Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Future SANZAAR

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Future SANZAAR

Extract from The Australian (23/02) by Wayne Smith, copied from Sea of Blue so no link sorry

SANZAAR and Rugby Australia are about to begin formal work on what guise Super Rugby will take in the future, whether it will remain in its present 15-team form or enter a new expansion phase or whether a trans-Tasman competition will replace it.

A SANZAAR draft proposal was approved by the Rugby Australia board last week, as it was recently by the directors of New Zealand Rugby, and it is expected that all four partners — South Africa and Argentina being the other two — will have signed off on it within the next 10 days.

It is understood the SANZAAR proposal prioritised making the existing 15-team model work, which is understandable given all the angst Australia — and to a lesser degree South Africa — were put through last year to scale Super Rugby back from its 18-team iteration. For the first time since 2005, Super Rugby will kick off in Australia tomorrow without the Western Force.

But other options also will be up for discussion, including moving to a more stable Anzac-based competition based on Australia and NZ or, conversely, expanding Super Rugby further to include the potentially lucrative North American market.

Certainly SANZAAR and its members would need a lot of convincing to go back down the expansion path again. It was always intended that the 18-team competition was merely a stepping stone to making Super Rugby into an almost-global competition — with only Britain and Europe excluded — but it was done in such a rush that no one considered how unwieldy it all was.

In the end, the Force in Australia and the Cheetahs and Southern Kings paid the price for SANZAAR’s rashness, although the two South African teams succeeded in relocating to the European Pro14 competition where they achieved mixed results — the Cheetahs coming third in conference A, the Kings seventh and last in conference B.

Only the Force remain out of the loop, although it is planned they will play a series of exhibition matches later this year, followed by the National Rugby Championship. It is understood Canberra Vikings coach Tim Sampson has signed a letter of intent to coach the Force through their warm-up matches and into the NRC.

RA chief executive Raelene Castle noted yesterday that she was uncertain whether the Force would again become part of Super Rugby. “I don’t know,” Castle told The Australian. “And I don’t know because we are at one end of a process and I don’t know what will fly out the other end of the process.

“I’ve spoken with John Edwards (the RugbyWA chairman) that it if it looks like there will be an option for Super Rugby to change its structure, that we would have a conversation with the Force about bidding to be a part of that changed structure. That’s the commitment that RA has made to the Force.”

Meanwhile, Castle and SANZAAR chief executive Andy Marinos will meet with the four remaining Australian Super Rugby CEOs to outline the SANZAAR plan as a starting point for discussion and debate.

“We’re 36 months away from a new broadcast deal,” Castle said. “This is the time we should be having conversations about the future as well.”

Waratahs boss Andrew Hore welcomed that initiative but said NSW had already started down the track of exploring the future of rugby in Australia.

“We felt it was important we play a prominent role in this,” said Hore. “We’re defining our position but we’re still at the preliminary stage. We’ll be discussing this at our board meeting next week.”

Castle pointed out that, independently of SANZAAR, Australian rugby needed to work out what was important to it and to its partners, sponsors and Fox Sports.

Last year, the then Australian Rugby Union sent its delegates off to the London meeting at which the decision to cull the Force was taken armed only with “flexible” advice. The design was well-*intentioned, to give the delegates the ability to be agile, but it surely left the ARU looking like it did not know what its core beliefs were.

Castle’s announcement should ensure that never again does Australia go to a SANZAAR meeting without a fixed idea of what is non-negotiable.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Well this little article should keep things interesting around TWF today!!

M.I.H Twiggy & Hodgo, we need the IPRC to show these bunch of clowns we don't want or need them.

11 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    SANZAAR has consistently shown that everything it touches will turn to mush.
    I hope SANZAAR dies a horrible death after 2020 as it's NEVER worked in the best interest of Aussie teams (the crap fixtures are the proof of that!)
    The IPRC, in collaboration with other teams and Unions in the Indo-Pacific region and with the support of World Rugby, Asia Rugby, Pacific Nations, RNZ & RA, lead professional rugby into the future.
    3 Conferences (West, Central & East) with 2 top teams from each playing off for the IPRC Cup.

SA can link with Europe.
    Argentina can play in the growing Americas region (USA & Canada).

Bring on the IPRC in 2019!
    Exciting times ahead.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    What a load of s**t!! Sounds like the same old we will do what NZ and SA tell us to do!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jules View Post
    What a load of s**t!! Sounds like the same old we will do what NZ and SA tell us to do!
    That's a bit unfair Jules, they've committed to let us bid for a place in any new competition if one opens up.

THat's apparently a firm commitment from Rugby Australia

A firm commitment to do absolutely nothing above what they will allow any muppet who walks through the door and says he wants to have a crack.

Tell me this, would they reject a bid from SA, Tas or NT? Would they reject a bid from Western Sydney, a second Melbourne team or Gold Coast?

No they bloody wouldn't they'll accept bids from anybody, then they'll assess those bids on their merit. Most of them will be shown the bin immediately, but they haven't even committed to save the RugbyWA bid from that fate.

Way to say nothing with spin Raelene.

C'mon the

Player
    vCash
    If SR expands overseas again it will be the death of SR, haven't Rats Arse learnt anything! As for the Force having to bid again to be part of SR F..K OFF Raelene!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Certainly SANZAAR and its members would need a lot of convincing to go back down the expansion path again. It was always intended that the 18-team competition was merely a stepping stone to making Super Rugby into an almost-global competition — with only Britain and Europe excluded — but it was done in such a rush that no one considered how unwieldy it all was.
    Go home SANZAR, you're drunk.

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Not true PG. They absolutely could, IF they were prepared to genuinely look at the root causes of why it used to work and doesn't now. If it weren't possible, the IPRC would be possible. But I would agree that SR right now certainly couldn't, because I think ideology has blinded them to the real causes.

Just as the IPRC will face their issues in time. Can only hope they're smart enough to learn lessons, including from the SR example.

vCash
    “I’ve spoken with John Edwards (the RugbyWA chairman) that it if it looks like there will be an option for Super Rugby to change its structure, that we would have a conversation with the Force about bidding to be a part of that changed structure. That’s the commitment that RA has made to the Force.”

If SANZAAR decides to no longer have the Super Rugby competition then ALL franchises need to bid for a new license for the new competition.

One Team - One Dream - Go The Western Force

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    Not true PG. They absolutely could, IF they were prepared to genuinely look at the root causes of why it used to work and doesn't now. If it weren't possible, the IPRC would be possible. But I would agree that SR right now certainly couldn't, because I think ideology has blinded them to the real causes.

Just as the IPRC will face their issues in time. Can only hope they're smart enough to learn lessons, including from the SR example.
    The IPRC won't be run by failed bankers which is a start.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

Champion
    vCash
    How generous of Raelene! If, and thats a big if, Super Rugby tries to expand again which it probably will not as this years tournament is going to cop a hammering from fans disgruntled with SANZAAR and Rats Arse for their conduct in reducing their previous expansion, then we will be subject to the same bidding process as anyone else who wants to join Super Rugby. The art of saying nothing by saying something, nice spin Raelene.

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Just remember the converse is also true.

Once the IPRC is up and running and moving towards its growth phase beyond the initial 6 teams, the other Australian franchises can make application to join the Central or Eastern Conferences.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    One thing that Twiggy said in his IPRC press conferences that the press have failed to mention in their shallow coverage, that teams in the IPRC won't be playing in a comp that they under the threat of the axe.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

Player
    vCash
    The following is fiction and bears no similarity to real events;

"Ring Ring.....Ring Ring"

John E: "Hello john here"

Raelene: "Kiora John....it's Rae Rae from Rugby Australia. I have some exciting news for you on the future of Rugby and your opportunity to be part of this exciting new dawn. Yes..Project Fleece Twiggy.....oops...sorry John I'm looking at the wrong screen, just let me open the right file....yes....I mean Super Dooper Super Rugby 2020" its very exciting, our consultants say its the way of the future, Elon Musk is even onboard....well I'm not sure where he fits into the picture....but it's ELON MUSK! Our RA board is VERY excited!

John E: "Really, well of course were listening"

Raelene: "Yes...well John we at RA are very excited about Project Fleece......sorry I mean Super Dooper Super Rugby 2020 and to secure your place in it all we need is Rugby WA's commitment to be part of this exciting opportunity".

John E: "Well of course Rae Rae, we've always just wanted a seat at the table. To be part of the wider Australian Rugby community"

Raelene: "Excellent John.....excellent. Great to have you on board bro. Now of course when I say commitment I mean I need you to make me believe John....really believe Rugby WA and the Force want to be part of this. There are a lot of interested parties John, competing bids. NSW are very keen on a second team based out of Gunnedah and they have put in a particularly strong bid John. I can only hold them off for so long, I'd hate to see you miss out. I need that commitment John.

John E: "Rae of course were interested but we need some further detail before committing"

Raelene: "Of course John...how silly of me, the details. The details, are Commonwealth Bank.....BSB 066124.....sorry John can you hold on for a second someones talking in the background. What's that Cameron....I'm on the phone to John.....$50 Million for the bid you say......OK I'll let John know".

Raelene: "Hello John....I'm back......hello.....John can you hear me......John.......JOOOHHHHHHNNNNNNNN!

9 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Brilliant, Moono!!!!

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast