Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Brumbies warned members the Super Rugby club could fold if crowds continue to fall

vCash
    Never understood why that Barbarians game couldn't have been the last game in Hong Kong on the way home, the old "Final Challenge" as it were

Speaking of the Barbars, was surprised a little bit, that they weren't one of the teams Twiggy got for the WSR this year. Probably still pissed off about their Australian treatment last year.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    That wouldn't have prepared them for the test series and less players would have been available for the Barbarians as it goes in to pre season. The Lions and Garland had an issue with the RA not providing enough tough lead up matches It also gave the Lions an opportunity to look at prospective players. Elliot Daly and Jared Payne toured four years later.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakkies View Post
    That wouldn't have prepared them for the test series and less players would have been available for the Barbarians as it goes in to pre season. The Lions and Garland had an issue with the RA not providing enough tough lead up matches It also gave the Lions an opportunity to look at prospective players. Elliot Daly and Jared Payne toured four years later.
    Yeah they played Argentina in Cardiff to kick off the Kiwi tour in 05 too. The game was a draw against a very weak Argentinian side. It seems like the super rugby warm ups arent enough despite the fact the Lions management always seem to complain about the tour having too many games?!?!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SPaRTAN View Post
    Yeah they played Argentina in Cardiff to kick off the Kiwi tour in 05 too. The game was a draw against a very weak Argentinian side. It seems like the super rugby warm ups arent enough despite the fact the Lions management always seem to complain about the tour having too many games?!?!
    It is the English clubs that complain about too many tour games.

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Apparently the Brumbies have refused to rest Bam Bam et al

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Champion
    vCash
    Michael Thomson talks about the demise

http://www.2cc.net.au/podcasts/10671...sunwolves.html

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    Apparently the Brumbies have refused to rest Bam Bam et al
    Good on em, welcome to WSR Dan McKellar. Brumbies won't last the end of the current broadcast agreement.

Still not happy with the spread of timezones though, perhaps Twiggy could start working towards a pacific/central Australia conference?

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Good on em, welcome to WSR Dan McKellar. Brumbies won't last the end of the current broadcast agreement.

Still not happy with the spread of timezones though, perhaps Twiggy could start working towards a pacific/central Australia conference?
    I'm not sure I'd be happy with playing Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore, etc while the Brumbies play Samoa, Tonga & Fiji!

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash

No conference teams please.
    Anything east of WA falls perfectly for our timezone. Early games for us which are afternoon/ night games for them

vCash
    No conference teams please. Anything east of WA falls perfectly for our timezone. Early games for us which are afternoon/ night games for them
    Each to his own. I like the concept, because it's easy to get eyes on the scheduled games. 2 hours isn't a problem, coz most rugby broadcasts can fit into that window, but more than that will start to be problematic. Remember, he's not marketing this to the likes of us, who will stay up till 0100 to watch our team

C'mon the

vCash
    Each to his own. I like the concept, because it's easy to get eyes on the scheduled games. 2 hours isn't a problem, coz most rugby broadcasts can fit into that window, but more than that will start to be problematic. Remember, he's not marketing this to the likes of us, who will stay up till 0100 to watch our team
    What I meant was the games broadcast on the east coast fit in perfectly with the timing over here on the West coast. If you were to include teams from ACT/QLD or even NZL etc then when they play their night games or late afternoon games. For us its a lunch time or afternoon game which is perfect for us to watch, not so for the east coast though because they dont have any lunch time rugby to watch, considering all this I dont think conferences are neccesary and i think it will take away some of the Glamour given that there is only going to be 6-8 teams for now anyway.

vCash
    Does anyone think the Brumbies will actually get an attendance of 15k, especially against the Sunwolves of all teams? I just cannot see the get anywhere close to that, they should be really concerned that this may be there all time lowest crowd.

On a positive note they will have a star studded side take the field with Pocock et all, but I don't think it will be enough to bring back any extra fans.

$15k honestly doesn't seem like that much to donate either. I doubt that incentive will do that much, i am sure people in Mosman have donated far more in the past.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Does anyone think the Brumbies will actually get an attendance of 15k, especially against the Sunwolves of all teams? I just cannot see the get anywhere close to that, they should be really concerned that this may be there all time lowest crowd.
    15,000 might be doubtful but I think they'll exceed the low attendance mark.

• Team coming off a win against the Bulls in the republic helps.
    • RA trying to bully them over resting players. Raises Canberran ire and awareness.
    • Charity promotion. Raises awareness, sympathy factor.

vCash
    Some nice volleys in this article.

Saturday Serve: Perception is reality in Cheika's Brumbies cull
    By David Polkinghorne
    1 June 2018 — 6:05pm
    Share on Facebook
    Share on Twitter
    Send via Email
    Normal text sizeLarger text sizeVery large text size
    Perception is reality. And the perception is that Michael Cheika is picking on the ACT Brumbies.

So much so he'd be spewing about the NSW government's decision to ban culling brumbies in the Kosciuszko National Park.

While we're reverse-bashing Canberra bashers, was there a hint of anti-ACTarianism in Canberra Raiders young gun Nick Cotric's non-selection for the NSW Blues?

It feels like Wallabies coach Michael Cheika is targeting the Brumbies.
    It feels like Wallabies coach Michael Cheika is targeting the Brumbies.

Photo: Peter Rae
    Not a blatant bias, more a subconscious one where the fact the 19-year-old doesn't play for a Sydney or Brisbane club meant he wasn't given the credit of some of the other young stars set to make their State of Origin debuts at the MCG on Wednesday night.

It's too easy to overlook little ol' unfashionable Canberra - unless you want to push them around as your Super Rugby whipping boy.

The latest chapter in Cheika's reverse-love affair with Australia's capital is his request for the Brumbies to rest three of their Wallabies stars - David Pocock, Scott Sio and Allan Alaalatoa - from their crucial clash against the Japan Sunwolves on Sunday.

Of the 32 players Cheika announced in his Wallabies squad on Wednesday night they're the only three he wants to rest.

No NSW Waratahs. No Queensland Reds. No Melbourne Rebels. Just three Brumbies. And clearly three of their best.

"Hang on!" I hear you cry, "What about Will Genia?"

Yeah sure, the Rebels scrumhalf won't play against the Auckland Blues at Eden Park on Saturday.

Unlike the Brumbies, those wonderfully patriotic Melburnians have agreed to rest Genia. An injured Genia who might not have played anyway.

A remarkable sacrifice indeed.

At best, Cheika's request highlights rugby union's desire to make itself extinct in this part of the world.

No need for any of the rival codes to chip in, rugby's got this covered.

RELATED ARTICLE
    'It was unfair to drag players into the Wallabies debate': McKellar
    BRUMBIES
    Add to shortlist
    Following last year's extremely ugly and ridiculously convoluted charade that still hasn't succeeded in killing off the Western Force, now the Wallabies coach wants the Brumbies to leave out arguably their three best players right at a time when rugby needs all of its stars shining in the spotlight.

It's also right at a time when the Brumbies need all of their stars as they stare their own potential extinction in the face.

Canberra Stadium crowds have been dropping off faster than Australian Super Rugby teams.

The Brumbies need all hands on deck for what appears an increasingly vain attempt to get 15,000 through the turnstiles to watch them take on the horse-flesh eating Sunwolves at Canberra Stadium.

If they pass that mark, then they'll donate $15,000 to charity.

But alas, rugby shoots itself in the foot again. Or should that be hoof?

You can just picture AFL and NRL supremos Gil McLachlan and Todd Greenberg gleefully rubbing their hands together and divvying up the little battleground rugby has left while knocking back one of their respective code's brand of mid-strength beverage. Win, win.

It's not the first time Cheika's objectivity has been questioned in these pages.

The "Wallatahs" have become a reality that seems awfully close to the age-old cricket joke of NSW players getting their baggy green in a paper bag when they make their Sheffield Shield debut.

RELATED ARTICLE
    Brumbies and university of Canberra sign 30-year alliance agreement
    BRUMBIES
    Add to shortlist
    Scott Fardy. Matt Toomua. Nic White. Joe Tomane.

They've all left the Brumbies after slipping down the Wallaby pecking order during Cheika's reign.

Ironically, Australia now has a massive hole at blindside flanker - a hole the big, bearded figure of Fardy would fit perfectly.

Especially after a stunning debut season with Irish club Leinster saw the powerful No.6 make the final five for the European player of the year.

He might've been handy in the fight against the Irish, set to begin in the first Test at Suncorp Stadium next Saturday.

Meanwhile down in Melbourne, Cotric has been loving his first Origin camp, starting off as 19th man in Blues coach Brad Fittler's first NSW team.

He missed out on one of the wing spots, with Fittler opting for Josh Addo-Carr and Tom Trbojevic instead.

Many thought Cotric deserved the nod ahead of Trbojevic having burst onto the scene last season in round one and having played every Raiders game since.

Raiders coach Ricky Stuart, who played 14 Origins for NSW and coached the Blues in another nine, said Cotric was the best winger in the NRL.

The Tuggeranong junior is the complete modern-day winger - a deadly finisher in the corner, quick, powerful, great defence and a tireless work ethic when trucking the ball out of his own half.

RELATED ARTICLE
    Jack Wighton opens up on family in the midst of uncertain future
    RAIDERS
    Jack Wighton opens up on family in the midst of uncertain future
    Add to shortlist
    If he had've been showing off his wares under the bright Sydney lights, as your Trbojevics and your Nathan Clearys have, then it might be a different story - Cotric could've been dazzling the Origin stage just as Jarryd Hayne did in 2007.

I guess we'll just have to cross our fingers and wait for Origin II in three weeks' time.

But we don't have to wait to show Cheika what we think of his Canberra perception.

Brumbies coach Dan McKellar has taken a stand naming Pocock, Sio and Alaalatoa on Friday. Now you can stick it to the man by turning up on Sunday.

Oh oh an Alliance Agreement I don't think this one will end up in an assassination by Moore Park

By Chris Dutton
    1 June 2018 — 7:25pm
    Share on Facebook
    Share on Twitter
    Send via Email
    Normal text sizeLarger text sizeVery large text size
    The ACT Brumbies and University of Canberra started a battle that spilled into the court room, but the organisations have finally drawn a line under their troubles of the past to sign a 30-year alliance agreement.

But the five-year ordeal has failed to dampen the university's desire to have the best sporting links in Australia, vice-chancellor Deep Saini revealing UC's hopes of linking with Canberra's bid for Big Bash cricket team.

The Brumbies signed an initial deal with the university in 2013.
    The Brumbies signed an initial deal with the university in 2013.

Photo: Stuart Walmsley
    The Brumbies and the university took a major step forward in their long-term relationship on Friday, burying the ugly legal stoush of 2016 to finalise their joint-venture at Bruce.

The terms of the alliance agreement was one of the major contributors to a falling out between the organisations under different leadership two years ago.

Some of the details related to the flow of sponsorship dollars, the cost of maintaining a field for training, parking, electricity and the future of the organisations after the university, Brumbies and ACT government built a $15 million base for the Super Rugby club.

The terms have since been adjusted for both parties, who will co-exist on campus and share resources until at least 2043.

"It's been a very rich relationship for us ... this is just a concrete step," Saini said.

"I wouldn't be signing [the agreement] if I wasn't optimistic [about the Brumbies future]. I've been optimistic from day one when I arrived in this country and the university two years ago.

"There was a lot of noise about the relationship between the Brumbies and UC at that point. As I've been saying consistently, it wasn't an issue between the Brumbies and University of Canberra.

"There was an issue between the Brumbies and one of their employees. Brumbies and UC have a good relationship.

RELATED ARTICLE
    BRUMBIES
    Add to shortlist
    "This is a 30-year relationship. There are complexities, we want to move forward on terms that are sustainable and keep both parties happy.

"There have been a number of tweaks [to the agreement], but nothing I would call a sea change."

Brumbies chief executive Michael Thomson added: "One of the great things about the whole process has been the collaboration between both organisations.

"There's certainly a strong common will to make this a success for both of us. That's why it's taken a bit of time."

RELATED ARTICLE
    Free sausage rolls at the Brumbies and the need for a game-day gimmick
    BRUMBIES
    Free sausage rolls at the Brumbies and the need for a game-day gimmick
    Add to shortlist
    The university owns the WNBL licence for the Canberra Capitals, runs women's rugby sevens team, has links to the Canberra United W-League team and has invested in state of the art tools, including an altitude chamber for athletes and a concussion test tool.

But Saini is also keen to get behind Canberra's push for a Big Bash team, and has spoken to the consortium driving the campaign for inclusion in the Twenty20 competition in the coming years.

"We remain optimistic the Brumbies will be one of the pillars of our university's strategy to be and remain as a top sport university in the country," Saini said.

"Sport is in the DNA of this university. We will certainly always be open to other relationships. We have interest in getting involved in cricket, for example, if the Big Bash was to ever come to this city.

"Any other opportunity ... aside from that, sports education and research is one of our key activities.

"We've had conversations [with the Big Bash team] and I am, and the university is, very supportive of the bid. I think it's time we had a Big Bash team in Canberra."

SUPER RUGBY ROUND 16

Sunday: ACT Brumbies v Japan Sunwolves at Canberra Stadium, 4.05pm. Tickets available from Ticketek. Fans will be allowed on to the field after the game.

* The Brumbies will donate $15,000 to charities if they reach their crowd target of 15,000. The money will be divided evenly between Lifeline Canberra, OzHarvest and Give me five for kids.

Brumbies: 15. Tom Banks, 14. Henry Speight, 13. Tevita Kuridrani, 12. Kyle Godwin, 11. Andy Muirhead, 10. Wharenui Hawera, 9. Joe Powell, 8. Isi Naisarani, 7. David Pocock, 6. Lachlan McCaffrey, 5. Sam Carter, 4. Blake Enever, 3. Allan Alaalatoa, 2. Connal McInerney, 1. Scott Sio. Reserves: 16. Robbie Abel/Les Leuluaialii-Makin, 17. Nic Mayhew, 18. Ben Alexander, 19. Richie Arnold, 20. Tom Cusack, 21. Matt Lucas, 22. Wharenui Hawera, 23. Andrew Smith.

Share on Facebook

vCash
    given that there is only going to be 6-8 teams for now anyway.
    I think that's a far better argument than the lunchtime games one. I have an innovative solution if you want a lunchtime game, but you're stuck with all your venues in the same time one PLAY THE FREAKING GAME AT LUNCHTIME! One of the big issues with a big spread in time zones is that there's a Loser. Even th 5-odd hours to NZ is an issue. Sure we get lunchtime footy out of their prime time, but what happens the other side of the coin, our 7:30 kick off hits 12:30. I just don't think that works for the casual observer and that's the audience twiggy is shooting for. 3 hours might survive if the product is good enough, but I'd vote for 2

C'mon the

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast