Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Canterbury Rugby Union and Crusaders buy into new Seattle Seawolves team

vCash

Canterbury Rugby Union and Crusaders buy into new Seattle Seawolves team

The Canterbury Rugby Union and Crusaders have taken minority ownership stakes in the American professional rugby side, the Seattle Seawolves.

The Seawolves formed in 2017 and will play in the new North American professional competition, Major League Rugby, which starts in April.

The Canterbury Rugby Union is a major stakeholder of the Crusaders and both say they will look to help develop players for the Seawolves.

"As the oldest rugby organisation in New Zealand we are excited to have secured a small stake in the future of professional rugby in the US," Canterbury Rugby CEO Nathan Godfrey told Stuff.co.nz.

"We look forward to sharing our expertise of developing some of the world's best rugby players with the Seawolves."

The Seawolves will have their first MLR game on April 22 against San Diego Legion in Tukwila.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news...ectid=11993823

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Nice idea, and a chance to: a) give some fringe players some experience with rugby elsewhere, and b) get some cross-pollination of coaching ideas.

I've a feeling that many American rugby players will have experience of college sports programmes, the coaching and set-up of which can be light-years ahead of some professional sports+. More thinking outside the box from the shaky isles. Mindaroo should be considering this, as well (IMO).

(+because, of course, American college sports *aren't* professional, no, of course not!)

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Was thinking the same thing. Could learn a lot about managing and marketing sport from the yanks, both what to do and what to avoid...

Champion
    vCash
    MMM Seawolves are champions in the 1st year....might be something here!

vCash
    Toronto also has a team now. So they now have the Wolfpack competing well in the UK RL setup and a pro Rugby Rugby team(the Arrows) competing in N. America. Lucky them.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Toronto also has a team now. So they now have the Wolfpack competing well in the UK RL setup and a pro Rugby Rugby team(the Arrows) competing in N. America. Lucky them.
    So does New York. Atlanta, New England and DC are confirmed to join in 2020 and it's expected Dallas will be confirmed to be joining them soon. There's a few other groups in the background looking at bidding. LA is one locale that appear active from what has been hinted at. Not sure where the others are.

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    Nice idea, and a chance to: a) give some fringe players some experience with rugby elsewhere, and b) get some cross-pollination of coaching ideas.

I've a feeling that many American rugby players will have experience of college sports programmes, the coaching and set-up of which can be light-years ahead of some professional sports+. More thinking outside the box from the shaky isles. Mindaroo should be considering this, as well (IMO).

(+because, of course, American college sports *aren't* professional, no, of course not!)
    Very few College Rugby programs are Varsity level. Which means on a handful offer scholarships of any kind for Rugby players. And thus don't have the same exposure to athletic training as full Varsity sports do. Many are considered Club sports. Which means that they tend to have access to facilities but not dedicated trainers etc. Many have full time coaches on the pay roll but that's about it.

vCash
    USA was ranked 18th in 7's after the inaugural World Series. They initially dropped to 19th and then progressed to around the middle of the pack and stayed there about a decade until about the time 7's was introduced by the IOC. Since then they have rocketed to 6th then 5th then 1st. Everything I've read about the 15-man game's Major League Rugby sounds full of promise. Can't help but wonder whether the extra funding pumped into 7's has had a knock-on effect in standard and interest in 15's.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WCRugger View Post
    So does New York. Atlanta, New England and DC are confirmed to join in 2020 and it's expected Dallas will be confirmed to be joining them soon. There's a few other groups in the background looking at bidding. LA is one locale that appear active from what has been hinted at. Not sure where the others are.
    I would go for SF instead of LA. More of a Rugby scene in the Bay Area.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    Look and Learn RA..
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    Was thinking the same thing. Could learn a lot about managing and marketing sport from the yanks, both what to do and what to avoid...

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakkies View Post
    I would go for SF instead of LA. More of a Rugby scene in the Bay Area.
    The issue is having a someone willing to stump up the cash to make it happen. There was a group in the early stages of the planning process for the league but they withdrew thanks largely to the fact that the Bay area is notoriously expense to live and operate in. If someone emerges willing to pay the licence fee. Prove their ability to fund operations for a minimum of 5 seasons and then fund operations in the area then I'm sure MLR would be interested.

vCash
    Yeah it is a problem. The issue with LA is that it is so vast you need to play in somewhere central which costs serious coin. Otherwise you will end in a dump like Carson to save money.

I don’t know if they are going too heavy on the Texas teams by having Dallas added to the comp. Florida could be an option place attracts visitors and expats from Britain and Ireland. They could get people like The Rock and David Beckham to promote it.

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakkies View Post
    Yeah it is a problem. The issue with LA is that it is so vast you need to play in somewhere central which costs serious coin. Otherwise you will end in a dump like Carson to save money.

I don’t know if they are going too heavy on the Texas teams by having Dallas added to the comp. Florida could be an option place attracts visitors and expats from Britain and Ireland. They could get people like The Rock and David Beckham to promote it.
    I've seen a couple of posts on other forums regarding a rumour with Texas. Now this is all unsubstantiated and very likely bullshit as the guys I know who are better informed haven't commented on any of it. But, according to this rumour Austin is looking at moving to Las Vegas. Which means if/when Dallas comes online there will still only be two Texan teams.

Regarding LA. Their was a group who had secured exclusive bidding rights last year under the name of LA Coast but they weren't able to find the funding to go any further. They had planned to play out of Championship Soccer Stadium in Irvine. Which is where the head of the bid's business interests were located.

vCash
    I like the Seattle Jersey and that's why I jumped on the bandwagon back in November.

Didn't even realise they won the thing last year

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WCRugger View Post
    I've seen a couple of posts on other forums regarding a rumour with Texas. Now this is all unsubstantiated and very likely bullshit as the guys I know who are better informed haven't commented on any of it. But, according to this rumour Austin is looking at moving to Las Vegas. Which means if/when Dallas comes online there will still only be two Texan teams.

Regarding LA. Their was a group who had secured exclusive bidding rights last year under the name of LA Coast but they weren't able to find the funding to go any further. They had planned to play out of Championship Soccer Stadium in Irvine. Which is where the head of the bid's business interests were located.
    If true that’s not good for Austin’s Rugby scene and the comp if a team is looking at moving after two seasons. The US 7s will likely move to the new Raiders stadium in Vegas in 2020 as UNLV will move from Sam Boyd Stadium to the Raiders. That will be a test for 7s and Rugby in the area.

Houston have had a few test matches now and they are well attended. The beat Scotland in front of 25,000. That’s more than the RA get to watch the Springboks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast