Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Super Rugby Crowd Figures

vCash
    Kings 44 vs Rebels 3
    That was hilarious. Fainga'a was playing scrumhalf. Shades of Mauro Bergamasco.

Twiggy said months ago that he will look at salary cap's and equalisation later on.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakkies View Post
    That was hilarious. Fainga'a was playing scrumhalf. Shades of Mauro Bergamasco. Twiggy said months ago that he will look at salary cap's and equalisation later on.
    Yeah, I'd really like to know what the writer knows about the alleged lack of equalisation mechanism, because nothing has been announced. I guess he's just assuming that the competition will copy superficial rugby. Nothing else has copied that disaster, so I can't imagine that will either

C'mon the

Senior Player
    vCash
    I think Twiggy said something about each team allowing a different number of marquee players to help bolster their squad, like a team in Malaysia would probably need nearly a whole squad of international players where as a team from Fiji for example wont need that many marquee players, if any.

Apprentice
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
    I liked the article, but I thought this was quite funny.
    "Matches will be of varying quality and, with no overall mechanism to ensure equalisation, there is high potential for disparity between the top and bottom sides – as there would be in any fledgling competition."

Taking a look at the scores from 2017. Maybe it's not just fledgling competitions that are affected.
    Hurricanes 83 vs Sunwolves 17
    Hurricanes 71 vs Rebels 6
    Stormers 53 vs Cheetahs 10
    Crusaders 50 vs Sunwolves 3
    Kings 44 vs Rebels 3
    Hurricanes 61 vs Cheetahs 7
    Highlanders 55 vs Force 6
    Lions 54 vs Kings 10
    Lions 94 vs Sunwolves 7
    I have wiped that highlanders game from my memory. Never happened

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Heapsoffun View Post
    Yeah, I had to include the statistics to be fair. But the circumstances around that game weren't exactly fair.

vCash
    I read some interesting comments the other day about the declining super rugby crowds on stuff.co.nz and they mentioned that New Zealands fixation for 730pm night games in freezing cold winter weather has caused an entire generation of potential up and coming children fans to simply disengage and miss out on watching the sport whilst growing up simply because families in New Zealand are reluctant to take their young kids out to freezing night time games late at night in miserable weather. So basically rugbys fixation on prime time TV in NZL has ruined their future fan base. The same thing is happening in Australia so I really hope World Series Rugby doesn't follow super rugbys lead by trying to always appeal to prime time TV viewing slots. AFL is brilliant with their day time and afternoon, and even Sunday day games. This has definitely cemented their next generation by making the games appeal to families by starting them at family friendly times. I personally am not a fan of the 730pm beer drinking larikan Friday night games we seem to always get, those crowds are made up of stuff all families and even less kids, and those crowds also seem to be the ones declining in attendance numbers the most..

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SPaRTAN View Post
    I read some interesting comments the other day about the declining super rugby crowds on stuff.co.nz and they mentioned that New Zealands fixation for 730pm night games in freezing cold winter weather has caused an entire generation of potential up and coming children fans to simply disengage and miss out on watching the sport whilst growing up simply because families in New Zealand are reluctant to take their young kids out to freezing night time games late at night in miserable weather. So basically rugbys fixation on prime time TV in NZL has ruined their future fan base. The same thing is happening in Australia so I really hope World Series Rugby doesn't follow super rugbys lead by trying to always appeal to prime time TV viewing slots. AFL is brilliant with their day time and afternoon, and even Sunday day games. This has definitely cemented their next generation by making the games appeal to families by starting them at family friendly times. I personally am not a fan of the 730pm beer drinking larikan Friday night games we seem to always get, those crowds are made up of stuff all families and even less kids, and those crowds also seem to be the ones declining in attendance numbers the most..
    As a beer drinking larrikan with a family who came to the games I take complete and bipolar offense to the truth in those words 😁. The 4-5ish games were the best fun for the family. Personally 2pm games was a tad early to sit down and watch with a beer and still be functioning for the rest of the afternoon.

And to any comments about why I need to watch with a drink I answer with this;
    - kids and,
    - how else do you handle the Forces’ old habit of losing games after the final siren? Or throwing the game away in the final 20 mins.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Heapsoffun View Post
    I remember this Highlanders game, one of many worth remembering...

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    And this one at the house of "pain"

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    What about the one we won in Dunedin??? holding on with 13 players? Under Foles I'm guessing...

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    14,697 for Panasonic which brings the average WSR crowd to 14,906 (104,348/7)

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Comment by John O'Neill in SMH - Link to full article https://www.smh.com.au/business/comp...20-p4zyjm.html

Fixing rugby's problems
    O'Neill, now chairman of the $4.7 billion ASX listed Star Entertainment Group has a clear vision for what needs to be done to fix rugby's problems.

Former rugby boss John O’Neill.
    Former rugby boss John O’Neill.

Photo: Sahlan Hayes
    "The thing you can't hide from, the health and wellbeing of the game of rugby, it critically hinges on the Wallabies" he says. "The hard cold truth is what pays the bills is the Wallabies and the Super Rugby teams. They are the rainmakers and they haven’t been making any rain."

The changes O'Neill is now proposing to Super Rugby, a tournament he helped create, are radical. "We need to create a new competition, not just tweak the old one," he says. "Something exciting and innovative."

Super Rugby launched in 1996 with teams from Australia, New Zealand and South Africa. Since then it has been expanded, twice, and contracted once. It now includes teams from Argentina and Japan. In the last restructure, Perth's Western Force were kicked out.

That prompted billionaire mining magnate Andrew Twiggy Forrest to rally behind the spurned Perth team.

"I was not a great rugby tragic, I was just a supporter of rugby," Forrest recently told Fairfax Media.

"But when I saw kids weeping on television and kids weeping at games that they'd lost the side they hoped to play for, I thought 'oh I've got to step in here'."

He is now planning a breakaway competition to rival Super Rugby. It could bring together teams from Australia, Fiji, Hong Kong and Singapore.

"The leadership of rugby Australia should engage directly with Twiggy Forrest," says O'Neill. "Two sub-optimal competitions ... is not what rugby needs right now."

Super Rugby's popularity has waned sharply in recent years, with Australian fans put off by its confusing format and the fact many games are in the middle of the night. The competition is only broadcast by pay-TV group Foxtel which means only 30 per cent of Australians can watch it on regular basis.

RELATED ARTICLE
    'Wobbly Waiheke Wallabies': Wallabies under siege
    BLEDISLOE CUP
    'Wobbly Waiheke Wallabies': Wallabies under siege
    Add to shortlist
    O'Neill says Australia should walk away from Super Ruby, or remodel it so it only includes teams from a favourable time zone for Australian TV audiences. Which means kicking out South Africa.

Sources close to Rugby Australia suggest that wouldn't be sustainable financially, because South Africa provides most of the broadcast revenue in the existing deal.

O'Neill disagrees. "It's entirely viable," he says. "We went within a smidgen of doing it in 2009 ... but New Zealand blinked."

The revamped competition he is proposing should also have a free-to-air presence. And if New Zealand don't agree to sever ties with South Africa, then Australia should go it alone, he says. "The reality, is to compete with the AFL, NRL and A-League, we need prime-time content."

"And if New Zealand say we are not interested, then Twiggy becomes imperative".

vCash
    Blues in dire straits

New Zealand Rugby steps in to take large stake in the basement Blues

MARC HINTON

Last updated 20:28, August 31 2018

The Blues have been going up in smoke for most of the past decade.
    GETTY IMAGES
    The Blues have been going up in smoke for most of the past decade.

New Zealand Rugby has retaken the reins of the Blues in a bid to avert what they saw as a looming crisis, and are vowing to get the right people round the board table to fix the ailing franchise. It's understood former All Blacks coach John Hart is at the top of that list

New Zealand Rugby announced on Friday they had come to an agreement with the Blues' private equity investor, Bolton Equities Limited (BEL), to acquire back its 40 percent interest in the the franchise. The game's governing body will take over, on an interim basis, that stake in the Auckland-based Super Rugby club following an independent review of its governance structure.

The review concluded that the existing shareholding mix was unsustainable, and recommended that BEL sell its shares to NZR. New Zealand Rugby will now work with the provincial union shareholders to find a new group of investors.

New Zealand Rugby chief strategy and operations officer NIgel Cass told Stuff that the ailing franchise had reached a point where change had become a necessity. The review, headed by former cricket high-flyer Alan Isaac, confirmed that a fundamental governance remake was the only possible starting point.

READ MORE:
    * Crusaders CEO departs
    * Henwood avoids broken jaw
    * Highlanders sign outside back
    * Mauger: Hemopo will play lock

"For a Super Rugby club to succeed pretty well everything they do has to be exceptional. You can make the case that the Blues' governance was fairly average and that's just not going to cut it," said Cass. "You're not going to win if that's the case. Alan Isaac's review basically found the relationships around that board table weren't functioning at a level we needed them to work.

"Since we've had that review we've been talking to [BEL chief] Murray Bolton about acquiring his stake. Ultimately Murray wants the Blues to succeed. He is disappointed he won't be as involved as he has been but he agrees that things have to change so in that sense is comfortable that we're acquiring his stake."

Exacerbating the situation is that New Zealand Rugby some years back identified the greater Auckland region, with its bulging population, as a key strategic focus. Having a continuing under-performing Super Rugby side has not helped that cause at a time when playing numbers, both nationally and in the region, are less than buoyant.

Asked if New Zealand Rugby had been called in to retake control of the Blues as a result of the review, or if the review had been the first step in a deliberate process, Cass admitted it was "a bit of both".

"We clearly have not been happy with how the Blues have been going, and in that sense we initiated the review to provide some answers. And the review is very clear that the shareholding and governance structure, in terms of people who sit round the board table, had to change."

Ad Feedback

In terms of the people that will sit round the board table now, Cass confirmed three New Zealand Rugby appointees would be the next step to join the three provincial union directors (Kate Daly, Brian Wilsher and Shaun Nixon) and outgoing chair Tony Carter who has agreed to oversee the transition.

"We will be making announcements about those shortly, then we need to really make sure we've got the right people round that table to make the decisions this team needs to be able to win."

It's understood former All Blacks coach John Hart is being sought for the Blues board.
    ANDREW CORNAGA/PHOTOSPORT
    It's understood former All Blacks coach John Hart is being sought for the Blues board.

Stuff understands the respected Hart will be one of those NZR-appointed directors, and could even take the reins of the new board. The other names that have cropped up are Auckland-based NZR board member Richard Dellabarca and former MP and cabinet minister Sam Lotu-liga.

The recent appointments of Leon MacDonald and Tom Coventry to join Tana Umaga's coaching group have been widely considered positive steps for the franchise, but other issues remain, including the thorny one of retention and development of talent in the region.

Cass said the governance change was definitely a "good thing" for the under-performing franchise which is a perennial Kiwi conference wooden-spooner and has made the playoffs just once in the last decade.

"If you look at the Blues' off-field performance, they've done some good things. Look at where they're based [in a new facility in Epsom], and the suite of sponsors they have and a range of things in terms of how the business works. But ultimately their success will be judged by how well that team does in Super Rugby, and they haven't achieved what they need to.

Tom Coventry's appointment to Tana Umaga's coaching group has been widely viewed as a positive step for the club.
    PHIL WALTER/GETTY IMAGES
    Tom Coventry's appointment to Tana Umaga's coaching group has been widely viewed as a positive step for the club.

"From New Zealand Rugby's perspective you could argue we've got four teams going pretty well and we should be happy with that. But we're not. We need five teams going well. The Blues are critically important because they sit in the heart of our largest city. It's just not option for us to sit and wait for a crisis."

Bolton said whilst "we have been required to sell our shares, we will continue to be a strong advocate and supporter for the Blues".

- Stuff

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Easiest way to get a team ready for WSR, and simultaneously back to S12 in 2020...?

vCash
    Interesting that the NZRU think they need 5 teams going well, not four. Shame their Australian counterparts aren’t so clever. They think the key to success lies in branch stacking one province at the expense of destroying another and spending $6million on a player who isn’t even the best in his position.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast