Thread: World Series set for Japanese flavour as Western Force announce Panasonic Wild Knight

Champion
    vCash

World Series set for Japanese flavour as Western Force announce Panasonic Wild Knight

While RA wonders where their future lies we are steaming ahead.

Nick Taylor The West Australian
    Thursday, 24 May 2018 11:32AM

A Japanese side is almost certain to join an expanded World Series Rugby next year.
    Plans are under wraps but Force chief executive Nick Marvin gave a strong hint about the future when he confirmed the club will play powerful Japanese club Panasonic Wild Knights in their final game of this year’s tournament.

More here

https://thewest.com.au/sport/western...-ng-b88845932z

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Would have thought that, without Top League, JRU might be interested in putting a couple of teams in to give the extended squad some continuous play ahead of the RWC...

Champion
    vCash
    The 2018-19 season will run from Aug. 31 to Dec. 15 and take a year break with the 2019-2020 season to begin in January 2020 so there is plenty of opportunity for next year.

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Textile billionaire Mr. Feng Ha Huang will not be pleased to hear of Mr. Forrest stealing one of his teams ...

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut View Post
    Textile billionaire Mr. Feng Ha Huang will not be pleased to hear of Mr. Forrest stealing one of his teams ...
    Or another billionaire to open his wallet to help with the WSR.

vCash

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Twiggys biggest mistake.

It just occurred to me, following a day of maybe 10 new posts and feeling myself getting more cynical by the hour, that twiggy has made a massive error of judgement by allowing such a big gap in the exhibition series.

My attitude to rugby is slowly returning to what it was before the announcement of the games, and I feel the air is escaping just a bit.

Now I'm sure he didn't have any control over this, other teams do need to be available and all that, but I'm just starting to feel a bit flat.

Discuss

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Twiggys biggest mistake.

It just occurred to me, following a day of maybe 10 new posts and feeling myself getting more cynical by the hour, that twiggy has made a massive error of judgement by allowing such a big gap in the exhibition series.

My attitude to rugby is slowly returning to what it was before the announcement of the games, and I feel the air is escaping just a bit.

Now I'm sure he didn't have any control over this, other teams do need to be available and all that, but I'm just starting to feel a bit flat.

Discuss
    Probably needs its own thread to be fair but I do get what you mean. Those first two games were so exciting and there was so much anticipation but it feels everything has flatlined a bit.

Now a few things, and I may just be deaf, but Im not hearing any advertising for the Rebels game right now.. maybe its going to ramp up now we are a bit closer to the game, but geez wouldnt be wanting to leave it too late.

No games on but super rugby right now.. so no Force away games.. not Twiggys fault though, this whole stinking mess is all by Clyne and his cronies. Getting 7 games together at short notice is excellent but the gaps right now without having the Force on TV are hard to cope with. I am wondering whether these spacings are deliberate to mirror a possible WSR schedule to see how home fans cope with attendance with the 2-3 week gaps in games, one thing that is good is the cluster of two games in a row at home which will help hopefully build fan momentum. But its hard to gauge how the fans will truely react because there arent any away games being broadcast on TV like there are in other tournaments eg. Super rugby, to fill in the void when you dont play at home. Again not Andrew Forrests fault because you wouldnt just go organising 13 non tournament games around the world and in WA when its an exhibition series.

I am a little concerned about the Samoa WCQ game clash and the Samoa vs Force game, I believe they are scheduled very close and I wonder if its worth tagging that game in with one of the other clusters of games, could be a good opportunity to change its schedule.

Last edited by SPaRTAN; 28-05-18 at 20:10.

vCash
    Re the new thread thing, I was on my phone and being lazy.

I totally get that it isn't Minderoos fault, I think it's amazing just to have got 7 games together while dodging bricks from Clyne and his cronies, it would have been good to see an intra club trial or something though.

I'd probably turn out for a future force vs spirit match, wouldn't you?

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Re the new thread thing, I was on my phone and being lazy.

I totally get that it isn't Minderoos fault, I think it's amazing just to have got 7 games together while dodging bricks from Clyne and his cronies, it would have been good to see an intra club trial or something though.

I'd probably turn out for a future force vs spirit match, wouldn't you?
    To be perfectly honest with Junior Rugby/ a busy work schedule and a family I would struggle to get to a future Force vs spirit game. I would definitely watch it on TV but making the game would be difficult, if the schedule was good I might make it but I think all ky spare time devoted to Rugby will be used on just trying to make atleast 5 of the 7 games this year, would love to get to them all but it would be too difficult, especially seeing I live down Mandurah way.

vCash
    I think the issue is that the test window starts soon so teams may be reluctant to travel and throw in the uncertainty over the Rugby World Cup European qualifiers. The Sunwolves rested 14 so you are unlikely to get a Japanese Top League side down even for what would be a preseason match for them.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakkies View Post
    I think the issue is that the test window starts soon so teams may be reluctant to travel and throw in the uncertainty over the Rugby World Cup European qualifiers. The Sunwolves rested 14 so you are unlikely to get a Japanese Top League side down even for what would be a preseason match for them.
    Yeah good point it is a really odd period for scheduling due to it being between seasons for alot of comps and throw in the WCQ and it really does throw a spanner in the works. Im sure WSR next year will be scheduled as to not clash with the test window.

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SPaRTAN View Post
    Those first two games were so exciting and there was so much anticipation but it feels everything has flatlined a bit.
    I think what's missing are the away games. If there were games on TV (FTA - yay!) while there weren't any games being played in Perth then things might feel more normal. Hopefully that's the case, and next year things there won't be any feelings that nothing's happening. Speaking of next year..... it would be great to hear some more about how things are coming along to tide everyone over.

Player
    vCash
    Talking about clashes. I think one of the positive things is how WSR has tried to avoid clashing with other codes playing im WA so it becomes a stand alone match on the day- a good enticement for the general sports fan. It’s nice not to clash with eagles and Dockers home games.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chibi View Post
    Wow. Retro Asia Rock, casette ghetto blasters and VHS VCR's. Amazing what you can find on Youtube.

PS. That led me to do a little time wasting and I stumbled on this little gem with Rod Stewart and Ronnie Wood live. Sometines you can forget how many great songs are on an album when radio stations only ever play the main hit.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xlo1NvEdAw

Some other real goodies in the same gig too.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David