Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 66

Thread: How Sanzaar could revamp Super Rugby in 2020

  1. #16
    Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Wattle Grove
    Posts
    1,846
    vCash
    5098000
    TWF Contributor!
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    Agree on the music in the first half, found that quite annoying. Thought the quiet drumbeat in the second half was very effective though...almost subliminal, but the changing speed and rhythm was very directly matched by the crowd. Well worth experimenting with further.

    One thing they could (maybe?) do is make sports ears available to everyone. Play the commentary and refs mike on a couple of short range AM signals and let anyone with a radio tune in. There is probably nothing they could do that would better teach new fans about the game, or connect the crowd to the match.
    Agree the music was distracting. The drumbeat in the back ground was good in my opinion built excitement and intensity without distractions.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Generally speaking you arenít learning much if your lips are moving!!!

  2. #17
    Champion
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    South Perth
    Posts
    1,325
    vCash
    5032000
    Another thing I forgot to add. I think we need the Ref and players to buy into the game as well.

    Maybe, just maybe a forward pass a millimetre forward could be allowed to let play go on.. Offside 40mteres from the ruck...hmm let it go.

    A couple of times when Power Play was on... Ref blew a penalty to the attacking team... I think Power Play should continue under such a circumstance, otherwise defending teams will realise a penalty 40metres out maybe better than a 9 point try...

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  3. #18
    Player
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    278
    vCash
    5082000
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansie View Post
    A couple of times when Power Play was on... Ref blew a penalty to the attacking team... I think Power Play should continue under such a circumstance, otherwise defending teams will realise a penalty 40metres out maybe better than a 9 point try...
    The obvious solution is such a penalty doesn't break the "continuous possession" if the attacking team chooses to tap and run.

    4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  4. #19
    Senior Player SPaRTAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    572
    vCash
    7728000
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansie View Post
    Another thing I forgot to add. I think we need the Ref and players to buy into the game as well.

    Maybe, just maybe a forward pass a millimetre forward could be allowed to let play go on.. Offside 40mteres from the ruck...hmm let it go.

    A couple of times when Power Play was on... Ref blew a penalty to the attacking team... I think Power Play should continue under such a circumstance, otherwise defending teams will realise a penalty 40metres out maybe better than a 9 point try...
    Yep couldn't agree more.

    If you are the attacking team then maybe if you are going for a powerplay try and a penalty offence occurs against you then maybe there could be an option to either 'tap' the ball and resume the powerplay, or kick for touch and maybe lose the powerplay but gain possession and territory from the lineout instead. So it gives an option and if offenses do occur to shut down a potential powerplay opportunity you dont lose it.

    I noticed the fijians tried to hang/hold players off forming the lineout instead of joining them at speed. Maybe if the defensive team doesnt form a lineout quick enough and the defending team is ready and throws in quickly then the players who never made it into the line for the defending team are out of play untill the first ruck? Maybe the closest players to the lineout are determined to be out of play.

    Didnt notice any real speed up for the scrums but this could have been more to do with the ref not enforcing the new law very well?

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  5. #20
    Senior Player SPaRTAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    572
    vCash
    7728000
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveWA View Post
    The obvious solution is such a penalty doesn't break the "continuous possession" if the attacking team chooses to tap and run.
    Yep agree with that.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  6. #21
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    perth
    Posts
    24
    vCash
    5004000
    How about if the opposition commit a penalty offence during a power play then a choice of 10 metres with a tap and continuation or the the standard kick losing the power play . I noticed very few scrum resets . Maybe due to the 1 min rule .

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  7. #22
    Immortal GIGS20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Rockingham
    Posts
    17,813
    vCash
    4098000
    The Bronze Star of Faith
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansie View Post
    Another thing I forgot to add. I think we need the Ref and players to buy into the game as well. Maybe, just maybe a forward pass a millimetre forward could be allowed to let play go on.. Offside 40mteres from the ruck...hmm let it go. A couple of times when Power Play was on... Ref blew a penalty to the attacking team... I think Power Play should continue under such a circumstance, otherwise defending teams will realise a penalty 40metres out maybe better than a 9 point try...
    I reckon the easiest tweak to power try is to allow the attacking team to tap and continue the power try attempt, would certainly limit the effectiveness of the cynical penalty.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

  8. #23
    Immortal GIGS20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Rockingham
    Posts
    17,813
    vCash
    4098000
    The Bronze Star of Faith
    Quote Originally Posted by SPaRTAN View Post
    Yep couldn't agree more. If you are the attacking team then maybe if you are going for a powerplay try and a penalty offence occurs against you then maybe there could be an option to either 'tap' the ball and resume the powerplay, or kick for touch and maybe lose the powerplay but gain possession and territory from the lineout instead. So it gives an option and if offenses do occur to shut down a potential powerplay opportunity you dont lose it. I noticed the fijians tried to hang/hold players off forming the lineout instead of joining them at speed. Maybe if the defensive team doesnt form a lineout quick enough and the defending team is ready and throws in quickly then the players who never made it into the line for the defending team are out of play untill the first ruck? Maybe the closest players to the lineout are determined to be out of play. Didnt notice any real speed up for the scrums but this could have been more to do with the ref not enforcing the new law very well?
    I watched the rebels game (well most of the first half) mainly because I enjoy watching them lose and realised that, although you didn't notice it during the game, wsr scrums were actually significantly faster

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

  9. #24
    Player
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    278
    vCash
    5082000
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I watched the rebels game (well most of the first half) mainly because I enjoy watching them lose and realised that, although you didn't notice it during the game, wsr scrums were actually significantly faster
    I noticed the same thing. Perhaps the players, knowing they had a minute, just got on with it ?

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  10. #25
    Senior Player SPaRTAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    572
    vCash
    7728000
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I watched the rebels game (well most of the first half) mainly because I enjoy watching them lose and realised that, although you didn't notice it during the game, wsr scrums were actually significantly faster
    Well after watching the pathetic disgraceful ref performance from the republic on the weekend (i think it was the Sharks vs Highlanders game) and watching how the scrums were managed I can agree the WSR scrums were quicker but the reffing in super rugby in regards to scrummaging has become so bad these days I wasnt sure if it was an anomaly. The sharks highlanders game had some of the slowest most tedious resets I can remember, the crowd just gave up cheering and the game was an embarassment. Comparing that game to the Force game was light years between them in terms of scrum speeds but I still think there is alot more room for improvement. Maybe also including a scrum clock on the TV broadcast for the fans so they can see when its due to expire would help them engage more.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  11. #26
    Veteran Sheikh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    3,849
    vCash
    10592000
    Dry July! 141 Club Award
    I quite liked the countdown appearing on-screen for the kicks; a similar countdown for the scrums would also help. Maybe they can play the countdown music from Letters and Numbers as the clock reaches 15 seconds left!

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

  12. #27
    Veteran Ecky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    2,571
    vCash
    5078000
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I reckon the easiest tweak to power try is to allow the attacking team to tap and continue the power try attempt, would certainly limit the effectiveness of the cynical penalty.
    I reckon the easiest tweak to power try is to award a Penalty Power Try (= 9 points) for a cynical penalty from the opposition, simply trying to prevent the "continuous movement". That'll happen just the once before it stops, I reckon.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  13. #28
    Player
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    278
    vCash
    5082000
    The problem is that even an uncynical (i.e. clumsy) penalty removes the benefit of the Power Try. So Penalty Power Try for cynical and tap = "continuous movement" otherwise?

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  14. #29
    Immortal Book Maker
    Contributor
    Moderator
    travelling_gerry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia, Australia
    Posts
    17,712
    vCash
    5348000
    Tong Master Dry July! 141 Club Award TWF Competition Runner Up! MO-vember Donator TWF Contributor!
    Cynical penalty to stop a power play....Yellow Card..

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  15. #30
    Player
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    278
    vCash
    5082000
    I prefer to reduce the number of arbitrary judgement calls the officials have to make (their job is hard enough as it is). When is it cynical, when is it clumsy, when is it just bad luck? Sure, yellow for foul play but so many times we see a winger try for an intercept and cop a yellow.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Super Rugby Restructured to 15 Teams From 2018: SANZAAR
    By Mtbeaver in forum Western Force
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-04-17, 19:40
  2. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 24-03-17, 21:57
  3. sanzaar-need-lift-game-super-rugby-schedule
    By MI5_Dog in forum Western Force
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 21-02-17, 15:35
  4. How SANZAAR want to fix Super Rugby
    By MI5_Dog in forum Western Force
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-02-17, 12:57
  5. Kiwi 'derbies' under gun in Super Rugby revamp
    By The InnFORCEr in forum Super Rugby
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 15-02-14, 16:18

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •