Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: World Series Rugby confirms revolutionary on-field changes

vCash

World Series Rugby confirms revolutionary on-field changes

https://www.westernforce.com.au/worl...field-changes/

World Series Rugby isn’t afraid to break the mould. In its first year, the new tournament will pioneer changes to the game to ensure spectators are entertained by fast, free-flowing, high-scoring rugby.

Announced in Perth on Tuesday, the changes to on-field play will be unique to World Series Rugby and visualised on the field to increase excitement.

World Series Rugby kicks off on May 4 with a clash between Western Force and Fiji Warriors at nib Stadium in Perth.

Western Force CEO Nick Marvin: What you will see in the World Series Rugby matches this year has the potential to revolutionise the way rugby is played, but it is only the beginning of how we are thinking about the future of this great game. All the feedback we are receiving – from diehard fans, players, officials and the wider community – is that something needs to change, and we are prepared to be the ones to lead the way.

Western Force head of elite performance Matt Hodgson: These changes will test the players and pump up the spectators in the stands. The Western Force team supports the changes and the sides coming to Perth to tackle the Force are keen to try this fast new style of play. This is what our game needs to retain supporters and thrive in the future.

Rugby legend David Campese: In Australia you can turn off and watch something else and we don’t want that. We want fans who love rugby and obviously, I am more passionate now than when I played because we have got the opportunity to do that [entertaining rugby]. In Western Australia this week, you have got Fiji, the national team, and it’s a big thing to have a competition. I think the rest of Australia has to look and see if the Force can play a style of rugby that, if it works, why can’t we play the same?

THE CHANGES

1. The Power Try– A Power Try is awarded when the play is initiated from within the try scoring team’s own 22m area and there is no break in continuity of possession by the scoring team.

However if possession changes or a penalty is awarded, then this breaks the sequence of possession for the try scoring team and normal 5 point try is earned if they score.

Coloured lights on the goal posts will alert fans to when a Power Try is “live”, “dead” or “scored”.

The Power Try play is live: green lights will run down the post

The Power Try play is dead: the green lights turn solid red

A Power Try is scored: the green lights will flash.

A Power Try offers a team the opportunity to score 9 points on conversion.

2. Rolling Subs – teams may make up to 12 player substitutions during the game, as opposed to the current 8 substitutions.

3. One-minute scrums – One minute from time of mark to completion. This puts the onus on players to keep the scrum up and encourages quick decision making to allow play to continue.

4. Faster Line Outs – lineouts will be taken as soon as the throwing team is ready – they do not have to wait for their opponent or the referee.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Believe in the best, think your best, study your best, have a goal for your best, never be satisfied with less than your best, try your best, and in the long run things will turn out for the best."

vCash
    yep this will keep the action happening - can't wait

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    truth triumphs

vCash
    So if a scrum collapses, or one side takes longer than a minute to get ready, what's the penalty? Free kick to the other side?

And with line-outs, the trend over recent seasons has been the defending team is ready while the throwing team have a huddle, then line-up, then one of the line-out goes to whisper the throw in the hooker's ear, then they line-up again, then the ref intervenes to remind them to keep the gap, and by now the hooker's forgotten the call, so he needs to be told it again!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    Sounds fantastic. Although it wont be untill we see the game in action that we can tell whether these laws work. I remember the ELVs slowed the game down some years ago(although that seems to be a deliberate bok tactic) but these new laws seem really positive.

What happens if the scrum collapses? Does the scrum clock reset, if not is a free kick awarded especially if the time runs out, and what is to stop teams from going for another scrum, and another ad nauseam

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    So if a scrum collapses, or one side takes longer than a minute to get ready, what's the penalty? Free kick to the other side?

And with line-outs, the trend over recent seasons has been the defending team is ready while the throwing team have a huddle, then line-up, then one of the line-out goes to whisper the throw in the hooker's ear, then they line-up again, then the ref intervenes to remind them to keep the gap, and by now the hooker's forgotten the call, so he needs to be told it again!
    Very valid point regarding the lineouts. Should be a 30second lineout clock.. 30seconds to stand players in a line would be enough surely, you can run the length of an entire field in about 11-15 seconds so forming a lineout in 30seconds will keep the blood pumping for the forwards

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    So the Power Try would be the first of this:

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SPaRTAN View Post
    Very valid point regarding the lineouts. Should be a 30second lineout clock.. 30seconds to stand players in a line would be enough surely, you can run the length of an entire field in about 11-15 seconds so forming a lineout in 30seconds will keep the blood pumping for the forwards
    I'm not sure it'd be that much of a problem, the throwing team is in control and will basically get a quick throw in , even if there are a couple of opposition players lurking.

I see an issue with the attacking team throwing the ball into a defensive player returning to an offside position if the oppo is inside 5m, that would be a free kick and that free kick might be useful for chewing of extra territory.

I think teams would rather speed their lineouts up and get a seven on three, to maul immediately, any forward who hasn't made the line is offside and can't join the maul until they've made it onside 10m back from the ruck, by that time, the attacking team should have loads of momentum and the maul will be near impossible to stop.

There are probably other quick lineout tactics which i haven't even considered.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueandblack View Post
    So the Power Try would be the first of this:

So that would be tripleextrameat?

TripleDoubleMeat?

TripleMeatwithBonusMeatSauce?

C'mon the

vCash
    Should be a 30sec clock on penalty kicks (including at goal) from whistle, and maybe even drop kicks. Spending minutes lining up shots isn't on. Maybe even only shooting at goal inside the 22....awarding attacking intent (and defencive perfidy). I can't see why a team should get 3 points when near the half or even in own half.

The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

vCash
    The shot clock in France works you often need to get the tee on to the other side of the pitch

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    So what would happen if you are attacking from inside your own 22 and the power try is on and the opposition commit a cynical foul in order to prevent you scoring a power try? Instant yellow card? I have long thought that the Kiwis are the masters of strategic offending- why wouldn't a smart team give up the penalty just to kill momentum and the risk of conceding a big score?

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Player
    vCash
    Presumably "there is no break in continuity of possession by the scoring team" covers it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    So what would happen if you are attacking from inside your own 22 and the power try is on and the opposition commit a cynical foul in order to prevent you scoring a power try? Instant yellow card? I have long thought that the Kiwis are the masters of strategic offending- why wouldn't a smart team give up the penalty just to kill momentum and the risk of conceding a big score?
    That's why they scheduled a match against the Crusaders.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

Veteran
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    yeah i was thinking about that. Cynicals are an easy way to move from a 9 point score to a 3 point score.

that being said, we are only getting a snippet of the laws, not the whole lot, so hopefully they are taken into account some how.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    do you have to use the same ball for a quick lineout?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast