Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: The RA Board to remain Sydney centric

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FingerTips View Post
    Always has been a mess, now and in the past.
    The only difference is that the favourite drinking holes have been shifted from Crows Nest to Surry Hills.

(PS, Exile: Subbies thinking of leaving the NSWRU!?! Would the NSWRU and their partner in crime the SRU have given a cr@p if they did?)
    The NSWRU will miss out on a lot of players to tax their levy on.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    but,but,but Bakkies,the axing of the Force was to alleviate this happening,tell me this is not so

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveWA View Post
    According to the ARU / RA constitution the board may appoint two directors along with the managing director, so they are entitled to make this call. The fact that one position was replacing a WA director and they didn't consult with RWA speaks volumes about their intent and level of good will.
    Scathing article in the Australian about the new board member appointments by Allan Jones. I saw it on Facebook but when I went back to it, I got pay-walled, Somebody else might be able to post it here. Starts off talking about schoolboy rugby selection, then Quade Cooper, then lays into the RA board member selection process. Asks the valid question who is going to represent WA and the other states.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Schoolboy system just one many metaphors for rugby dramas

I wrote recently about the crisis in schoolboy rugby. No matter what spins you want to put on it, it’s a “club”, a “club” whose spiritual home is St Edmund’s College in Canberra. People with a genuine interest in the game know that, at least in the past, even if it were only a tenuous association, the St Edmund’s entry was the most critical one on your CV.

What is to be done? Well, schoolboy rugby isn’t the only metaphor for the problems in the game, but it is one of the metaphors.

If Rugby Australia are picking up the bills for schoolboy rugby, they should not allow themselves to be railroaded with only one vote on all matters in relation to selection. Even if the panel were effective, which it’s not, being outnumbered on the selection panel is no real voice at all.

It’s time for fresh blood and Rugby Australia should show some “bottle” and force change. We are thrashed by New Zealand Schoolboys. They beat us 80 per cent of the time. England and New Zealand have gone through all of this and have come out the other side a far more powerful entity.

These are facts that the St Edmund’s “club” can’t deny England call their team England Under-18 and the players and coaches are selected by the Rugby Football Union. The best players get picked and are fast-tracked with academy contracts after they leave school.

In New Zealand, only one teacher is part of the coaching team of three. They use the know-how of the New Zealand Rugby Football Union to select and develop players. Whether we like it or not, we’re a joke at this level in the rugby world. But let me pick up the point about being a joke and the need for fresh blood.

I had Quade Cooper in my side when I coached the Barbarians last year. He revealed himself as one of the most outstanding rugby brains with whom I have been associated.

I know what he’s being paid. It’s not average weekly earnings, nor is it a prime ministerial salary — it is significantly north of that.

How on earth can such a player be wandering around, albeit brilliantly, in Brisbane grade rugby at only 29 years of age? Are we so richly endowed with talent that such skills can be ignored? The scoreboard would suggest we’re not. The rugby world sees this as another joke.

But on the issue of fresh blood, the good old ARU, who now call themselves Rugby Australia, again take the cake. They’ve issued a notice of an AGM on April 9. And they’re putting forward two people for election as directors. The rugby world, as opposed to the rugby board, calls it “rubberstamping”.

Two people have been nominated by the Nominations Committee — I have no idea where the “nominations” have come from. But the Nominations Committee is headed by Cameron Clyne, the administrative boss of Rugby Australia; Josephine Sukkar, who’s the president of women’s rugby and a fellow called Mark L’Huillier, a Victorian, who apparently once represented the USA in rugby.

Interestingly, a vacancy on the board of Rugby Australia from August last year has still not been filled. Nor has the vacancy on the Nominations Committee. There’s no evidence, on the agenda of the AGM, that a replacement will be found. The two nominees for director positions are both from Sydney. Were they the only candidates? If not, who were the others? And if there were no “others”, why weren’t there?

This means that on the board of Rugby Australia, there will be seven directors from Sydney and two from Brisbane, giving new meaning to the title Rugby “Australia”. It’s a bit hard to convince the rugby diehards that we’re a national game with a national perspective. Even in what’s called, by some, as the “bad old days’’, the minor states had at least one director.

Whether these people are known to the rugby world or not, I have no idea. How they came to be nominated, I have no idea.

In the Notice of the Annual General Meeting, there’s some biographical detail on John Wilson, who’s described as having “global business experience, financial skills, strong connections to the Victorian corporate and rugby community and a substantial contribution to the rugby community as Chair of the Australian Rugby Foundation.”

We’re told he has 30 years’ business experience. I may be alone in believing that what we need is just a touch of rugby experience.

Then there’s Hayden Rorke being presented, at the AGM, by the Nominations Committee. We’re also told that he has “extensive business experience”, but at least in Rorke’s defence, he has been a player, a coach and an administrator with the Gordon Rugby Football Club in Sydney.

The point is simple — where have these names come from? Were the positions advertised? And what objective expertise does this depleted Nominations Committee have to choose people who can best advance the interests of Australian Rugby?

It’s surely clear that the big gap in Australian rugby today is knowledge — knowledge of how the game should be played, how it should be coached, how it should be administered, how we recruit players and hold players, how we pay players and, above all, how we are going to get back on top of the rugby world.

Is it really valid to be signing coaches up for three or four years? What are they going to do in three years that they can’t do in one? Why shouldn’t the tenure be for one year?

It was always the case for people like Bob Templeton, Bob Dwyer and myself — nothing wrong with that. Be judged at the end of the year on whether you should be retained for the next year, rather than fail and receive a massive payout for your failure.

But who on the board of Australian Rugby has any knowledge of any of this? And who is the voice for rugby in Western Australia?

Poor crowds and terrible television ratings for Super Rugby reflect the unacceptable state of our game. Go to Europe and the crowds for the Six Nations are massive. Watch a Super Rugby game on TV and the stands are empty.

I’m delighted to note that a new Western Force side was launched on March 6. A good team has been recruited, seven fixtures organised for this year. At least Andrew Forrest cares about rugby in WA. But if Rugby Australia is to live up to its name, that should be their job, not the job of Andrew Forrest.

It’s clear that the problems in Australian rugby are widespread, endemic, unaddressed and therefore unsolved and unlikely to be solved. And if the administrative arm of the game can’t get things right and can’t open the game to a bit of democracy and is preoccupied with promoting mates rather than the best, it’s a bit hard to imagine how performances on the paddock, by international rugby standards, are likely to improve.

Alan Jones is a former Wallabies coach, host of the Alan Jones Breakfast Show on 2GB and the Macquarie Radio network and Jones and Co on Sky News every Tuesday night.
    https://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...638ca5a83585d6

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by volvo View Post
    [B]
    But on the issue of fresh blood, the good old ARU, who now call themselves Rugby Australia, again take the cake. They’ve issued a notice of an AGM on April 9. And they’re putting forward two people for election as directors. The rugby world, as opposed to the rugby board, calls it “rubberstamping”.

Two people have been nominated by the Nominations Committee — I have no idea where the “nominations” have come from. But the Nominations Committee is headed by Cameron Clyne, the administrative boss of Rugby Australia; Josephine Sukkar, who’s the president of women’s rugby and a fellow called Mark L’Huillier, a Victorian, who apparently once represented the USA in rugby.

Interestingly, a vacancy on the board of Rugby Australia from August last year has still not been filled. Nor has the vacancy on the Nominations Committee. There’s no evidence, on the agenda of the AGM, that a replacement will be found. The two nominees for director positions are both from Sydney. Were they the only candidates? If not, who were the others? And if there were no “others”, why weren’t there?

This means that on the board of Rugby Australia, there will be seven directors from Sydney and two from Brisbane, giving new meaning to the title Rugby “Australia”. It’s a bit hard to convince the rugby diehards that we’re a national game with a national perspective. Even in what’s called, by some, as the “bad old days’’, the minor states had at least one director.

Whether these people are known to the rugby world or not, I have no idea. How they came to be nominated, I have no idea.

In the Notice of the Annual General Meeting, there’s some biographical detail on John Wilson, who’s described as having “global business experience, financial skills, strong connections to the Victorian corporate and rugby community and a substantial contribution to the rugby community as Chair of the Australian Rugby Foundation.”

We’re told he has 30 years’ business experience. I may be alone in believing that what we need is just a touch of rugby experience.

Then there’s Hayden Rorke being presented, at the AGM, by the Nominations Committee. We’re also told that he has “extensive business experience”, but at least in Rorke’s defence, he has been a player, a coach and an administrator with the Gordon Rugby Football Club in Sydney.

The point is simple — where have these names come from? Were the positions advertised? And what objective expertise does this depleted Nominations Committee have to choose people who can best advance the interests of Australian Rugby?

It’s surely clear that the big gap in Australian rugby today is knowledge — knowledge of how the game should be played, how it should be coached, how it should be administered, how we recruit players and hold players, how we pay players and, above all, how we are going to get back on top of the rugby world.

Is it really valid to be signing coaches up for three or four years? What are they going to do in three years that they can’t do in one? Why shouldn’t the tenure be for one year?

It was always the case for people like Bob Templeton, Bob Dwyer and myself — nothing wrong with that. Be judged at the end of the year on whether you should be retained for the next year, rather than fail and receive a massive payout for your failure.

But who on the board of Australian Rugby has any knowledge of any of this? And who is the voice for rugby in Western Australia?

Poor crowds and terrible television ratings for Super Rugby reflect the unacceptable state of our game. Go to Europe and the crowds for the Six Nations are massive. Watch a Super Rugby game on TV and the stands are empty.

I’m delighted to note that a new Western Force side was launched on March 6. A good team has been recruited, seven fixtures organised for this year. At least Andrew Forrest cares about rugby in WA. But if Rugby Australia is to live up to its name, that should be their job, not the job of Andrew Forrest.

It’s clear that the problems in Australian rugby are widespread, endemic, unaddressed and therefore unsolved and unlikely to be solved. And if the administrative arm of the game can’t get things right and can’t open the game to a bit of democracy and is preoccupied with promoting mates rather than the best, it’s a bit hard to imagine how performances on the paddock, by international rugby standards, are likely to improve.

Alan Jones is a former Wallabies coach, host of the Alan Jones Breakfast Show on 2GB and the Macquarie Radio network and Jones and Co on Sky News every Tuesday night.
    https://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...638ca5a83585d6
    I see on Facebook that John Edwards says that RWA nominated Diane Smith-Gander and neither she or RWA even got a response.
    https://cew.org.au/members/diane-smith-gander/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JSJ View Post
    I see on Facebook that John Edwards says that RWA nominated Diane Smith-Gander and neither she or RWA even got a response. https://cew.org.au/members/diane-smith-gander/
    I don't see their Point, should is very short in the key selection criteria. the link shows No real links to melbourne Limited experience in banking No apparent connection to Sydney uni rugby club Previous experience in sports administration She won't fit in very well at all

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I don't see their Point, should is very short in the key selection criteria. the link shows No real links to melbourne Limited experience in banking No apparent connection to Sydney uni rugby club Previous experience in sports administration She won't fit in very well at all
    Her luck has come in then!

Champion
    vCash
    RugbyWA put forward a candidate for the Rats Arse board, Dianne Smith-Gander, but neither RugbyWA nor Dianne received a reply from Rats Arse. We don't exist.

Champion
    vCash
    Reading the stories about the cricket ball tampering, one thing that caught my eye, how quickly the Australian Sports Commission jumped in and condemned the cheating and told CA what to remove Smith, which the CA was not planning to do immediately. Where does the ASC stand on all the proven cheating and skullduggery by the ARU in the culling of the Force and survival of the Rebels, which has been revealed by the Senate Inquiry and the Sunday Times?

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/...emoved-captain

"The Australian Sports Commission (ASC) Chair John Wylie, the ASC Board, and CEO Kate Palmer - essentially speaking for the Australian government - called for severe action against the team. "The ASC condemns cheating of any form in sport," it said in a statement. "The ASC expects and requires that Australian teams and athletes demonstrate unimpeachable integrity in representing our country.

"Given the admission by Australian captain Steve Smith, the ASC calls for him to be stood down immediately by Cricket Australia, along with any other members of the team leadership group or coaching staff who had prior awareness of, or involvement in, the plan to tamper with the ball. This can occur while Cricket Australia completes a full investigation."

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    "The ASC expects and requires that Australian teams and athletes demonstrate unimpeachable integrity in representing our country."
    So, the ASC doesn't require Australian sports administrators to demonstrate unimpeachable integrity, then.

Maybe they are worried that if they start investigating Rugby's administration then someone will ask if the ASC has unimpeachable integrity itself, and maybe that could open a huge can of worms. (Not that I know of the ASC doing anything wrong, but people in glass houses, and all that.)

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3