Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: RA missed a huge opportunity that the NRL have taken at optus stadium

vCash
    Yes; it hurts a helluvalot to have had two teams shifted to Melbourne. A helluvalot.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Yes; it hurts a helluvalot to have had two teams shifted to Melbourne. A helluvalot.
    Especially with so many good locals in the pipeline, for both codes.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    We would all assemble at Tullamarine before an interstate game, a bunch of big blokes in uniform.

People would be looking at us, tilting their heads a bit, trying to figure out who we were.

Then you’d get the tug on the sleeve.

‘Excuse me, are you basketballers?’

No, sir. We’re the Melbourne Storm. We play rugby league.’

Those days – the 2003 and 2004 seasons in my case – are long gone now in Melbourne. Twenty years of on-field success and off-field educational and promotional work has turned once foreign territory into a new market for rugby league. That’s been massive for the code, broadcasters and junior development.

I see similar opportunities over here in Perth.

We’ve been staying in Scarborough for the last four days ahead of our season opener against the Bulldogs, part of a big double-header to open the NRL season at the new Perth Stadium.

The appetite for rugby league here is huge. People know who we are, what we’ve done and are asking us all the right questions like, ‘When’s Billy back?’ and ‘Can you guys go back-to-back?’ More than 40,000 tickets had been pre-sold as of Friday.

It’s a lot further advanced than those early seasons at the Storm. That stands to reason. An NRL franchise in Western Australia wouldn’t be starting from scratch. This is a city that was once home to the Western Reds in the old ARL competition. And, until a few months ago, it had the Western Force.

The withdrawal of the Force from Super Rugby makes the timing of these games particularly interesting. I’ve played about half a dozen games in Perth through the years, including a Test match against the Kiwis in 2016, but this is the first time we’ve done so with no Force.

It’s a great time to talk about setting up an NRL team over here.

Read more at https://www.playersvoice.com.au/came...XQIMzGLoeKi.99

vCash
    The Telstra NRL premiership games were held at Optus Stadium

I bet it didn't look like Optus Stadium in the broadcast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    NIB is still better for viewing but Optus is a 100x better than subi for viewing from where everyone I sat...
    +1 The view as you walk full circle inside the stadium is awesome. Watched the Bunnies game in our preassigned seats, then stood at one of the bar type benches overlooking the ground for the Doggies game - doesn't get much better. Only downside was having to stand next to some feral Storm supporters

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post

‘Excuse me, are you basketballers?’

No, sir. We’re the Melbourne Storm. We play rugby league.’

Those days – the 2003 and 2004 seasons in my case – are long gone now in Melbourne. Twenty years of on-field success and off-field educational and promotional work seem to have come to SFA really when you look at our junior development. We can take journeyman players and turn them into winners but in 20 years we have only produced 2 Victorian first graders. And those two only lasted a couple of seasons in the NRL. So when you look at WA's record in comparison, the Reds should have never been shut down.
    Fixed.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Wearing Force shirts & some comments from people about sad to lose the Force, and then informing all & sundry that WE’re BACK! No one had heard the news, so am a bit cross at the lack of publicity it’s gotten from the media.. Nick Taylor’s does his best, but maybe we need a VERY BIG full page ad in the West, and more in evening sports news aka Gossage. Sometimes I feel like I’m talking underwater to people. Some billboards perhaps? And please Rugby WA-can you get them to update those bloody wall panels on that OTHER printers on Loftus Street-drives me insane seeing them every morning! BTW, haven’t seen so many bogans in 1 place since that Chiefs game a few years back!

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    Nick Taylor’s does his best,

Talking of which I read a story on Ian Prior in the Sunday Times today but it doesn't seem to be online.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valzc View Post
    Wearing Force shirts & some comments from people about sad to lose the Force, and then informing all & sundry that WE’re BACK! No one had heard the news, so am a bit cross at the lack of publicity it’s gotten from the media.. Nick Taylor’s does his best, but maybe we need a VERY BIG full page ad in the West, and more in evening sports news aka Gossage. Sometimes I feel like I’m talking underwater to people. Some billboards perhaps? And please Rugby WA-can you get them to update those bloody wall panels on that OTHER printers on Loftus Street-drives me insane seeing them every morning! BTW, haven’t seen so many bogans in 1 place since that Chiefs game a few years back!
    If more people were aware that the Force are back this year it help to boost our membership numbers.

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    NIB is still better for viewing but Optus is a 100x better than subi for viewing from where everyone I sat. Wasn’t going to go but snagged a free ticket. Went in Force gear and found myself cheering for the doggies as everyone hates Victorians😉. Debate over a few plus beers were that storm and rebels were pathetic names for a team and they should be changed to Melbourne Evil and Melbourne Bodysnatchers respectively and by no means possible was these decisions influenced by alcoholic beverages- much🍺
    Talking to the guys at golf, who are all crazy about AFL, they thought "rugby" was back. One guy is a teacher and said that two of the "rugby" players visited his school and were handing out free tickets, while they played "rugby" with the kids and offered him and other teachers free tickets. So I guess they must visited about 40 schools between the four teams with two players per school?
    Personally I cannot stand watching league, but admire them for they way they promote their game.
    I wonder if the ARU have ever got the Wallabies, Tahs, Reds, Brumbies or Rebels visiting schools in WA? I know the old Force did a bit of this in the beginning.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JSJ View Post
    ...I wonder if the ARU have ever got the Wallabies, Tahs, Reds, Brumbies or Rebels visiting schools in WA? I know the old Force did a bit of this in the beginning.
    Yep, Sharpie visited my daughters school. Had a huge influence.

Quote Originally Posted by valzc View Post
    .. am a bit cross at the lack of publicity it’s gotten from the media.. Nick Taylor’s does his best..
    Goss is awesome. Was listening to Baz on 6PR the other morning and he put the boot into the Force. Millsie/Millsy tried talking about their demise being the work of East Coast bias but got shut down by Baz saying "If they had've had 40k fans there every week they wouldn't have been booted out" and other inept arguments. Shits me when high profile AFL figures spout uninformed one liners which shape opinion by the masses.

vCash
    Baz who played with the garlic munchers dare to live outside his bubble. Wouldnt worry bout him

vCash
    Bazz, who had to begrudgingly host the Channel7 Perth Glory show because he was effnick

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SPaRTAN View Post
    Gee, what a disgrace, a golden opportunity for rugby and the new stadium has been wasted and ignored tonight whilst the NRL take advantage of the Souths vs Warriors clash. What a disgrace, another golden opportunity missed by our disgraceful governing body. Shame on the RA for not utlising and launching their product at the new optus stadium, shame on Clyne, shame on him, fucking idiot
    Im confused. What opportunity did RA miss? According to the majority of the members of TWF none of you would attend anything that RA promototed or supported.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post
    Im confused. What opportunity did RA miss? According to the majority of the members of TWF none of you would attend anything that RA promototed or supported.
    The fact that absolutely no Rugby will be launched at the brand new stadium this year. No Wallaby games/ no Force fixtures (due to them axeing the franchise) and no exhibition matches. Glorious opportunity missed by Rugby and Rugby Australia. Next years Bledisloe will be a black out!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast