Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9

Thread: Brumbies warned members the Super Rugby club could fold if crowds continue to fall

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SPaRTAN View Post
    Its also a pretty terrible attendance, however of all the teams the brumbies do have the smallest population centre but I would atleast have expected 15k + , the Tahs and Reds should avg about 35k given their population sizes and the popularity of rugby in those states. The rebels should be pulling 25k each game, again given their size.
    It was probably the only match they bothered to promote. It also clashed with local junior and senior league as there is a lot of crossover and kids play both sports.

There was an initiative earlier on in the year the Raiders and Brumbies played on the same weekend so if you had a Brumbies ticket you could get in to the Raiders for free and vice versa. There has been similar initiatives in the past with GWS. Teams coexist in Canberra.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wholetruth View Post
    Exactly. And having been to Canberra Stadium on many occasions I know what you are saying. Getting there was bad enough - getting away - forget it. I couldn't get a taxi for love nor money either, probably because of all the drunks standing outside trying to get one.
    we got the free coach from the city centre to the game.
    after the match there was about 100 buses waiting to take people away, they filled them up one by one and off we went, easy.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    cider my arse

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakkies View Post
    Attendance was 9,500
    Hi Bakkies,
    I do not take any joy from the problems of the Brumbies and low crowd attendances. They were the team I supported before the Force came along.
    There are many factors for the fall in crowds, but one in my mind is that the Brumbies in their first 10 years from 1995 invented that style of fast moving continous multi-phase try scoring rugby, which was actually labled "Brumbies rugby" at the time.

Somewhere the Brumbies lost their way and and focused more on rolling mauls from lineouts, pushover scrums, penalties etc. Meanwhile some of Kiwi sides and the Lions had adopted and improved on that fast moving"Brumby rugby" that the crowds love.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    In the context of this season, I think 9500 isn't a bad crowd for canberr

C'mon the

vCash
    Just spoken to a mate who was at Rebels/Jags game

He said it was the worst event he has ever been to (let alone sport game), total disinterest from the crowd and players, freezing cold, and he said more like 500 than 5000 attending, so I would round up to 3000 at best

The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JSJ View Post
    Hi Bakkies,
    I do not take any joy from the problems of the Brumbies and low crowd attendances. They were the team I supported before the Force came along.
    There are many factors for the fall in crowds, but one in my mind is that the Brumbies in their first 10 years from 1995 invented that style of fast moving continous multi-phase try scoring rugby, which was actually labled "Brumbies rugby" at the time.

Somewhere the Brumbies lost their way and and focused more on rolling mauls from lineouts, pushover scrums, penalties etc. Meanwhile some of Kiwi sides and the Lions had adopted and improved on that fast moving"Brumby rugby" that the crowds love.
    A few reasons

- Super Rugby got tighter up front. The Bulls won three titles with a strong set piece and maul
    - The backs didn't have the ability, skills and decision making to play that way
    - Poor coaching that saw the team go side to side. The forwards got sick of the backs dropping the ball

The Brumbies have decided to donate the money to the charities regardless. It has given the charities good PR that could drive other donations.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakkies View Post

The Brumbies have decided to donate the money to the charities regardless. It has given the charities good PR that could drive other donations.
    Was that ever in doubt?

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JSJ View Post
    Hi Bakkies,

Let's not forget those "refereeing directives" brought in at the behest of the English in the late 90s, the so-called "anti-Brumbies laws" which slowed down release from rucks, allowed defenders to disrupt possession from the side because "it's out!" and tweaked the obstruction law so that everything became "a crossing obstruction" when it came to decoys.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9