Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Western Force NRC Squad 2018 - The List

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by benny View Post
    Quick question ... and maybe a daft one in that... Is this the same squad we will assemble for the NPC (or what ever its called these days) ?
    The NRC squads tend to be ~35 players, and the Force only has about that number on their books anyway. So they may rest some players (there may not be a lot of point to play experienced internationals like Fourie, Thrush or Pisi), but I wouldn't expect a wide-scale call-up of local players; a fair amount of the young, local talent is in the side anyway. I'm not expecting any of the Force/Spirit players from last year who have moved East to be made available to us, and RA might even ask for, eg, Alcock, Power, Deegan, Iona and Davies to be released back to their other NRC clubs.

It does make me wonder whether Fourie, Thrush and Pisi are going to actually play for us. Fourie would have to oust Iona and Brache, who are looking great and getting a good combination. Pisi would be in a similar position, or try and oust Deegan at 10 (who's been a real find!). Thrush would be a step-up over Lee-Warner, Bardoul and Power, but will only have 3-4 games to make his mark if he only plays the WSR and not the NRC.

I do wonder whether Thrush, Pisi, and even Fourie aren't looking at coaching or player-coaching gigs in the wider WSR/IPRC next year. Any of them would be a good addition to a side trying to start from scratch, alongside a more experienced coach, but providing a 'star name' player who can draw the crowd and combining them with a stepping stone to coaching. Our defense has looked very good at times so far, especially given the short preparation time, and I wonder whether that's down to Fourie (who said he wanted to coach defense) or the other coaches.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Fourie and Thrush are more of coaching roles than a playing roles. Fourie has even been released from the "300 hours club duties" that others must carry out and I expect Thrush will be the same on arrival.

Not sure about Pisi, but I expect Brache will have some USA duties leading up to RWC so I doubt any NRC for him.

Like you I think there may be few more local call ups come NRC.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    I'm not expecting any of the Force/Spirit players from last year who have moved East to be made available to us, and RA might even ask for, eg, Alcock, Power, Deegan, Iona and Davies to be released back to their other NRC clubs.
    To hold both of those positions would put ra into quite an actionable position, given player contracting etc. A consistent policy would be safer, but they're not known for playing safe, are they?

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    To hold both of those positions would put ra into quite an actionable position, given player contracting etc. A consistent policy would be safer, but they're not known for playing safe, are they?
    No, they are known for trying to screw Rugby WA for anything they can. if I were a conspiracy theorist, then I'd wager that we may not get the rub of many refereeing decision come the NRC to prevent us walking away with the comp. I certainly expect us to get few TV games (as normal).

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Senior Player
    vCash

Last edited by volvo; 20-08-18 at 11:51.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Force legend to return for NRC
    August 20, 2018
    The Western Force’s debut National Rugby Championship team will be bolstered with the inclusion of Wallaby and Force veteran Dane Haylett-Petty.

After finishing the Super Rugby season with Melbourne Rebels, Dane will return home to Perth for the 2018 NRC period to play alongside the Force and a collection of local club players.

“I am really excited for the opportunity to play back in Perth in front of friends and family,” Haylett-Petty said.

“Watching on from Melbourne, they’re doing great things growing the game and creating a pathway from community rugby through to professional level.

“I’m looking forward to getting back when I’m not involved with the Wallabies. It gives me a chance to stay involved with rugby in WA and give back in whatever capacity I can.”

Force’s captain Ian Prior will continue to lead the fresh squad through the NRC season.

Twenty-nine-year-old Kalamunda recruit Maalonga Konelio will join the Force after playing for Brisbane City in last years NRC competition.

After a big season with local club Joondalup Brothers and a star performance in the Beachcombers Mauritius 10’s, Sheldon Tarawa has earnt selection in the squad for his first exposure at NRC level.

He will be joined by Associates forward Lachlan Valentine, who is coming off an outstanding season with the Premiership Division Grand Finalists.

The new Force squad will welcome home several players who played over East in last years competition including AJ Alatimu (Brisbane City), Brad Lacey (Brisbane City) and Tom Sheminant (Sydney).

In the Force’s first year as part of the NRC, a number players will also be making their debut including George Pisi, Leon Power, Harrison Orr, Henry Stowers, Jeremy Thrush and Elliot Turner.

The Future Force Academy will be well represented with University of Western Australia products Carlo Tizzano and Jack Hardy and Cottesloe lock Benjamin Grant being named in the squad.

The squad will grow further as it retains Force players Fergus Lee-Warner (GSR), Jack McGregor (Melbourne Rising), Markus Vanzati (Brisbane City), Rodney Iona (Canberra Vikings), Henry Taefu (Brisbane City) and Feleti Kaitu’u (QLD Country).
    https://www.westernforce.com.au/forc...eturn-for-nrc/

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    That's fantastic, they've given the spirit dhp, who won't pull on the jersey, but kept his brother, anaru rangi, etc, etc, etc who will have to play AGAINST the organisation that developed them as players. Way to help us out arseholes.

Now I really hope to be watching a home final against Fiji.

C'mon the

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Can't complain about that at the same time as holding onto WSR players originating from other NRC teams. IMO all players should play for their first NRC team, with or without mechanisms to ensure that is the case, but RA seems to have no interest or vision in structuring a proper competition so laissez faire it is.

vCash
    That's fantastic, they've given the spirit dhp, who won't pull on the jersey, but kept his brother, anaru rangi, etc, etc, etc who will have to play AGAINST the organisation that developed them as players. Way to help us out arseholes.

Listening to the talking heads criticizing just about everything he did on the field on Saturday, you'd think Dane might get dropped! Although if Folau is out injured, maybe Dane will get the 15 jersey he is more used to.

vCash
    But they were right about keeping the entire Force WSR side for the NRC (40-man squad!)

Thoughts:

Will Josh Furno get on the park?

Ben Grant's a huge young lock (204 cm, so even taller than Power) - just imagine what he'll learn if Thrush takes him under his wing.

With internationals and injuries, our backs have been chopped and changed a bit during the WSR, but with Lacey, Uyen, McGregor, Grant, Rod Davies and Dakuwaqa fighting for 3 spots and a bench, will DHP be getting on the field, even if he is available? Plus, our centres will be 2 of: Brache, Iona, Taefu & Pisi. I'm not sure Konelio & Tarawa see much game time, either.

vCash

From the G&G forum it is looks like Ross Haylett-Petty is in Japan playing for Toshiba.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    Listening to the talking heads criticizing just about everything he did on the field on Saturday, you'd think Dane might get dropped! Although if Folau is out injured, maybe Dane will get the 15 jersey he is more used to.
    What I read, that jersey will be going to Maddocks not Dane.

C'mon the

Player
    vCash
    Great Squad!

vCash
    Hmm, I wonder if we will have black'n'gold hooped jersey as an away kit for this competition?

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast