Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Brumbies warned members the Super Rugby club could fold if crowds continue to fall

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    still under the harbour bridge!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by slomo View Post
    Mudskipper where are you???????????
    Probably at GIO Stadium ATM.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Email sent to the Brumbies pushing to look further in to Twiggy's plans and follow through on them.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakkies View Post
    Email sent to the Brumbies pushing to look further in to Twiggy's plans and follow through on them.
    Post it here for us to read

vCash
    Dear Sir or Madam,

I am writing to you in response to the article in The Canberra Times published yesterday in regards to the Brumbies' viability. As a member of the Rugby community in the ACT it is deeply concerning to read that as we have seen in Western Australia the extreme consequences. The state body there went in to voluntary administration when the Force were wound up as they lost their main revenue stream to be able to meet their debts.

I believe now is time to look at the future options which include the competition that the team participates as the current status quo is not working. The marketing for Super Rugby currently is non existent which definitely wasn't the case in the Super 12/14 days, teams go weeks without a home match so they are away from their supporters for long periods of time (out of sight and mind), not enough give in regards to scheduling home matches and the competition itself doesn't generate enough revenue for its participants. The threat of South Africa pulling their teams out of Super Rugby is real so time now for the Brumbies to look at other opportunities which may revitalise the game in ACT and southern New South Wales. Forget about waiting for Rugby Australia they will just waste more time on consultants and reviews, the Brumbies can't sit around and wait.

I would suggest making a call to Andrew Forrest as early as next week as professional Rugby in Perth has a new lease of life in the last few months. They have control over fixture scheduling, marketing has gone up ten fold (definitely an issue here in Canberra), the team spends more time at home so they can get out to the Rugby community and he has invested in a program titled 'Rugby Roos' which is targeted towards children to encourage them to take up the sport at school or at their local club. Rugby Roos is also funded by Mindaroo which alleviates that pressure off the clubs, schools and state governing body and the Force players are assisting with the coaching. Getting the players involved in the coaching helps the children build a connection to them and also may encourage them to take up a coaching role when they retire from playing. The Force players in their contracts are required to do three hundred hours of community service a year.

The fans have come back to support the team in Perth and they have got it done in the space of a few months which wouldn't happen under the influence of Rugby Australia an organisation that needs a total overhaul which I will get to later. Rugby is getting a lot more coverage in various media streams in Perth which the game is lacking at the moment in other states.

Andrew Forrest's competition also has a focus towards Asia which I believe is where the Brumbies are now targeting anyway. It would make perfect sense given the sponsorship deals the team is looking at attracting and there are now international flights out of Canberra to Asia without having to go through Sydney.

Rugby Australia needs a total overhaul otherwise they will go out of business. The board and the current Chairman are major problems. They failed to be honest in regards to what was occurring behind closed doors while that happened players and supporters walked. It required a Senate Inquiry to be able to get some answers out to the Rugby public. The nominations committee that appoints the board and its Chairman have to go as we currently don't get a true representation of people on the board who have the game's interests at heart.

I have seen the annual report and the community Rugby allocation is nothing but a disgrace and this is while the governing body is still forking out far too much money towards the Melbourne Rebels. The outgoing CEO also took a pay out. For what? The Brumbies and the Force have been paid lip service since day one from the governing body so it is time to look elsewhere and the alternative is looking pretty good so far. We can't sit here and be laid to rot. The clubs via distribution from the local union are getting the smell of an oily rag from Rugby Australia. They are largely having to fund game development by themselves as the Brumbies get very little assistance from Rugby Australia. It is time to look at what Minderoo have to offer.

The vast majority of clubs don't have the resources that the likes of Tuggeranong and Queanbeyan have so it is very difficult to fund development from their budget.

There are some answers out there so I hope you pursue them for Rugby's sake in the ACT and southern New South Wales.

Regards

6 Not allowed! Not allowed!

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

Champion
    vCash
    Good one Bakkies

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Has to be said, they already know this from what was reported a couple of months ago however like most goings on in Aus Rugby the silence is deafening. The Sanzaar contractual obligations don't help to be fair to the Brumbies and other parties who are or should be looking at walking.

I wonder if something has changed about promoting the competition as the marketing was never this bad even as far back as the Reds title win their marketing campaign was excellent which led to them gaining more members than the Broncos. From reading Jaque Fourie's recent article he said the same thing is occurring in SA and their crowds have dropped at a rate of knots.

vCash
    Sanzaar contractual arrangements might include a brumbies team in the new broadcast deal to try and squeeze every cent they can out of fox, but that doesn't stop actru hooking up with wsr and treating super rugby as a reserves competition. Basically run each team using only the resources provided by the relevant governing body.

C'mon the

vCash
    Dear Sir or Madam,

I am writing to you in response to the article in The Canberra Times published yesterday in regards to the Brumbies' viability. As a member of the Rugby community in the ACT it is deeply concerning to read that as we have seen in Western Australia the extreme consequences. The state body there went in to voluntary administration when the Force were wound up as they lost their main revenue stream to be able to meet their debts.

I believe now is time to look at the future options which include the competition that the team participates as the current status quo is not working. The marketing for Super Rugby currently is non existent which definitely wasn't the case in the Super 12/14 days, teams go weeks without a home match so they are away from their supporters for long periods of time (out of sight and mind), not enough give in regards to scheduling home matches and the competition itself doesn't generate enough revenue for its participants. The threat of South Africa pulling their teams out of Super Rugby is real so time now for the Brumbies to look at other opportunities which may revitalise the game in ACT and southern New South Wales. Forget about waiting for Rugby Australia they will just waste more time on consultants and reviews, the Brumbies can't sit around and wait.

I would suggest making a call to Andrew Forrest as early as next week as professional Rugby in Perth has a new lease of life in the last few months. They have control over fixture scheduling, marketing has gone up ten fold (definitely an issue here in Canberra), the team spends more time at home so they can get out to the Rugby community and he has invested in a program titled 'Rugby Roos' which is targeted towards children to encourage them to take up the sport at school or at their local club. Rugby Roos is also funded by Mindaroo which alleviates that pressure off the clubs, schools and state governing body and the Force players are assisting with the coaching. Getting the players involved in the coaching helps the children build a connection to them and also may encourage them to take up a coaching role when they retire from playing. The Force players in their contracts are required to do three hundred hours of community service a year.

The fans have come back to support the team in Perth and they have got it done in the space of a few months which wouldn't happen under the influence of Rugby Australia an organisation that needs a total overhaul which I will get to later. Rugby is getting a lot more coverage in various media streams in Perth which the game is lacking at the moment in other states.

Andrew Forrest's competition also has a focus towards Asia which I believe is where the Brumbies are now targeting anyway. It would make perfect sense given the sponsorship deals the team is looking at attracting and there are now international flights out of Canberra to Asia without having to go through Sydney.

Rugby Australia needs a total overhaul otherwise they will go out of business. The board and the current Chairman are major problems. They failed to be honest in regards to what was occurring behind closed doors while that happened players and supporters walked. It required a Senate Inquiry to be able to get some answers out to the Rugby public. The nominations committee that appoints the board and its Chairman have to go as we currently don't get a true representation of people on the board who have the game's interests at heart.

I have seen the annual report and the community Rugby allocation is nothing but a disgrace and this is while the governing body is still forking out far too much money towards the Melbourne Rebels. The outgoing CEO also took a pay out. For what? The Brumbies and the Force have been paid lip service since day one from the governing body so it is time to look elsewhere and the alternative is looking pretty good so far. We can't sit here and be laid to rot. The clubs via distribution from the local union are getting the smell of an oily rag from Rugby Australia. They are largely having to fund game development by themselves as the Brumbies get very little assistance from Rugby Australia. It is time to look at what Minderoo have to offer.

The vast majority of clubs don't have the resources that the likes of Tuggeranong and Queanbeyan have so it is very difficult to fund development from their budget.

There are some answers out there so I hope you pursue them for Rugby's sake in the ACT and southern New South Wales.

Regards
    Excellent letter. Lets hope they give you the decency of a response, and when I mean a response I dont mean a two line automated statement..

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Bakkies, you've misspelled Minderoo as Mindaroo at least once in your letter.

That's a capital offence, according to the resident pedant here.

Get ready for some serious flack.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Sanzaar contractual arrangements might include a brumbies team in the new broadcast deal to try and squeeze every cent they can out of fox, but that doesn't stop actru hooking up with wsr and treating super rugby as a reserves competition. Basically run each team using only the resources provided by the relevant governing body.
    Might not be needed if SA walk.

Brumbies have been having issues with Sanzaar and the RA for years.
    - ACT officials stuck two fingers towards John O'Neill when he suggested the team should look at moving to Melbourne or Perth
    - Sanzaar have been ignoring Brumbies requests for suitable kick off times
    - In the early days of professionalism the ACt were represented by combined states on the board
    - Scheduling again particularly when it came to ANZAC Day
    - Community Rugby funding has been pathetic
    - Brumbies got the least in Super Rugby grants last year

Though the scheduling issues aren't as bad as what the Force endured SANZAAR didn't listen and the RA didn't fight for either side. I pointed out during the Senate Inquiry that the Brumbies had a lot in common with the Force. Issues with Sanzaar and no relationship with the RA. At the NRC final presentation last year you could tell there was tension between Michael Thomson the Brumbies CEO and de Clyne.

Being underfunded by the RA does come back to bite particularly when you get downturns in a competition which happens when you have been in it for a while. Like the Force the Brumbies existence is vital to the well being of the state union it is a crucial revenue stream for the union and its clubs. When people suggest that the Brumbies should merge with the Rabble I give them the John O'Neill treatment they couldn't be anymore different.

Champion
    vCash
    Has to be said, they already know this from what was reported a couple of months ago however like most goings on in Aus Rugby the silence is deafening. The Sanzaar contractual obligations don't help to be fair to the Brumbies and other parties who are or should be looking at walking.

I wonder if something has changed about promoting the competition as the marketing was never this bad even as far back as the Reds title win their marketing campaign was excellent which led to them gaining more members than the Broncos. From reading Jaque Fourie's recent article he said the same thing is occurring in SA and their crowds have dropped at a rate of knots.
    I have just returned from 2 weeks in South Africa. Things seem to have changed since I was last there 7 years ago. Super Rugby appears miles behind soccer in media attention these days. A comment I heard several times was " I have lost interest in Super Rugby" or similar.
    I was asked some questions about Twiggy and WSR, so it must have got media attention previously, but I did not see any while I was there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JSJ View Post
    I have just returned from 2 weeks in South Africa. Things seem to have changed since I was last there 7 years ago. Super Rugby appears miles behind soccer in media attention these days. A comment I heard several times was " I have lost interest in Super Rugby" or similar.
    I was asked some questions about Twiggy and WSR, so it must have got media attention previously, but I did not see any while I was there.
    We dont even have bledisloe advertisements anymore. Rugby just does nothing to advertise itself to anyone or anything. Its become a code of arrogance.

Apprentice
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    Meh. If the Force were still there, the only topic of conversation to distract from the whole situation would be how it was the real cause of the issues and still had to be cut. Probably well out of it all and long may it continue. Fuck 'em.
    On the nose, even if every game featuring an Australian team draws a crowd of less than 2, the ARFUP will say everything is great and going to plan, and thay have been vindicated. Leave them to it, they are all complicit in the demise of the Force, no-one stepped in xcept Forrest, forget Super XV, and carry along with what we are doing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Tuakana View Post
    On the nose, even if every game featuring an Australian team draws a crowd of less than 2, the ARFUP will say everything is great and going to plan, and thay have been vindicated. Leave them to it, they are all complicit in the demise of the Force, no-one stepped in xcept Forrest, forget Super XV, and carry along with what we are doing.
    Couldn't agree more. They were happy to have the Force led to the slaughter if it meant saving their own asses. What none of them could predict was Andrew Forrest's resilience and his vision to do what the fans are always talking about [to set up a competition in a local timezone]

The RA/ NSWRU/ QRU/ ACTRU/ MRRU are all complicit, they all conspired against us and did nothing. Even RUPA needs to take some accountability for the fiasco. The whole country turned on the Force to save their own skin and now the competition is crumbling they can only dream of coming onboard to WSR to escape the rot. Super Rugby is about as dead as a doormat. I'm with you guys, F%$k 'em

I would be sympathetic to the Brumbies though based on the information Bakkies has provided, but only them, plus wouldnt it be good to have Australias most successful team in WSR !

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast