take the rest of the board with him. If the standards of the corporate world were to prevail in Rugby Australia, they’d all be sacked by the shareholders.

Sign up someone, and there are plenty of excellent candidates, to mentor our young rugby coaches, including our rookie Super Rugby coaches.

And find the money to spend on the grassroots if we are dedicated to making sure the game has a future.

The tragedy is, time is running out. It’s five minutes to midnight. Crowds are down, revenue is down, the public’s faith in the blazer brigade has evaporated.

Or do we wait until the rugby house has burnt down completely before we start the job of necessary repair?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Godamn it, I'm struggling to find something to disagree with

Champion
    vCash
    Great article!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sittingbison View Post
    Godamn it, I'm struggling to find something to disagree with
    Agreed. But, not unusually, he's very selective with the truth about the Mungos "pinching all our juniors". Lots of Rugby people are. But Jones himself is a dual code Rugby man. He coached Balmain in the NRL from 1991-1993, without the same level of success he enjoyed in the 15 man version. That, to me at least makes his claims pretty misleading. He has enough ammo against Rat's Arse without the need for bullshit.

Kalyn Ponga - who incidentally was born in Port Hedland where his Dad played RL for the Hawks, I believe - played many junior sports but mainly League. He was signed to a scholarship by Central Queensland Rugby league at just 13. Then to the Bronx on a scholarship at 15 from the Mackay High RL Academy and moved to Brisbane where they sent him to Churchie - and he learned Rugby. If you have never seen this kid play you should watch Origin on Sunday. He is a superstar. Dead Set!! In just his 3rd NRL season @ 20yo, I'm a little nervous he could come from the bench and bust the game open, and I reckon Freddy Fittler feels the same.

You'll also see Angus Crichton in a blue jersey. Another stolen junior - except he played junior League in Young for the Cherry Pickers before getting a scholarship to Scots and playing RU - at the same time as playing in the Roosters junior rep teams.

Charlie Rorke is a product of Gordon RUFC - and Berowra Junior RLFC.

The path taken by these young fellas is pretty common in the East. It's why quite a few folks around here support both games too. Present company included. So cut the crap AJ.

Over to you GIGS.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post

You'll also see Angus Crichton in a blue jersey. Another stolen junior - except he played junior League in Young for the Cherry Pickers before getting a scholarship to Scots and playing RU - at the same time as playing in the Roosters junior rep teams.
    This fella had half his left ring finger amputated at the start of this year so he could keep playing instead of missing a season (or most of) to give it time to heal.

Bloody Mungos

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    This fella had half his left ring finger amputated at the start of this year
    Saw him talking about that recently. Said the only problem he has is when he's had a feed and comes up with an air swing if it was finger lickin' good.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Jeez Shasta....don't let the truth get in the way of a good story

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Agreed. But, not unusually, he's very selective with the truth about the Mungos "pinching all our juniors". Lots of Rugby people are. But Jones himself is a dual code Rugby man. He coached Balmain in the NRL from 1991-1993, without the same level of success he enjoyed in the 15 man version. That, to me at least makes his claims pretty misleading. He has enough ammo against Rat's Arse without the need for bullshit.

Kalyn Ponga - who incidentally was born in Port Hedland where his Dad played RL for the Hawks, I believe - played many junior sports but mainly League. He was signed to a scholarship by Central Queensland Rugby league at just 13. Then to the Bronx on a scholarship at 15 from the Mackay High RL Academy and moved to Brisbane where they sent him to Churchie - and he learned Rugby. If you have never seen this kid play you should watch Origin on Sunday. He is a superstar. Dead Set!! In just his 3rd NRL season @ 20yo, I'm a little nervous he could come from the bench and bust the game open, and I reckon Freddy Fittler feels the same.

Charlie Rorke is a product of Gordon RUFC - and Berowra Junior RLFC.

The path taken by these young fellas is pretty common in the East. It's why quite a few folks around here support both games too. Present company included. So cut the crap AJ.

Over to you GIGS.
    Alan and yourself failed to mention that Rorke is the son of former Gordon President and ARU board member Hayden Rorke. He specifically named Rorke and Frost as they are sons of high up ARU officials. Funny that the Brumbies managed to prevent players from signing to NRL clubs or NZ Rugby by restarting their Academy. Laurie Fisher pushed for this after his time at Munster and Gloucester. Gloucester get a string of their talent from Hartpury College. The answers are there for the RA, Alan and state unions they just need to find and pursue them.

Chrichton was approached by the Tahs but presented him with a development plan that made no sense. He was going to just play club Rugby then Michael Maguire the then Souths coach provided him with an offer. Maguire went to the same school in Canberra as the Fainga'a twins, Matt Giteau, Matt Henjak and George Gregan. First XV players of my vintage from that school were encouraged to play league. Thankfully Giteau and Henjak the son and nephew of former NSWRL players were encouraged to play Rugby by local club officials.

Local development was destroyed by John O'Neill who destroyed the academies, schools pathways, under 20s and funding for development officers in favour of professionalising club Rugby with money they didn't have. The Brumbies were an easy target for the Sydney press for failing to bring through local players. They failed to mention that local players went to Sydney to play club Rugby, signed contracts to other states or went overseas and the Waratahs had numerous players from Qld, ACT, PIs and NZ.

Some clubs nearly went out of business and they are still doing the development work as the RA give sweet fa to the state unions for development officers all the money has gone to the Rebels, payouts, lawyers, consultants, junkets and an overbloated head office. The RA remind me of the public service no wonder the ALP who love throwing money away, bureaucrats and over bloated APS protected by their Public Sector Union mates opposed the Senate Inquiry. That's why Canberra is a Labour town as they are safer in their jobs under the ALP.

Twiggy's plans for grassroots is not going unnoticed in the east by the clubs from the mail I have as they know the status quo from head office is not working under the RA and Super Rugby.

Last edited by Bakkies; 23-06-18 at 04:48.

Apprentice
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewg View Post
    And the same reason why Michael Foley stopped the flow of WF players to the Shute Shield.
    Michael Who?

Oh the guy who created the divide between WF and community rugby? That guy?

Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast