Thread: Rugbyroos

Player
    vCash

Rugbyroos

I heard the announcement about rugbyroos at a club level.

Will this include infiltration into private and public schools? I think it is an awesome addition, but I’d like to see Rugbyroos try to get into mainstream WA as much as possible.

The AFL do a very good job running regular clinics, and organised competitions with Eagles cup for boys and Dockers cup for girls. The put a big effort into educating teachers and winning them over to encourage and establish a presence in Primary school.

I could be wrong, but I think this coupled with the club effort of rugbyroos could see participation grow and win over supporters and players not seen before in rugby circles. This to me would demonstrate success and prove RA wrong.

Eventually building a strong base to develop IPRC players and hopefully wallabies from WA.

The effort would put to shame the lazy attitude that eastern states rugby leaders demonstrate.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Good to see it raised already Mothy. The last two CEOs at the RA have banged on about operating in a tough marketplace. Defeatist and so what.

Rugby has to co-exist with other sports and to allow kids who want to play Rugby and other sports (which the likes of the IRFU encourage as they know juniors do that) the kick off times and match days have to be suitable so players can make Rugby matches. E.g don't schedule Rugby on a Sunday when a lot of league clubs play matches. I understand this is still an issue in Sydney. The attitude of the schools don't help either.

In some unions children can only play a certain amount of minutes in a game. If their coach at school aren't giving them much time they should be allowed to make that up playing for their club. Kids get attached to a club which is often lost at secondary school ages and clubs struggle to field teams.

Player
    vCash
    Bakkies, very true. We need to expose young people to the sport through traditional and untraditional avenues. Allow them to sample and make their own decisions on what they enjoy.

vCash
    Mothy, if I read the press release correctly, RugbyRoos is intended to take the kids who were exposed to rugby in school through the get into rugby program (the one run by the ARU which was used to generate the junior participation numbers they gave to the senate) and introduce them to club rugby and contact.

I think it's clever, using the National funding to hook 'em and saving the local money to turn them into real rugby players.

C'mon the

Player
    vCash
    True but then never saw them at my school

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    True but then never saw them at my school
    It was probably a sham designed to pump up the numbers in New South Wales and Queensland so that they could justify raping the entire country for Junior development money.

They probably only funded 3 schools in WA, because our junior club numbers were the only one in Australia that showed growth.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Mothy, if I read the press release correctly, RugbyRoos is intended to take the kids who were exposed to rugby in school through the get into rugby program (the one run by the ARU which was used to generate the junior participation numbers they gave to the senate) and introduce them to club rugby and contact.

I think it's clever, using the National funding to hook 'em and saving the local money to turn them into real rugby players.

Spot on. Don't force them to choose one over the other at an early age.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

Player
    vCash
    Don’t disagree but they first need to be exposed to rugby and in WA public schools that’s not often.

vCash
    Twiggy will have that sorted with Rugby WA. You need sponsored programs for this. Rugby simply hasn't had the funds and bodies to do this in the past. The AFL's dev officers in NSW absolutely dwarf Rugby's.

I remember doing coaching courses than going out to schools when I was 19 to help out with numbers and relying on someone working with more experience to guide you. It was setting out hats and coaching from a manual which I suck at.

I remember Kanga Cricket sponsored by Milo in the 90s and the likes of Maccas sponsoring AusKick.

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    My son participated in the RugbyRoos this school holidays. He was well knackered after with a full day running around. The kids all seemed to enjoy themselves. Will be great if they can get into the schools

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!