Thread: Premier Grade Match Reports Wanted

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Premier Grade Match Reports Wanted

Hi Folks,
    If any clubs would like to share their match reports with us here on TWF, it would be welcomed! Submit it with a photo (will be cropped/resized to be 600px by 300px. or lets say 6" x 3" if you don't know what the hell px means) and I can put them on the front page. You can post to TWF yourself, and I can move appropriately, or email to me, or if they are published to your clubs website you can just drop me a message allowing me to copy/paste from there and I'll post up here with an attribution.

Match previews equally welcome (again, a photo/image to go with it would be great).

You can let me know via coachtwf.com.au

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren View Post
    Hi Folks,
    If any clubs would like to share their match reports with us here on TWF, it would be welcomed! Submit it with a photo (will be cropped/resized to be 600px by 300px. or lets say 6" x 3" if you don't know what the hell px means) and I can put them on the front page. You can post to TWF yourself, and I can move appropriately, or email to me, or if they are published to your clubs website you can just drop me a message allowing me to copy/paste from there and I'll post up here with an attribution.

Match previews equally welcome (again, a photo/image to go with it would be great).

You can let me know via coachtwf.com.au
    Please do. Ive joined the tipping and need the info. Still yet to commit my self to a club as yet. Torn between where I grew up and know some who/have played to the convenience of selecting a team near by so I can drop into a game on a whim.

Champion
    vCash
    Watched the Dogs v Kala.
    Dogs looked a much better and drilled side with good spirit and noticed Brendan Loag, former state coach and RugbyWA development officer, was working with coach Fester (sorry don't know his real name!) who has been a long time Doggie player and Colts coach.
    They should go well this year and shake a few big names.
    They looked to have quite a few of their colts from last year in both Prems and 2s which is a good sign.
    They have a very good full-back and centre and in the forwards a useful front row, a very athletic second-rower and a No.8 who will torment some sides if he loses a few kilos.
    They will not be happy at letting Kala in for a couple of late tries.
    Kala had the usual behemoths that smashed it up when they could get to the ball. They had a couple of very mouthy backs and were lucky the ref and touchies somehow didn't see some of the rather nasty things they were up too in the rucks mauls and generally in the tackle.

Fulvio. I heard Pally dropped 3rd Grade. Lack of numbers or, as I also heard, the club was standing firm on players not registering? If that is the case then the committee deserve a pat on the back.

What news from other grounds?

Champion
    vCash
    So nobody else watched a game at the weekend?

vCash
    Southern Lions v Cottesloe (25 – 55)
    On a perfect day for rugby, Cott introduced the Lions to Premiership rugby with a hard and fast physical tempo accompanied by an opening gambit of two quick tries. The Cott pack in their first scrum just a couple of minutes in, against some youthful and nowhere near comparable size Lions pack; sent them upwards and backwards resulting in the opening try from the easiest of possession sets

With pacy movement, speed of thought and feet and another score was added soon after with the Cott scrum half directing traffic and making the first of many incisive runs through the Lions defence. It wasn’t quite rabbit in headlights, but a naive defence was caught ball watching on several occasions whilst the Cott pods’ structure made light work of stretching the Lions. Whilst they attempted some organised double hits on the Cott ball carriers they simply weren’t effective enough in slowing the ball down or knowing when to let go and return to the D structure.

The Cott pack obviously realised they had the upper hand and took it on themselves to make gains into the Lions defence, missing many opportunities to go wide and use some gas outside albeit any distribution from the starting gulls 10 looked fairly laboured. Lions on the other hand didn’t appear to miss their top try scorer from last year with a handy centre pairing that let very little through and made inroads themselves.

With some reasonable ball at last for the Lions, a long miss pass moving the ball away from congestion and into space saw another pacy member of the backline straighten his line and went through untouched to score under the posts in a move of excellent execution.

The second half started in the same way as the first with a couple of tries for Cott through the same defence slicing Cott 9 making all the ground and making the forward carriers look good. He then gave them a little respite with the first introduction of a kicking game, nudging it deep into the Lions half reliving the forwards of doing themselves – only to be castigated by the very vocal coaches whom wanted it in hand. It was a great kick, good vision and they scored from the pressure created. Well done 9, however do spend some time on your box kicking as it’ll be needed later on in the season and this wasn’t a good demonstration of the tactic.

The 10/12 swap in backline structure late in the second half saw more effective use of the good bal being provided and even though the blue backs were lively and wanting to run it when they got possession – run it not pass it; they were rounded a couple of times when more of the rare Lions possession was given width that resulted in not only good territory but a the second tries from the Lions’ speedsters. They were also responsible for a couple of possession from the restart, something that the Cott pack most certainly will be doing this week at training.

Quite simply the amount of possession and territory in Cott’s favour over the course of the game was fairly reflective in the scoreline, but still, the Lions put 25 points past them and they’ll only get better with the youngsters they’re bringing through.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The whole point of rugby is that it is, first and foremost, a state of mind, a spirit." - Jean-Pierre Rives

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    You can't play in any grade unless registered.

This year registration is online and must be accompanied by payment.

All clubs know who the registered players are as they are named online for all clubs.

Any club who plays a player who is not registered is cheating, and should lose competition points.

Palmyra only had enough registered players to play firsts, seconds and colts.

We don't get dispensation for unregistered players. Neither should anyone else.

And the numbers were not great as well, but that's the same for everyone this season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut View Post
    You can't play in any grade unless registered.

This year registration is online and must be accompanied by payment.

All clubs know who the registered players are as they are named online for all clubs.

Any club who plays a player who is not registered is cheating, and should lose competition points.

Palmyra only had enough registered players to play firsts, seconds and colts.

We don't get dispensation for unregistered players. Neither should anyone else.

And the numbers were not great as well, but that's the same for everyone this season.
    Where the fruck has everyone gone?? Clubs like Paly were putting out 6 sides not that long ago?

vCash
    Ask the Wanneroo President, who's also President of RugbyWA.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut View Post
    Ask the Wanneroo President, who's also President of RugbyWA.
    Ask him where the Palmyra players are?

vCash
    Oh, no, we know where they are.

They're playing for Arks, Associates, Southern Lions, Gordon, the Brumbies ....

Or sitting on a beach somewhere ...

vCash
    So much for being a match reports' thread

"The whole point of rugby is that it is, first and foremost, a state of mind, a spirit." - Jean-Pierre Rives

Rookie
    vCash
    This is a good chat about local rugby, well done Paula and Connor! http://theforwardpass.podbean.com/

Apprentice
    vCash
    Went to watch the Uni v Roo dogs game today.

Went with an expectation that this would be a really competitive game from two well drilled sides. Roodogs last week had some Force inclusions that really stiffened them up front. Uni had 2 force inclusions listed at Hooker and open side flanker.

Quite frankly, Wanneroo had their asses handed to them. Final score was 62-13.

A couple of cracking trys scored for the students by a young winger Tamba Levee... (please excuse the spelling if incorrect), who ended up with 3 for the game. The talk amongst the library dwellers were that 4 or five of the prems starting lineup are still colts eligible.
    Wanneroo skipper Andrew King was brave in a lost battle.
    The students were slippery, looked very sharp indeed and will worry a few sides this year.

vCash
    This week I went to see if the new Arks outfit could register a win against an original Prem club in Perth Bayswater. Arks have recruited significantly and have a lot of hard working people behind the scenes to bring the club into a competitive outfit. Saying that, I might pick the Arks v Kalamunda match in Rd10 to revisit Harrisdale.

Arriving at the new facility, visitors will notice from that top corner there is a considerable drop, sloping towards the opposite corner that may hugely impact game day tactics. Tactics that Baysie used well in paying downhill initially. A first return on that investment came from a clearance kick straight down to the bottom corner where the forward battle commenced, resulting in a twofold win by way of a score and the ascendancy in the pack.

A deep kick off up the hill from Arks was returned to other corner this time, with a similar eventual result albeit Arks defence was fairly strong in the first half but they didn’t manage to slow anything down. Baysie appeared to favour a simpler pod system with direct carriers taking it in with another always ready round the corner, reasonably good ball paid dividends with a second score.

Ark’s game plan was to keep ball in hand, with a more complex pod system deploying forward runners throughout the midfield and wider, however some appeared lost at times as to where they should be and whether to go in … if possession is challenged, get in there and help keep it !

The ball in hand and complex structures did work towards the end of the first half, with a full penalty and it wouldn’t be the only one, being run. Across the width twice going through the hands and gaps appeared for the break that led to the first home score. However, that handling wasn’t always accurate and errors only gave Baysie the scrum and a decent platform from which to strike.

Baysie led the first half three tries to one, with Arks’ response almost like an away goal in the European Champions League, being up the hill, but that wasn’t to change much with the hosts still refusing to put boot to ball and play territory. Keeping possession for Arks became the challenge and with the wingers cutting inside on every occasion, into traffic and the inevitable forward battle that Baysie were winning.

Rallying cries from the home sides’ leaders to try stay in touch with the Baysie points tally, led to the best, almost only Arks kick of the day in a drop out from 22 to 22 and an effective chase to keep them down there. Patience saw the home side keep the ball and move it well with width and lo and behold, a centre rounded the outside and the score came.

Matching the visitors eventually for the try count, it was those home side errors that Baysie took advantage of by keeping the scoreboard ticking over. Using simple game management to take the lead and then stay there, saw Baysie home with a 24 – 19 score line.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Player
    vCash
    Good report Kev!