Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast

Thread: IPRC TEAM & COACH

vCash
    I think the Rebels, Boof. They have no money and no sponsor and will be unlikely to be able to squeeze much more out of the ARU so....

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    If Quade Cooper had any sense he should be the first on that list. Nick Frisby to look at an IPRC team as the Force are doing well for 9s already. I believe his contract with Bordeaux is only cover till the end of the season as Yann Lesgourgues and Baptiste Serin are out injured or just recovered.

On the Rabble Cameron sorry TWAS reckons they will be announcing a sponsor this week. They will have to offer Debreczeni a full contract soon which will cost six figures at least as you can't just play a number of games as a starter on a EPS deal. Due to travelling and training full time with the squad. A lot of the EPS lads have part time jobs to supplement their income.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    This comment from Brett:
    I don't believe that for a second. If there was a way for the Force to return to Super Rugby, RugbyWA will sign up in a heartbeat...

Oh spare me!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Brett has been a paid employee for a while now as he writes articles on the RA website.

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    He has been set the record straight.

Player
    vCash
    OK, now that it is 10am who else is sitting on this page and hitting refresh?

Player
    vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valzc View Post
    This comment from Brett:
    I don't believe that for a second. If there was a way for the Force to return to Super Rugby, RugbyWA will sign up in a heartbeat...

Oh spare me!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakkies View Post
    Brett has been a paid employee for a while now as he writes articles on the RA website.
    He has been set the record straight.
    Let's not bee too hasty to suggest that RugbyWA will reject an offer of a place in Super Rugby They have apparently looked into the secession option and rejected it as impossible and therefore are dependent upon Rat's Arse for a number of things, not least of which being the ability for anybody in the state to actually play the game.

I wouldn't put it past the tosspots in Sydney to force RugbyWA into seeking readmission to further their own East-Coast agenda and, if they are confident RutbyWA will stay in the fold, they will be able to bring significant pressure to bear.

That's not the end of the story though. There's nothing to say that RugbyWA can't run a team in BOTH Super Rugby and IPRC. THere's nothing to say they have to commit a cent to any Super Rugby side, nor is there anything to say that they need to use it as anything other than a feeder side for the IPRC Force.

As a matter of fact, whilst writing that last sentence, it occurred to me, that is exactly what RA would be looking for out of a Force readmission, somewhere to place young talent who they don't want to waste a spot in one of the important teams, a whipping boy in their conference to artificially inflate the points tally of their anointed and a little bit of ticketing revenue. I'm not sure that RugbyWA would even need to be very secretive about the strategy, because RA would likely not care about anything other than the IPRC killing Super Rugby in TV ratings.

so, yeah, they might "sign up in a heartbeat" but if they are smart, they'll get an underwriting guarantee from Rugby Australia to cover potential losses since no punter in WA will buy a membership to a part time feeder team for the Waratahs with an expected life span of however long it takes Cameron Clyne to burn through any financial windfall he might gain by spending every cent in the money bin on trying to make somebody in Melbourne notice that the Rebels exist.

ps, I was interested in seeing how long it was going to take for the Aussie teams to get their reality check, so I had a look at the fixtures over the weekend.

Did anybody notice that no Australian team plays any New Zealand team until round 8 (I think) the Tahs get to wait until round 12, after a bye and then they play the Blues at home! Talk about artificially inflate the rankings, watch the top three aussie teams lead the competition until the second half then spectacularly self-destruct once they start meetign some real rugby teams. I wonder what it cost them around the SANZAAR table to arrange that?

Don't tell me, I know it was the second best team in their conference!

C'mon the

vCash
    WA could easily reject re-entry to Super Rugby.

- The competition is still flawed and the SA teams could walk
    - You are tied to a five year participation agreement only so they can cut you at the end of the tv deal. Whereas Twiggy has said that won't happen with the IPRC so teams don't have worry about constant survival. You just can't build a fan and sponsorship base when you are under threat of being kicked out constantly
    - The RA have proven that they can find a way to boot teams out prior to the expiry of the tv deal
    - Tied to the RA's salary cap for Super Rugby
    - Go back to being poorly funded to as a Super Rugby franchise
    - The Force will end up with a shocking draw again

vCash
    WA could easily reject re-entry to Super Rugby.

- The competition is still flawed and the SA teams could walk
    - You are tied to a five year participation agreement only so they can cut you at the end of the tv deal. Whereas Twiggy has said that won't happen with the IPRC so teams don't have worry about constant survival. You just can't build a fan and sponsorship base when you are under threat of being kicked out constantly
    - The RA have proven that they can find a way to boot teams out prior to the expiry of the tv deal
    - Tied to the RA's salary cap for Super Rugby
    - Go back to being poorly funded to as a Super Rugby franchise
    - The Force will end up with a shocking draw again
    Those are all great reasons why we shouldn't participate I know, but that doesn't take into account the pressure that RA could bring to bear. Knowing that RugbyWA will not break away from RA, and therefore being a funding source RA could politely suggest that RugbyWA participate or lose all funding, potential to host major fixtures, lose any support programs, development officers, high performance etc.

In preference to losing all attachment to meaningful rugby they will be forced to suck it up and join...that doesn't necessarily mean they have to participate passionately.

C'mon the

vCash
    Loved Twiggy's comment about the Rebels are Force players anyway and it's a great chance for them to come home!! Haha! So will be wearing and old Force shirt and a new Force shirt at the Force vs Force/Rebels!!

vCash
    Really good article, Twiggy’s not bothering about the ARU ineptitude.
    Attachment 5234

Champion
    vCash
    Invalid attachment

Champion
    vCash
    Nick Marvin admits he knew very little about rugby union five months ago when mining magnate Andrew Forrest came calling.

Since that point he has been on a very steep — and quick — learning curve in his role as chief executive of the reborn Western Force.

Marvin sought a new challenge after 11 years as chief executive of the Perth Wildcats.

That challenge landed in his lap when Rugby Australia lowered the boom on the Force and Forrest stepped in with his radical new plan to transform the sport.

Forrest’s ideas were viewed with disdain and dismissed by sceptics, but the Force are now just seven weeks away from their first game of World Series Rugby, the re-branded Indo Pacific Rugby Championship, against Fiji at nib Stadium.

After being locked in lengthy talks with rugby administrators, Forrest described the speed they had been forced to move to this point as “glacial”.

Marvin is in agreeance.

“It’s frustrating that at every step of the way there is someone that reminds you of how it was done and why this may not happen,” Marvin said.

“Rugby fundamentally has got to change the way it looks at itself. If you keep doing things the way it was done, the result will only get worse.”

The next two years are crucial for WSR, the future of Super Rugby and the game in Australia. Next year’s World Cup may force a slight change in WSR’s charted course, possibly playing matches against sides that fail to make the finals.

But its real impact will be felt in 2020 when the current Super Rugby broadcast deal ends.

“The next 24 months is a very important window in rugby. Next year’s WSR format may be a trial or a skeletal format of the competition that we are aiming for,” Marvin said.

“But that gives us the oppor-tunity to really road-test it. It allows us to build into 2020 and to really have a crack at what could be an all-embracing competition over the entire region.”

Marvin was unsure whether that included Super Rugby.

“That just depends on how things unfold in the sport,” he said. “Nothing is excluded. We are more than happy to be the vehicle for rugby in this region in whatever shape it takes.

“Everyone is welcome.”

Marvin said new RA chief executive Raelene Castle had been “very open-minded and very supportive”. However, there has been no softening on RA’s stand on Wallabies eligibility and whether WSR players will be eligible for national duty.

But that does not overly concern Marvin.

“The impact in year one is minimal and 18 months is a long time before the impact of any decision will take its course. Our interest is for rugby to become a powerhouse in Australia once more,” he said. “We may follow different paths to achieve it, but we will get there.”

There has been a slight shift in focus, including the name change from Indo Pacific Rugby, but there has been no relaxing in efforts to lure home Australian players currently overseas to strengthen prospective WSR clubs.

“In the short-term local talent will have to be augmented,” Marvin said. “There is no harm in the short term of augmenting talent in the hope of building something special over time.

“We have to play the long game, but all good things only come over time.

“The Indo Pacific name is not entirely reflective of the Asia Pacific region.

“The idea is to have something that captures the imagination.”

This article is in both the West and the Australian.

vCash
    The Australian article was written by Wayne Smith so there may be some variances.

Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast