Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Force international series given stamp of approval

Champion
    vCash

Force international series given stamp of approval

Bit more on the ad campaign too

Nick Taylor | The West Australian
    Saturday, 14 April 2018 10:51AM

Rugby’s controlling body has given the go-ahead for Western Force international matches in the new World Series Rugby tournament.
    The move comes three weeks ahead of the Force’s first game at nib Stadium against the Fiji Warriors.
    The seven-game series will also feature international sides Tonga, Samoa and Hong Kong, Super Rugby clubs Rebels and Crusaders and a Japanese team.
    WSR is backed by mining magnate Andrew Forrest, who vowed to resurrect the Force after they were axed from Super Rugby by Rugby Australia last year.
    Meanwhile, the Force have recruited big names from politics and sport to ramp up their profile.
    The club’s new advertising campaign includes rallying calls from Forrest, new WA Governor Kim Beazley, Justin Langer, Matthew Pavlich, John Worsfold, Dennis Cometti and former Force captain Matt Hodgson.
    Forrest said WSR would change the face of rugby.

More here

https://thewest.com.au/sport/western...-ng-b88805590z

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    So the question is did RA...
    1. Delay the approval as long as possible to try and derail the WSR concept, or
    2. Wait until they were lean on heavily to approve it by the IRB, or
    3. Approve it at the last minute because they realised it was going ahead regardless and they wanted to appear vaguely in control of rugby in this country still?

vCash
    It doesn't suggest that the new competition to be launched next year has been approved.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    Does it mean approved by RA or World Rugby?

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valzc View Post
    Does it mean approved by RA or World Rugby?
    Suggests to me World Rugby. They are the controlling body of international matches after RA has ticked off.
    Just a formality anyway if you ask me. It's going ahead with or without RA approval.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Yes confirmed as per Hodgo-IRB have approved fixtures etc, all good to go. Who gives a shit about RA-those dikwits are past use by date!

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I wonder if World Rugby are actually acting on Tonkar's lead work. They didn't respond to Tonkar's emails. I sent them one myself with no reply. When Tonkar rang them they didn't know what was going on and were astounded to hear what he actually had to say.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakkies View Post
    I wonder if World Rugby are actually acting on Tonkar's lead work. They didn't respond to Tonkar's emails. I sent them one myself with no reply. When Tonkar rang them they didn't know what was going on and were astounded to hear what he actually had to say.
    I believe they are actually fully aware of all that’s been going on, Twiggy has had good relations with the IRB (being a person of integrity & business sense an’ all). So I wouldn’t underestimate Twiggy’s powerful connections in world affairs as opposed to the chicken feed that are the RA.

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valzc View Post
    I believe they are actually fully aware of all that’s been going on, Twiggy has had good relations with the IRB (being a person of integrity & business sense an’ all). So I wouldn’t underestimate Twiggy’s powerful connections in world affairs as opposed to the chicken feed that are the RA.
    Having Michael Lynagh in London talking directly to Chairman of World Rugby Bill Beaumont on behalf of World Series/ IPRC would have helped. There was a low profile visit by Vice-Chairman Agustin Pichot to Perth recently and Pichot was reportedly hosted by Twiggy.
    And I am sure the the 19 Asian rugby countries were also in Beaumont and Pichot ears.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JSJ View Post
    I am sure the the 19 Asian rugby countries were also in Beaumont and Pichot ears.
    While that may all be true, what has been reported is seven matches approved, that being announced a week after public ticket sales opens stinks of "this is happening anyway and we don't want it to be given the status of a rebel comp so we'd better endorse it

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    While that may all be true, what has been reported is seven matches approved, that being announced a week after public ticket sales opens stinks of "this is happening anyway and we don't want it to be given the status of a rebel comp so we'd better endorse it
    I would think that this is just part of getting something new happening.
    There would have been verbal approvals before this formal approval (which probably explains Pichot's time in Perth).
    What it means is that World Rugby referees will be available for the matches.
    There's no doubt in my mind that Minderoo is working very closely with World Rugby and this wasn't a last minute thing.

The Minderoo team have done an amazing job to go from zero (in early January) to this stage in just 3 months.
    Both Tim Sampson and Van Humphries were at the Joondalup game yesterday and were very up-beat about how the squad is shaping up in such a short time. Both amazed by the quality and make-up of the squad.
    Was also good to see the WF players turn out for Brothers and Roodogs. How was it at other games??

Was also pleasing to hear that Michael Foley handed out jerseys to the Brothers Premier Grade team.
    The naysayers can say what they like.....IMO it's fantastic that Foley is still involved in Rugby in WA.
    I hope that he gets a chance to have some input into the Western Force scrums.

Hodgo gave the impression that the proposed rule changes are likely to go ahead.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Was wonderful to see Foley there, it would be a shame not to have his involvement in rugby in WA and he obviously misses it. He seemed genuinely pleased & surprised how welcoming everyone was to have him there.

Player
    vCash
    Just noticed Samoa are playing the return leg of a WC qualifier against Germany or Portugal on 14 July. Isn't that when they are due to play the Force? Now I wouldn't expect Samoa's absolute best team to be available for the Force game, but would expect it to include a number of WC likely players. Better for the Force, the fans, and for Samoa if the game against the Force was rescheduled to allow Samoa to field a very high quality team, and help them prepare for a vital WC qualifier.

Didn't know where else to post this so Mods please move as appropriate.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Transiting View Post
    Just noticed Samoa are playing the return leg of a WC qualifier against Germany or Portugal on 14 July. Isn't that when they are due to play the Force? Now I wouldn't expect Samoa's absolute best team to be available for the Force game, but would expect it to include a number of WC likely players. Better for the Force, the fans, and for Samoa if the game against the Force was rescheduled to allow Samoa to field a very high quality team, and help them prepare for a vital WC qualifier.

Didn't know where else to post this so Mods please move as appropriate.
    Hmmm well thats a spanner in the works...

https://www.rugbyworldcup.com/news/334819

World Rugby has announced the rescheduling of Samoa’s Rugby World Cup 2019 qualification matches within a new programme of matches in June and July. The programme will provide certainty for the union, players and fans, while maximising preparation in advance of the qualifiers.

vCash
    Wonder if they can schedule in another opponent? (if need be)

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast